Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Saudi LIV Tour

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2022
    More power to these guys. It's backed by the Saudi Government, so basically, an endless amount of funding. This tour isn't going anywhere.

USFL and XFL comparisons are pointless. A league funded by businessmen focused on profit, will lose to a rich government funded league that doesn't care about profits. The PGA Tour is going to go into decline, and will eventually be for newcomers and mid to low tier talent, as the established stars will move to the LIV tour for a lighter schedule with larger payoffs.

The only drawback right now, is the lack of corporate sponsors, as they don't want to be tied closely to the Saudi Government. That will change however, once the talent floods the league. Corporations will eventually do it, as that's where the eyeballs will be.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,225
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

More power to these guys. It's backed by the Saudi Government, so basically, an endless amount of funding. This tour isn't going anywhere.

USFL and XFL comparisons are pointless. A league funded by businessmen focused on profit, will lose to a rich government funded league that doesn't care about profits. The PGA Tour is going to go into decline, and will eventually be for newcomers and mid to low tier talent, as the established stars will move to the LIV tour for a lighter schedule with larger payoffs.

The only drawback right now, is the lack of corporate sponsors, as they don't want to be tied closely to the Saudi Government. That will change however, once the talent floods the league. Corporations will eventually do it, as that's where the eyeballs will be.

Disagree

Golf is an individual sport. Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods

That's the legacy

Where do the next established stars come from?

The same place these guys came from. 40 something guys that fell short on REAL tours

This is college football trying to improve itself to oblivion

The Saudis are irrelevant. That's TDS residue. That's going to pass and the idea is still dumb

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,891
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club

Disagree

That's the legacy

The same place these guys came from. 40 something guys that fell short on REAL tours

The Saudis are irrelevant. That's TDS residue. That's going to pass and the idea is still dumb

The tour needs to address its relationship with the Korn Ferry to get the future big dick players on the Tour sooner. Last several years have had guys like Scheffler, Xander, Zalatoris, Mito locked up enough points for tour cards in like June but then they are stuck down there till October. All to protect the guys that finish right around 125 on the money list. Hovland and Morikawa got sponsors exceptions right out of college, and kicked as early. Hovland finished like 50th on the money list in like 3 months of play and wasn’t allowed to play in FedEx cup. Morikawa did similar but won the event in Reno that no one played in and was able to get in.

Need to fix that shit asap, or these young guys are going to jump at the cash. The top 25 on the Korn Ferry can win on the tour, the bottom 25 on the tour have no chance.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Bob_C said:

Alexis said:

As far as the golf goes, I kind of like some of the tomfoolery they are trying out, the team aspect of it sounds kind of fun. The shotgun start was a trainwreck for the broadcast though.

The tour has really done this to themselves by catering to the 75th - 125th players. They don’t add any money to anything, have no chance of winning and they get to call way too many of the shots, kind of like NATO in that sense. Triple the weekly purses at the top end and take it all out of the bottom half.

This Saudi league isn’t the answer, but there is going to be something that does take down the tour if they keep up their “equity” model.
    I thought the real money was all in the sponsorship deals, not the purses?
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Bob_C said:

Disagree

That's the legacy

The tour needs to address its relationship with the Korn Ferry to get the future big dick players on the Tour sooner. Last several years have had guys like Scheffler, Xander, Zalatoris, Mito locked up enough points for tour cards in like June but then they are stuck down there till October. All to protect the guys that finish right around 125 on the money list. Hovland and Morikawa got sponsors exceptions right out of college, and kicked as early. Hovland finished like 50th on the money list in like 3 months of play and wasn’t allowed to play in FedEx cup. Morikawa did similar but won the event in Reno that no one played in and was able to get in.

Need to fix that shit asap, or these young guys are going to jump at the cash. The top 25 on the Korn Ferry can win on the tour, the bottom 25 on the tour have no chance.
    Didn't LIV add the kid who was the US Amateur champ last year? Smart move for young kids want the quick buck and can get it from LIV without winning.

I think this is going to be much more of a WWF vs NWO scenario than an NFL vs XFL scenario.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Bob_C said:

Disagree

That's the legacy

Didn't LIV add the kid who was the US Amateur champ last year? Smart move for young kids want the quick buck and can get it from LIV without winning.

I think this is going to be much more of a WWF vs NWO scenario than an NFL vs XFL scenario.
    They got the 2019 champ who hasn’t done much since turning pro right after. If you look at the last 20 years of US am winners, most haven’t really done shit on the tour. Bryson and Hovland have, and Matt Fitzpatrick sort of. That’s really about it. Most guys worth anything these days don’t play in it as they are turning pro after the college season to go start earning money right away because they have to chase status fast because of the reasons in my earlier post.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Imagine caring about this
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,300
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited June 2022
    I can't wait for the first player to complain about anything like the spoiled players here do. These golfers are the saudi's newest little toy, they won't like it when they complain like they have done about the hand that fed them here (The PGA).

Anyone think the saudi's are going to put up with negative comments about their new league?

I live on an island that has 28 PGA tour players living on it. Most I have never heard of. One hosted a campaign event I went to. He is a nobody in the PGA but his house was incredible and he is clearly doing very well with his endorsements. These guys aren't starving. Chasing the sun and playing a non-contact sport seems to be good to them.

Greg Norman is worth a half of a billion dollars. Does anyone think we would have ever heard of him without the PGA tour? It is always interesting to me to watch greed destroy the vehicle that put you on its back and drove you there.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I can't wait for the first player to complain about anything like the spoiled players here do. These golfers are the saudi's newest little toy, they won't like it when they complain like they have done about the hand that fed them here (The PGA).

Anyone think the saudi's are going to put up with negative comments about their new league?

I live on an island that has 28 PGA tour players living on it. Most I have never heard of. One hosted a campaign event I went to. He is a nobody in the PGA but his house was incredible and he is clearly doing very well with his endorsements. These guys aren't starving. Chasing the sun and playing a non-contact sport seems to be good to them.

Greg Norman is worth a half of a billion dollars. Does anyone think we would have ever heard of him without the PGA tour? It is always interesting to me to watch greed destroy the vehicle that put you on its back and drove you there.

I enjoy the free martlet and competition. Seems like some of you don't.

The market will work it out.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fans are the market and opinions matter
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,803
    edited June 2022
    <

The Throbber mostly only cares about the Masters. And ANGC will do whatever the fuck it wants and tell both the PGA and LIV what to do.

Quite honestly, would rather watch more events like The Match with Sir Charles and the players mic'd up. That was fun TV.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022

Fans are the market and opinions matter

Like I said, the market will work it out. Maybe the PGA needs to be better.

Also, The Masters isn't a PGA event. As the Throbber points out. They will do what they want with who they want.

The feigned outrage over human rights is rich.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All 4 majors are independent. Anyone qualified now will play. Qualifying going forward will be interesting because world rankings are based on tour events and strength of field

Of course the PGA tour has to react. People forget that Palmer and Nicklaus broke off the tour from the PGA of America in the 60s

The players run it.
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,300
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Who doesn't enjoy the free market? Do you think that doesn't make what they have done a dick move? Free market has nothing to do with any of this, it has to do with shitting in the palm of the hand that fed you. About getting into bed with the slimy saudi's and ignoring their atrocities against man kind and women so that you can make a few bucks. I hope that jerk off Ian Poulter stays out of this country for good so maybe there is a sliver lining to this afterall.

I think they should make all the money they can but decisions are not made in a vacuum, there are perceptions and consequences. I think they look ridiculous. The new little saudi play things being led around by a hooded bearded one with a dollar bill on a fish hook.

What I will be interested in seeing is if any networks here schedule to televise. The uber rich saudi's don't care if they get sponsorship dollars but after awhile people who are so motivated will tire of watching this shit on pay per view YouTube. You think the lineup here is full of nobody's? Wait until a regular tournament for this LIV league. There will be 10 names and then 60 strangers.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Who doesn't enjoy the free market? Do you think that doesn't make what they have done a dick move? Free market has nothing to do with any of this, it has to do with shitting in the palm of the hand that fed you. About getting into bed with the slimy saudi's and ignoring their atrocities against man kind and women so that you can make a few bucks. I hope that jerk off Ian Poulter stays out of this country for good so maybe there is a sliver lining to this afterall.

I think they should make all the money they can but decisions are not made in a vacuum, there are perceptions and consequences. I think they look ridiculous. The new little saudi play things being led around by a hooded bearded one with a dollar bill on a fish hook.

What I will be interested in seeing is if any networks here schedule to televise. The uber rich saudi's don't care if they get sponsorship dollars but after awhile people who are so motivated will tire of watching this shit on pay per view YouTube. You think the lineup here is full of nobody's? Wait until a regular tournament for this LIV league. There will be 10 names and then 60 strangers.
    Saudis is simply a talking point from the tour that dumb people have fallen for. The tour takes money from all sorts of terrible people. The allowed that Indonesian that was a leader in actual genocide to play in a pro am for some big bucks a couple years ago (I think he played twice). They signed a fat multi million dollar deal with China in 2018 as well. The club manufacturers that pay the tour lots of money want to get that market open.

We all have our price, and so does the tour.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022

Setting up competition is a dick move? Weird take.

It will succeed or fail if it's merits. You seem pretty fragile about it. Especially your moral outrage about the Saudis. I'm guessing you're still buying gas and own many things made in China.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Trump hacked up a journalist for the Saudis who then paid Jared Kushner 2 billion dollars

The narrative will shift now that Joey has to beg the Saudis for oil