Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Let’s talk about gin

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,959
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Cause vodka is for fags and communists.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    History Channel is doing the history of spirits. Smirnoff vodka was the first challenger to American whiskey

James Bond and the lack of smell after a martini lunch
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

History Channel is doing the history of spirits. Smirnoff vodka was the first challenger to American whiskey

James Bond and the lack of smell after a martini lunch

Perhaps the greatest product plug in the history of film. Vodka wasn’t really a thing in America pre Bond.

I’ve tried vodka martinis on occasion and they are vapid concoction no doubt.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,577
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Gin is exactly the same as bourbon, it’s just not made with corn, rye and barley…
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Actually, that isn’t true…. It all comes down to the distillation process. Here’s how it works:

Mashing

All good gins come from a good mash or cooking of the grains which will be used for the gin’s base. The base spirit can be derived by distilling a variety of agricultural products including rye, barley, wheat or corn. With that said, rye is most popularly used for gin spirits as it provides a strong blank canvas for all the great flavours that will be infused into it later.

Popular flavor agents include orris root, chamomile, galangal, star anise, Angelica, cardamom, coriander, peppermint, lemon, juniper, honey, orange peel, almonds, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, chocolate and literally any spice, fruit, zest or flavoring agent you can think of except cigarette butts.

I’m actually very interested in taking up the craft of making small barrel bourbon and gin and look forward to the fun of the creative process… wife Informs me that I will need a bomb proof location away from the house for the adventure however so some negotiation may be required.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I do like gin, but I'm definitely not a connoisseur.

I'm happy with Bombay Sapphire. I also like the stuff from Amalga Distillery in Juneau, AK, cleverly named Juneauper Gin.

Big fan of Bombay Sapphire
  • Options
    Founders Club
    As I mentioned in the bourbon thread, Benhams gin from sonoma is my favorite… love the stuff… going to have to tour their place since they are right down the road from us….
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Haven't bought gin in a long time. I was going with Dry Fly for quite awhile. Less pine, more floral.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Speaking of gin, do I want a highland scotch or a Speyside scotch?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    I really like gin. Early experiences with punch your nose in the face with juniper tanqueray made me not like it. But man there is some good stuff.

Easily my fav summer cocktail is a tom Collins with good gin and it's not close.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,293
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Hendricks

Better if made in Europe
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm happy with Bombay Sapphire. I also like the stuff from Amalga Distillery in Juneau, AK, cleverly named Juneauper Gin.

Sapphire and I have a tricky relationship. It’s a good all arounder. But it’s a bit too floral and juniper forward I think for Martinis. Plymouth is the best martini gin and it’s not close. And Hendricks to @whlinder ’s point is the GOAT for Gin and tonic with all its cucumber notes.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sapphire and I have a tricky relationship. It’s a good all arounder. But it’s a bit too floral and juniper forward I think for Martinis. Plymouth is the best martini gin and it’s not close. And Hendricks to @whlinder ’s point is the GOAT for Gin and tonic with all its cucumber notes.
    I'm a Tom Collins guy like bitchfork
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    Portugal had the best gin drinks on the continent.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I really like gin. Early experiences with punch your nose in the face with juniper tanqueray made me not like it. But man there is some good stuff.

Easily my fav summer cocktail is a tom Collins with good gin and it's not close.

I need to start a Tom Collins phase.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

One of my critiques of the new craft distillery gins is that they get way too carried away with the botanicals. I had a nip of some local Ducktard gin at our farmers market and it tasted like I ate a ponderosa pine.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,802
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Love me some Bombay Sapphire. So much so I don't drink it anymore except on rare, special occasion.