Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Huskies beat Oregon despite only 3 first downs and 109 yards of offense (1984)

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Jon Don Sr was OC?
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,073
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Honestly I think that 84 defense is probably better than 91. They just had shit for offense.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I actually watched it, including some of the commercials.

That was really a dreadful effort by that offense. Millen was twash as fuck.

Always liked how Don James answered certain questions.

Caught a couple of the Honda ads, Seiko quartz fag watch, & Rainier... also the Seafirst ad featuring the surviving members of the 1936 row peter puffer team.

@Swaye
    @YellowSnow
    @pawz
    @creepycoug
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The ranier coneheads ad. Man the 80s sucked
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

Best decade of my lifetime
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,439

ntxduck said:

1980s? 1880s? 1780s?
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

ntxduck said:

1980s? 1880s? 1780s?
    The gilded age was named that for a reason. And Race enjoyed every second of it
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

1980s? 1880s? 1780s?
    The gilded age was named that for a reason. And Race enjoyed every second of it
    Enjoyed the HBO show too
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,493
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022
    Oregon not just being the Kansas/Kentucky-like football program they should be you can beat with shitty performances just about every year is one of the many participants in the gangbang of bad shit to happen around the UW program in the last 30 years.

Before Duck fans rebut. I give Oregon and Phil massive acknowledgment for having the balls to hire Chipper as OC and then even more balls to make him head coach. They easily could have slipped into being Maryland or Oklahoma State in the mid/late-2000s if they had done the kind of lazy hires UW would have done or let Bellotti stick around the way UW would have.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,465
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oregon not just being the Kansas/Kentucky-like football program they should be you can beat with shitty performances just about every year is one of the many participants in the gangbang of bad shit to happen around the UW program in the last 30 years.

Before Duck fans rebut. I give Oregon and Phil massive acknowledgment for having the balls to hire Chipper as OC and then even more balls to make him head coach. They easily could have slipped into being Maryland or Oklahoma State in the mid/late-2000s if they had done the kind of lazy hires UW would have done or let Bellotti stick around the way UW would have.

My only disagreement was that in 2009 it was clear that you had to do anything to keep Chip, whereas with UW in 2019 when defense isn't even king in modern college football, you chose Jimmy who was a minor upgrade if not lateral to what K was doing.

I mean, it hasn't been brought up but if UW just gives K a massive salary to force him to be head coach, he's not a douchebag to recruits and got Smalls in the boat last second, who knows how it would have played out differently.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

My only disagreement was that in 2009 it was clear that you had to do anything to keep Chip, whereas with UW in 2019 when defense isn't even king in modern college football, you chose Jimmy who was a minor upgrade if not lateral to what K was doing.

I mean, it hasn't been brought up but if UW just gives K a massive salary to force him to be head coach, he's not a douchebag to recruits and got Smalls in the boat last second, who knows how it would have played out differently.
    Chip seemed like a very weird personality fit for a major college football coach and I think it's why he ultimately didn't succeed in the NFL or at UCLA.

In hindsight, it seems to clear riding the K train was better than the Jimmy train and Jimmy should have been allowed to jump somewhere else as early as possible. I think K's prevent defense shit was a house of cards though and he was never head coach material either, though I think he would have been way less of a disaster than Jimmy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022

haie said:

Chip seemed like a very weird personality fit for a major college football coach and I think it's why he ultimately didn't succeed in the NFL or at UCLA.

In hindsight, it seems to clear riding the K train was better than the Jimmy train and Jimmy should have been allowed to jump somewhere else as early as possible. I think K's prevent defense shit was a house of cards though and he was never head coach material either, though I think he would have been way less of a disaster than Jimmy.
    It wasn't a major college football job in 2009.

And apparently in 2021.

But yeah, the entire staff without Pete was just decaying. Would have been nice to have an AD with the marrow to just clean house.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

Now we are the Virginia of the west coast.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Virginia is cool. And we actually win our conference championship games unlike them. And they're in a shittier conference.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I prefer Fake Stanford.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    haie said:

Virginia is cool. And we actually win our conference championship games unlike them. And they're in a shittier conference.
    Agree with the first part. The second part is factual. The third ... I'm torn and not so sure.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

why did either move take balls?