Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Washington not on Big 10's Wish List: Report

2»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,022
    edited July 2022

whlinder said:

I'm calling BS. No way Stanford gets in and UW doesn't.

Stanford satisfies the academis guilt for the Big10 selling out.
    Interesting point
    It also gives Notre Dame another natural rivalry as well. With USC, Michigan, Michigan St., Stanford, Notre Dame would feel even more comfortable. I think there is some merit between Oregon, Washington, and UNC fighting for the other 2 spots. I think Oregon and Washington have the edge, because a 20 team big 10 opens up a 5 team 4 division conference. With the Big 10 west consisting of Washington, Oregon, Stanford, USC, and UCLA.
    Agreed that Stanford gets a big added bump by being a ND historical rival. ND will only fully join a football conference if they can continue to play all across the country and maintain their national brand. The B1G as constituted now gives them that.

If this all happens this year I don't see how UNC gets out of its grant of rights through 2036, but otherwise it would be the logical top candidate in the east.

A 20 team B1G, with ND, likely picks 3 from UW/UO/Cal/Furd

A 20 team B1G without ND probably doesn't happen for a while, but would probably have UNC as the additional eastern team.

A 24 team B1G would require ND and would open up potential options for Colorado, an Arizona school, Georgia Tech, Miami and others...
    Yeah, Stanford doesn't make a lot of sense in a lot of ways, but they do open up Big Ten to a big TV market on paper, open up recruiting in the Bay Area (even though it's dying) and the Central Valley a bit, and a ton of Big Ten alums, and I'm sure wealthy ones are in the Bay Area. Also gives the LA schools someone to play with less travel.
    North Carolina is a head scratcher to me for two reasons: they're relative nothing football school, and their basketball "brand" is eastern seaboard and very much tethered to the current composition of the ACC. I mean, maybe conference affiliation doesn't matter as much in basketball ... you play so many games that you can just keep playing all these same teams. But IDK. It seems like a bad arranged marriage. UNC and Duke will always been UNC and Duke, and no new rivalry in the B10 will even approach that game. Seems odd.

One other thing: agree on all counts relative to Notre Dame, but I'll just say that the ND/Stanford "rivalry" is a weak one. ND/USC is balls. ND/Stanford just doesn't play as well. But apparently they care about it and they're in the driver's seat.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    There can only be one UW in big 10
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,620 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2022

whlinder said:

Interesting point
    It also gives Notre Dame another natural rivalry as well. With USC, Michigan, Michigan St., Stanford, Notre Dame would feel even more comfortable. I think there is some merit between Oregon, Washington, and UNC fighting for the other 2 spots. I think Oregon and Washington have the edge, because a 20 team big 10 opens up a 5 team 4 division conference. With the Big 10 west consisting of Washington, Oregon, Stanford, USC, and UCLA.
    Agreed that Stanford gets a big added bump by being a ND historical rival. ND will only fully join a football conference if they can continue to play all across the country and maintain their national brand. The B1G as constituted now gives them that.

If this all happens this year I don't see how UNC gets out of its grant of rights through 2036, but otherwise it would be the logical top candidate in the east.

A 20 team B1G without ND probably doesn't happen for a while, but would probably have UNC as the additional eastern team.

A 24 team B1G would require ND and would open up potential options for Colorado, an Arizona school, Georgia Tech, Miami and others...
    Yeah, Stanford doesn't make a lot of sense in a lot of ways, but they do open up Big Ten to a big TV market on paper, open up recruiting in the Bay Area (even though it's dying) and the Central Valley a bit, and a ton of Big Ten alums, and I'm sure wealthy ones are in the Bay Area. Also gives the LA schools someone to play with less travel.
    North Carolina is a head scratcher to me for two reasons: they're relative nothing football school, and their basketball "brand" is eastern seaboard and very much tethered to the current composition of the ACC. I mean, maybe conference affiliation doesn't matter as much in basketball ... you play so many games that you can just keep playing all these same teams. But IDK. It seems like a bad arranged marriage. UNC and Duke will always been UNC and Duke, and no new rivalry in the B10 will even approach that game. Seems odd.

One other thing: agree on all counts relative to Notre Dame, but I'll just say that the ND/Stanford "rivalry" is a weak one. ND/USC is balls. ND/Stanford just doesn't play as well. But apparently they care about it and they're in the driver's seat.
    There's just so much bullshit being flung at the moment.

Again if UW vs UO is on ABC at 1 pm and UW/UO aren't talking to big 12 and all the smoke from the beginning has said UO/UW talking to B1G, plus UW removing all Pac 12 logos from tweats, then there's a really really good chance this is headed where it needs to.

But members of these obscure media sites that in no way respect western American football seem to act like if you don't include UNC and Duke football than you're losing out on money.

There's obviously a ton of negotiating and posturing and hopefully this doesn't drag out for 2 years.
  • DawgtillDeathDawgtillDeath Member Posts: 155

Stanford are the golden domers alter boys. If nd says throw in the trees and you've got a deal its done.
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,737
    I really don't get WHY any PAC-X team would actually want to join the BIG-10
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    AOG said:

I can think of 120 million reasons why

AOG said:

I can think of 120 million reasons why
    Yes, sure, if you invest in Fox or ESPN. For the average fan, what???
    I mean, a team is not just a team,it's also the "nation" (sarcasm)
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,466 Swaye's Wigwam
    Lots of Twitter handles trying to make names for themselves right now. If anyone feels like getting Twitter likes rn you can just put "college football reporter" in your bio and come up with a spicy take every 16-20 hours
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 6,076

whlinder said:

Interesting point

I wouldn’t say UNC’s basketball brand is tethered to anything, other than the rivalry with Duke, which has global appeal. UNC basketball itself is one of the top 10 brands in all of collegiate sports, and is top 3 nationally with Duke and Kentucky in terms of just basketball.

Notre Dame fb
    Alabama fb
    Ohio st fb
    Texas fb
    Michigan fb
    USC fb
    OU fb
    UNC bb
    Duke bb
    Kentucky bb

Are imo the elite brands in collegiate sports
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,061 Founders Club
    thechatch said:

whlinder said:

Interesting point

I wouldn’t say UNC’s basketball brand is tethered to anything, other than the rivalry with Duke, which has global appeal. UNC basketball itself is one of the top 10 brands in all of collegiate sports, and is top 3 nationally with Duke and Kentucky in terms of just basketball.

Notre Dame fb
    Alabama fb
    Ohio st fb
    Texas fb
    Michigan fb
    USC fb
    OU fb
    UNC bb
    Duke bb
    Kentucky bb

Are imo the elite brands in collegiate sports
    #myWildcats
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    edited July 2022

Interesting point
    I see the merit... but... two conference playoff games?
    Yeah. There would never be 4 divisions. The rest of the conference would then be subjected to 20 games that they wouldn’t care about. Not gonna happen.

If UW, Oregon and Stanford made it in, they would be thrown into the mix to divisions that the B10 believes would draw the most eyeballs. UW vs Oregon would be an every year game. Possibly UO vs SC as well. The rest of those current P12 games don’t draw the eyeballs to preserve.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,670 Founders Club

Interesting point
    I like to think of it as the collegiate NFL. The Big 10 (afc) and the SEC (nfc). 4 team mini big 10 playoff and a 4 team mini SEC playoff. Each conference winner then plays the other for the National Championship. Creates an 8 team playoff.
    Goodbye bowl games. They've kinda been gone already but this would cement it
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,053 Standard Supporter

Interesting point
    I like to think of it as the collegiate NFL. The Big 10 (afc) and the SEC (nfc). 4 team mini big 10 playoff and a 4 team mini SEC playoff. Each conference winner then plays the other for the National Championship. Creates an 8 team playoff.
    Goodbye bowl games. They've kinda been gone already but this would cement it
    Bowl games have sucked for years. The Ohio state jv squad just beat the pac 12 champion in the rose bowl. It’s just some random shit to put on the tv over winter break when nothing else is on.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,461 Founders Club

Interesting point
    It also props up women's sports for the B10 AND in the revenue sports, Stanford is no threat to the legacy schools in the B10, just like when they added Rutgers and Maryland.

Win all the way around for them.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,022
    Canadawg said:

Lots of Twitter handles trying to make names for themselves right now. If anyone feels like getting Twitter likes rn you can just put "college football reporter" in your bio and come up with a spicy take every 16-20 hours

Agreed.