Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    I'm calling BS. No way Stanford gets in and UW doesn't.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,188

I've seen four of five articles with the same list of four. I don't understand it but it is what it is.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,730 Standard Supporter

Stanford satisfies the academis guilt for the Big10 selling out.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,670 Founders Club

Interesting point
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

Interesting point
    It also gives Notre Dame another natural rivalry as well. With USC, Michigan, Michigan St., Stanford, Notre Dame would feel even more comfortable. I think there is some merit between Oregon, Washington, and UNC fighting for the other 2 spots. I think Oregon and Washington have the edge, because a 20 team big 10 opens up a 5 team 4 division conference. With the Big 10 west consisting of Washington, Oregon, Stanford, USC, and UCLA.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,670 Founders Club

Interesting point
    It also gives Notre Dame another natural rivalry as well. With USC, Michigan, Michigan St., Stanford, Notre Dame would feel even more comfortable. I think there is some merit between Oregon, Washington, and UNC fighting for the other 2 spots. I think Oregon and Washington have the edge, because a 20 team big 10 opens up a 5 team 4 division conference. With the Big 10 west consisting of Washington, Oregon, Stanford, USC, and UCLA.
    I see the merit... but... two conference playoff games?
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,061 Founders Club

Interesting point
    If you go with 2 super conferences, each with 20 teams in 4 divisions, you have seeded conference playoffs amongst the 4 divisions. The 2 winners go to the playoffs.

I don’t like it because the big bowl games will always be superior but it could happen.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Good luck getting UNC out … that’s part of the final move from 20 to 24
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,719 Swaye's Wigwam
    Jeff Ermann of InsideMDSports is your source?
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    edited July 2022

Guy called the Maryland move to the B-10. That gives him some cred. I just don’t see UNC, makes no travel sense. It’s ND, Furd, UO and UW.

Did read a source on tOSU claiming ND and Furd would be announced this week.

Those are the 4 that make the most sense and it gives the B-10 nearly 1/2 of the PAC-12.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited July 2022

Interesting point
    I like to think of it as the collegiate NFL. The Big 10 (afc) and the SEC (nfc). 4 team mini big 10 playoff and a 4 team mini SEC playoff. Each conference winner then plays the other for the National Championship. Creates an 8 team playoff.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,061 Founders Club

Interesting point
    I like to think of it as the collegiate NFL. The Big 10 (afc) and the SEC (nfc). 4 team mini big 10 playoff and a 4 team mini SEC playoff. Each conference winner then plays the other for the National Championship. Creates an 8 team playoff.
    This sounds familiar.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,634 Standard Supporter

Interesting point
    Agreed that Stanford gets a big added bump by being a ND historical rival. ND will only fully join a football conference if they can continue to play all across the country and maintain their national brand. The B1G as constituted now gives them that.

If this all happens this year I don't see how UNC gets out of its grant of rights through 2036, but otherwise it would be the logical top candidate in the east.

A 20 team B1G, with ND, likely picks 3 from UW/UO/Cal/Furd

A 20 team B1G without ND probably doesn't happen for a while, but would probably have UNC as the additional eastern team.

A 24 team B1G would require ND and would open up potential options for Colorado, an Arizona school, Georgia Tech, Miami and others...
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,620 Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

Guy called the Maryland move to the B-10. That gives him some cred. I just don’t see UNC, makes no travel sense. It’s ND, Furd, UO and UW.

Did read a source on tOSU claiming ND and Furd would be announced this week.

Those are the 4 that make the most sense and it gives the B-10 nearly 1/2 of the PAC-12.
    Not on this topic it doesn't. The B1G doesn't give a flying fuck about Maryland anyways.

I'm tuning out on all this shit for a long time. I'll see my fellow doogs in the Shit 12/Big 12 in a few months.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,365 Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Interesting point
    Agreed that Stanford gets a big added bump by being a ND historical rival. ND will only fully join a football conference if they can continue to play all across the country and maintain their national brand. The B1G as constituted now gives them that.

If this all happens this year I don't see how UNC gets out of its grant of rights through 2036, but otherwise it would be the logical top candidate in the east.

A 20 team B1G, with ND, likely picks 3 from UW/UO/Cal/Furd

A 20 team B1G without ND probably doesn't happen for a while, but would probably have UNC as the additional eastern team.

A 24 team B1G would require ND and would open up potential options for Colorado, an Arizona school, Georgia Tech, Miami and others...
    Yeah, Stanford doesn't make a lot of sense in a lot of ways, but they do open up Big Ten to a big TV market on paper, open up recruiting in the Bay Area (even though it's dying) and the Central Valley a bit, and a ton of Big Ten alums, and I'm sure wealthy ones are in the Bay Area. Also gives the LA schools someone to play with less travel.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Most articles I’ve read say Oregon and Washington top 1 and 2 candidates.

I vote for pea patch.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Interesting point
    If you go with 2 super conferences, each with 20 teams in 4 divisions, you have seeded conference playoffs amongst the 4 divisions. The 2 winners go to the playoffs.

I don’t like it because the big bowl games will always be superior but it could happen.
    Is that how you’d do it?

Interesting point

Is that how you’d do it?