Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hardcore Husky Podcast: USC and their Fake Tits Move to the Big 10

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,366 Founders Club

haie said:

haie said:

Oh c'mon Derek this bored would jerk off to playing Michigan, OSU, Penn St every year.

Rutgers Maryland and Iowa and stuff sucks. Whatever.

We would all jerkoff to hosting Purdue and playing 2001 flashbacks on the "big board"

I am slowly warming to the possibility of the Big 10.
    I don't want to play around 2/3 of those teams.

But it's probably worth it if you're playing some traditional powers and getting Arizona and Colorado off of your schedule.
    The geographical aspect and the betrayal of regional rivalries bothers me and always will
    It was a highly regional sport. That was the whole fucking point. USC are fucking cunts. No offense @UW_Doog_Bot
    The Pac12 surrendered football at the alter of wokeness, dei, women's softball or whatever you want to call it.

No team in the conference is going to actually be competitive making 1/10th the revenue while also splitting that revenue with the little sisters of the poor.

USC is serious about football and wants to compete to win. Does UW? All signs point to no.

I'm saddened by the demise of a once proud conference and a lot of regional rivalries but USC isn't to blame for getting in the life boats.

Blame the assholes that ran the ship aground years ago.
    This. West Coast football was already dead, but nobody cared enough to actually bury the rotting carcass. USC did us all a favor with this burial.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,634 Standard Supporter

4.) Jen Cohen is a shitty athletic director because she did things like hire and retain Karen Ramming and twatted at Oregon to rep the North, not because she's a woman and not because a decision made many steps above her pay grade is probably going to leave Washington behind. Besides, throwing her under the bus for UW being left holding the bag is a bit illogical. The podcast starts with how shitty it's going to be if the Huskies are in the B1G (even if it's the best of a bunch of bad choices), then a mere half hour later it's on to how shitty Cohen is for not preempting USC and bailing for the B1G. Lacking a crystal ball, why the hell would she negotiate (well above her pay grade or not) for an outcome that would have pissed EVERYONE off prior to USC unexpectedly doing likewise?

5.) Eh, fuck it...

Haven’t listened yet but these decisions are about the value of the athletic department and the money it can make for TV. (Decent academis institution is a prerequisite)

It was Cohen’s job to make Husky athletics valuable. She has failed. I realize her hands may be tied by the direction given by upper campus but she should be the chief salesperson for Husky athletics to them. And it’s still her job to find success with whatever constraints are in place.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,365 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2022

Only about 35 minutes in because that's the commute length, but a bit of tequilla-length feedback:

1.) Either Stalin is too loud or Woolley and JoeE are too quiet, but this one is a hard one for a deaf guy like me to follow. And Woolley's phone kept cutting out (I'm gonna assume right while I was getting a shoutout). Let's clean it up out there, guysm.

2.) Not just this pod specifically, but on the board in general lately, there seem to be a lot of people conflating "media market" with "eyeballs on the football game." For all the shit talk about Seattle's bigger media market than Oregon and Oregon not being a real national brand and bla bla bla, Oregon outpaces Washington in viewers that actually tune in to watch games, and that's all that ESPN or Fox give a shit about. USC outpaces both, but a lot of that has to do with who they play (ND every year, for instance). There were back to back years in which Washington and Oregon played essentially the same schedule (Auburn opener, CCG, Rose Bowl). Both schools dominated the viewing numbers in those respective years, but Oregon's 2019 edged Washington's 2018 by about four million total viewers. There's not a world of difference between them. I wouldn't also be surprised by some pay for play shit being involved there. Which, I guess is good strategy for situations like this, so whatever.

Besides, I see more Oregon stickers on cars and Oregon shirts and shit here north of Seattle than I do Husky crap. Hell, I bet you see more Oregon gear than Washington in the fucking UW AD hallway these days thanks to Cohen's idiotic hiring...

3.) @WoolleyDoog is going to have to show us where on the doll the soccer player hurt him. The homophobic, anti-soccer demographics rant was a little strange coming from a guy who reps a town in which the primary sporting interest is a bunch of toned anorexic boys in spandex onesies buttfucking each other without actual penetration.

4.) Jen Cohen is a shitty athletic director because she did things like hire and retain Karen Ramming and twatted at Oregon to rep the North, not because she's a woman and not because a decision made many steps above her pay grade is probably going to leave Washington behind. Besides, throwing her under the bus for UW being left holding the bag is a bit illogical. The podcast starts with how shitty it's going to be if the Huskies are in the B1G (even if it's the best of a bunch of bad choices), then a mere half hour later it's on to how shitty Cohen is for not preempting USC and bailing for the B1G. Lacking a crystal ball, why the hell would she negotiate (well above her pay grade or not) for an outcome that would have pissed EVERYONE off prior to USC unexpectedly doing likewise?

5.) Eh, fuck it...

2. Almost all of these Pac-12 ratings has to do with who they're playing against, the rankings of certain teams, and what other games are going on at the same time, which is a super underrated factor. I think Colorado vs. Texas A&M was the fifth-most watched Pac-12 game of last season and that's all you need to know. I don't know where you're getting that 2018/19 Rose Bowl figure as I think the UW/Ohio State one was like the second-highest-rated ever and was higher than the Oregon/Wisconsin one, though that's more about Ohio State than anything.

I'm tired of debating Oregon but since moving back to north of Seattle a year ago I see two Oregon O cars and one is someone I know who played softball for them. The other is a broke down truck in a shitty part of Mount Vernon who I'm sure is some Pweston type. When I lived in LA for 13 years, I probably saw more Oregon stuff because there was a good amount during the peak Chipper years, where I will give them, they had something going, and I think drew eyeballs. Once that shit was over, most of that shit was gone.

The only thing worse than the actual sport of soccer is American soccer fans. We have great fucking sports. Women's sports included. I'm cool with soccer overall and any other continent being into it. Same with cricket for fuck all I care.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,576 Swaye's Wigwam

The only thing worse than the actual sport of soccer is American soccer fans...

Why? You've met tons of both "Twelves" and Oregon fans (not-surprising high percentage of overlap), but it's soccer fans that bug you?

I'm starting to think you were at Dinseyland with your kid, and a guy with bad hair and a scarf said, "Go soccer" to you and ruined your whole vacation. That has to be it.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,188

The only thing worse than the actual sport of soccer is American soccer fans...

Why? You've met tons of both "Twelves" and Oregon fans (not-surprising high percentage of overlap), but it's soccer fans that bug you?

I'm starting to think you were at Dinseyland with your kid, and a guy with bad hair and a scarf said, "Go soccer" to you and ruined your whole vacation. That has to be it.
    Soccer ISN'T football. It's hockey for faggots. HTH
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,869
    I scrolled through the whole thing with no tits.

How dare you derek
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,497 Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

haie said:

haie said:

Oh c'mon Derek this bored would jerk off to playing Michigan, OSU, Penn St every year.

Rutgers Maryland and Iowa and stuff sucks. Whatever.

We would all jerkoff to hosting Purdue and playing 2001 flashbacks on the "big board"

I am slowly warming to the possibility of the Big 10.
    I don't want to play around 2/3 of those teams.

But it's probably worth it if you're playing some traditional powers and getting Arizona and Colorado off of your schedule.
    The geographical aspect and the betrayal of regional rivalries bothers me and always will
    It was a highly regional sport. That was the whole fucking point. USC are fucking cunts. No offense @UW_Doog_Bot
    The Pac12 surrendered football at the alter of wokeness, dei, women's softball or whatever you want to call it.

No team in the conference is going to actually be competitive making 1/10th the revenue while also splitting that revenue with the little sisters of the poor.

USC is serious about football and wants to compete to win. Does UW? All signs point to no.

I'm saddened by the demise of a once proud conference and a lot of regional rivalries but USC isn't to blame for getting in the life boats.

Blame the assholes that ran the ship aground years ago.
    This. West Coast football was already dead, but nobody cared enough to actually bury the rotting carcass. USC did us all a favor with this burial.
    West coast football still has a market and following but the powers that be would really prefer it not.

Pushing all the Olympic and women's sports on the pac12 network is just one example.

USC did everyone a favor by ending that stupid legacy and killing the SanFran based Pac12 administration.

It's time to either commit to football and money or fuck off.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,365 Swaye's Wigwam
    You'll never find a more traditional Pac-10 advocate than me. I did my senior project in high school about making a Pac-10 website. The sad reality I think to come to terms with is things just changed out west to the point where it being a power conference as was doesn't work and it's because the big dogs fucked up and the markets don't like football.

It's actually very unfortunate for the Pac-12 Phil Knight wasn't a USC, UCLA or UW alum. Hell, probably even ASU. If those programs had that investment this may have overcome the big west coast markets becoming college football graveyards.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,719 Swaye's Wigwam

You'll never find a more traditional Pac-10 advocate than me. I did my senior project in high school about making a Pac-10 website. The sad reality I think to come to terms with is things just changed out west to the point where it being a power conference as was doesn't work and it's because the big dogs fucked up and the markets don't like football.

It's actually very unfortunate for the Pac-12 Phil Knight wasn't a USC, UCLA or UW alum. Hell, probably even ASU. If those programs had that investment this may have overcome the big west coast markets becoming college football graveyards.

As @RaceBannon so eloquently points out, we just need a few more "improvements" to get college football just right.

One of the things that really chaps my ass about this latest "improvement" is how UO and UW who both have been CFP teams in the past 8 years get the fucking shaft, while the likes of Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota , Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, et al, get to remain in a relevant conferences.

What shit as fuck sport...

Well, whatever "improvements" happen, it'll still be Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Ohio State dominating the headlines. It was boring 5 years ago and it's still boring today.

At least we will continue to laugh at Sark in Texas.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,061 Founders Club

As @RaceBannon so eloquently points out, we just need a few more "improvements" to get college football just right.

One of the things that really chaps my ass about this latest "improvement" is how UO and UW who both have been CFP teams in the past 8 years get the fucking shaft, while the likes of Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota , Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, et al, get to remain in a relevant conferences.

Well, whatever "improvements" happen, it'll still be Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Ohio State dominating the headlines. It was boring 5 years ago and it's still boring today.

Laughing at Sark in Texas only has a 3-4 shelf life.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,869 Founders Club
    Since 1980 multiple schools have had great runs

It's the current improvements that is locking in the top

Even so when Saban meets the great scorer in the sky Bama will fall
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,120 Founders Club
    edited July 2022

The BCS and Pac/Big 10 giving away the Rose Bowl was the first in a series of "improvements" that led us to this cluster fuck. The game has gotten progressively worse since.

Oregon fucked us all by not beating Penn State in the Rose Bowl in 1994.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,869 Founders Club

The BCS and Pac/Big 10 giving away the Rose Bowl was the first in a series of "improvements" that led us to this cluster fuck. The game has gotten progressively worse since.

WSU losing to Michigan in 97 gave us? the last split title other than USC being voted over LSU who won the BCS in 03 I think
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,120 Founders Club

WSU losing to Michigan in 97 gave us? the last split title other than USC being voted over LSU who won the BCS in 03 I think
    Correct.

I recall folks citing undefeated Penn State in 1994 as a reason why the Big 10 folded on the Rose Bowl.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,364 Swaye's Wigwam
    Maybe I missed the shoutout to @PurpleBaze and his massive dong?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,670 Founders Club
    USC and UCLA have sucked for the past decade. So there's not going to be much of a falloff in 2024.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,022
    edited July 2022

USC and UCLA have sucked for the past decade. So there's not going to be much of a falloff in 2024.
    Agreed. I am agnostic about what this move will do for USC, but I am pessimistic about what it will do for UCLA. Playing Buck in powder blue is bad for your health.