Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Let's talk about Bourbon

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
So, I have been on a multiyear journey with whiskeys. My able guides have been @PurpleBaze and @YellowSnow . Been a super enjoyable trip to try many bottles of all different sorts of stuff. Straight whiskey, scotch, bourbon. Had plenty of all the varieties. After much introspection I think I most identify as a bourbon guy. Specifically wheated bourbon. But, I am still a novice in the whiskey game, so although my palate likes bourbon the best, and specifically wheated at the tippy top (just plain old Weller Special Reserve tastes damn near perfect to me), I am open to suggestions.

Besides the obvious shit like the really high end Wellers, Stagg and Pappy, what else does everyone swear by for bourbon? I heard Olf Fitzgerald if you want to lighten your wallet a good bit, and I've also had recommendations for Redemption Wheated (affordable but I can't find it anywhere), Four Roses, and Elmer T Lee (also super pricey). Anything else? Any bottles of great bourbon you don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy? I've had Makers, which I liked, but it wasn't excellent to me. Wellers 7 year still the best until I try some of the more expensive shit I guess.

Comments

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,391
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I had a sample of Blanton's bourbon last night. $100 retail, but since it's hard to find people often sell it for $250 on the second market.

Personally, I do not care for whiskey/bourbon at all so I couldn't tell you if it's actually as good as the hype. I mostly stick with beer and even that has become kinda boring.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I bounce around quite a bit. Regular rotation is Basil Hayden, Four Roses, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace. I ran across Tatoosh (Seattle) several years ago, and that kind of got the bourbon-ball rolling for me. I really like it, and have given it as gifts several times, with good response.

A trip to Colorado to see the daughter (and son-in-law, who is a bourbon geek) helped. We checked in to the hotel in Denver, and lo-and-behold, they had complimentary tasting of Colorado bourbon in the lobby.

Of those I tasted there, and on a few distillery tours we went on, I brought home:

Laws Four Grain
    Breckenridge Reserve
    Old Elk

If I didn't live in Sin Tax Washington, I'd probably have Laws in regular roto, but $90 is a little steep for me. I have also latched on to a couple Heritage options (NOT BSB, too sweet, although the 103 proof high altitude brown sugar is pretty good, in small doses).

Heritage Dual Barrel with vanilla finish
    Heritage Elk Rider Rye...my favorite rye

Don't know how easy the Colorado / WA stuff is to get to your neck of the woods, at a good price point (under $100).

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I remember my buying Blanton’s for $55 at SafeWay in Seattle phase. FML.

In the $50 price point don’t sleep on Wild Turkey Rare Bird at 116 proof and old forester Bottled in Bond at 100 proof.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

I bounce around quite a bit. Regular rotation is Basil Hayden, Four Roses, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace. I ran across Tatoosh (Seattle) several years ago, and that kind of got the bourbon-ball rolling for me. I really like it, and have given it as gifts several times, with good response.

A trip to Colorado to see the daughter (and son-in-law, who is a bourbon geek) helped. We checked in to the hotel in Denver, and lo-and-behold, they had complimentary tasting of Colorado bourbon in the lobby.

Of those I tasted there, and on a few distillery tours we went on, I brought home:

Laws Four Grain
    Breckenridge Reserve
    Old Elk

If I didn't live in Sin Tax Washington, I'd probably have Laws in regular roto, but $90 is a little steep for me. I have also latched on to a couple Heritage options (NOT BSB, too sweet, although the 103 proof high altitude brown sugar is pretty good, in small doses).

Heritage Dual Barrel with vanilla finish
    Heritage Elk Rider Rye...my favorite rye

Don't know how easy the Colorado / WA stuff is to get to your neck of the woods, at a good price point (under $100).

Good stuff. Appreciate it. I have a guy in WA that can get me stuff. I call him the Shah of Kenmore.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    Founders Club

In the $50 price point don’t sleep on Wild Turkey Rare Bird at 116 proof and old forester Bottled in Bond at 100 proof.

The only Old Forester I can find is 500 a bottle at resellers. FML
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

The only Old Forester I can find is 500 a bottle at resellers. FML
    Hmmm….

I just went to your Virginia is for Gay Lovers site. If you can find Elmer T Lee in the store buy all the bottles you can.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Maybe I'm cheap or a just a rookie, but I usually stick to Buffalo Trace.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Are we talking about that swill that brewers keep using to ruin perfectly good stouts and then charge three times as much for them?
    Swaye's Wigwam

Are we talking about that swill that brewers keep using to ruin perfectly good stouts and then charge three times as much for them?

*barrels
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,074
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Four Roses is the big bottle I keep on hand for Bourbon. Something a bit obscure but I love is Driftless Glen's bourbon.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I had a sample of Blanton's bourbon last night. $100 retail, but since it's hard to find people often sell it for $250 on the second market.

Personally, I do not care for whiskey/bourbon at all so I couldn't tell you if it's actually as good as the hype. I mostly stick with beer and even that has become kinda boring.

I’m with @BleachedAnusDawg regarding bourbon which is kinda sad because I now live in Kentucky and Woodford distillery is probably 30 minutes from my house and I’m surrounded by bourbon experts.

Eagle Rare is something I’ve had, thought it was fine and have heard Kentucky natives speak highly of.

Maybe I’ll bring you a bottle if I lose enough weight to fit in a car again and can make the drive to your trailer park (your home has reinforced flooring, right? I still have PTSD from the last time I went inside a trailer and fell through the floor.)
    Woodford is a nice tour.

Just realized I have an uncracked bottle of a special batch of their rye.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,391
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

It's tough to beat a B Bomb on a cold winter night.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    Bourbon is for girls. Rye or die bitches
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I’m in my bourbon phase. And I’ve tasted and drank many from all over and many price points. After all that, I’ve settled on Evan Williams as my everyday house bourbon. Way underrated and over looked. In a different bottle this would be 3 times the price.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022

I’m in my bourbon phase. And I’ve tasted and drank many from all over and many price points. After all that, I’ve settled on Evan Williams as my everyday house bourbon. Way underrated and over looked. In a different bottle this would be 3 times the price.

It's probably underrated, but still Wild Turkey 101 is easily the most underrated value bourbon there is.

Always trust in higher proof whiskey. Iron law. Even Williams at 86 proof just doesn't hold together in an old fashioned like 101.

Watered down whiskey regardless of price point sucks. Hence, why Basil Hayden (80 proof is for fags).
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's probably underrated, but still Wild Turkey 101 is easily the most underrated value bourbon there is.

Always trust in higher proof whiskey. Iron law.

Watered down whiskey regardless of price point sucks. Hence, why Basil Hayden (80 proof is for fags).
    I like wild turkey but at 101 I get way too fucked up for it to be a house bourbon. EW is a great everyday drinker.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022
    I remember my Blanton's phase.

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Bourbon is for girls. Rye or die bitches

Let me guess, you drank Zima in high school?