Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

TBS Alert: Benning Potoae Edition

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

I think a guy like Ducre or Kevin Smith was screwed more than Potoa'e. If Ducre would have redshirted, he would have had a chance to put another year of starting on tape for NFL scouts. Smith could have had another year of solid production. They could have greatly increased their NFL chances. Instead, their futures were hurt for some token appearances in 2010. Potoa'e did absolutely nothing his entire career. You can't put all of that blame on the coaches.

Kevin Smith really pisses me off because we only got one year out of him. He was wasted in 2010, 2011 just couldn't crack a talented lineup, was hurt all of 2012 yet Sark didn't medical redshirt him.

Sark had not one but two chances to make sure Smith had a 2014 season. Then again I think Sark knew he was gone after this year either way.

Here's something else for those who think Potoa'e was fucked by Sark. Ta'Amu, Everette Thompson, Shelton, and Kikaha all didn't redshirt. All of them are/were way better than Potoa'e. Potoa'e was as fucked by not redshirting as Talia Crichton.

Huh? Thompson was a fucking scrub. He was on the same level as Crichton. He was a three year starter who would go weeks upon weeks without ever hearing his name called. Please don't mention Everette Thompson as someone who was good ever again.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Here's something else for those who think Potoa'e was fucked by Sark. Ta'Amu, Everette Thompson, Shelton, and Kikaha all didn't redshirt. All of them are/were way better than Potoa'e. Potoa'e was as fucked by not redshirting as Talia Crichton.

Huh? Thompson was a fucking scrub. He was on the same level as Crichton. He was a three year starter who would go weeks upon weeks without ever hearing his name called. Please don't mention Everette Thompson as someone who was good ever again.
    I didn't say he was good. He was way better than Potao'e though. He's not on the same level as Crichton either. Thompson had a terrible senior season, but he had some moments as a sophomore and junior. When the DL played pretty well at the end of 2010, Thompson looked decent and he was coming off injuries. Unfortunately, he and Ta'Amu regressed in 2011. He also had some bad injuries. He's played in a few NFL camps and was on the Cardinals roster for a bit.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,706 Standard Supporter
    Didn't Thompson tear his achilles in spring ball or early fall ball at one point? He should've redshirted after that but the staff didn't have him do that and IMHO, that hurt his college performance at least for 1 season.
  • pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941

I didn't say he was good. He was way better than Potao'e though. He's not on the same level as Crichton either. Thompson had a terrible senior season, but he had some moments as a sophomore and junior. When the DL played pretty well at the end of 2010, Thompson looked decent and he was coming off injuries. Unfortunately, he and Ta'Amu regressed in 2011. He also had some bad injuries. He's played in a few NFL camps and was on the Cardinals roster for a bit.
    Thompson sucks dude. He was fucking worthless. Don't even try and defend him.

Ta'amu also regressed as well and quite frankly wasn't even that good. He was just big and had a nice 4 game stretch in 2010 to end the year.

The facts are that coaching staff failed to develop DL in that era. Ta'amu either regressed or plateaued, Thompson and Potae always sucked ass along with Crichton. The only DL who did well with that coaching staff was DTN and he played 3 years with Ty so not really going to count him.

Shelton has been good but that was a different defensive coaching staff than the ones we are bitching about.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Ta'amu also regressed as well and quite frankly wasn't even that good. He was just big and had a nice 4 game stretch in 2010 to end the year.

The facts are that coaching staff failed to develop DL in that era. Ta'amu either regressed or plateaued, Thompson and Potae always sucked ass along with Crichton. The only DL who did well with that coaching staff was DTN and he played 3 years with Ty so not really going to count him.

Shelton has been good but that was a different defensive coaching staff than the ones we are bitching about.
    If you can't see the difference from a contributor to Sione Potoa'e, I can't help you. Nobody said Thompson is good. You are dealing in extremes again. Once again, I'm not saying Everette Thompson was good. He was a below average DL. Potoa'e had 21 tackles, 2 tfl, and 1.5 sacks in his whole career. Thompson had 101 tackles, 14.5 for loss, and 6.5 sacks. He could also play (not always well) DT and DE. There's a pretty big gap to what they accomplished at UW, which in Potoa'e case is absolutely nothing. I also agree with you about Ta'Amu, and I noted his regression in an earlier post.

I don't know how anyone can say Potoa'e was screwed by Sark. He didn't do shit for four years, with two different defensive coaching staffs. He was so bad, Andrew Hudson played DE in the 3-4 at 240 pounds. Andrew Hudson moves from TE to start next to Shelton after 2 days. Potoa'e didn't make a tackle his senior year. All a redshirt year would have done was keep him around for another year of doing nothing. He's a 270 pound DT who isn't even quick.

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    I don't disagree with Tequilla about the depth issues but you build depth by redshirting guys. Sark wanted a quick fix. He didnt want to build, he wanted immediate gratification so he could jump to another payday. Thats why he didnt redshirt guys and tried to build the team through WRs and QBs.

I know its in hindsight but you could have had this year:

Sean Parker, Kevin Smith, Greg Ducre, Erik Kohler, Princeton Fuimaono, Taz Stevenson.

Granted overall depth is where it needs to be now (ex OL & DB) but having Parker & Ducre would take the pressure off guys like Budda, Beaver and Kelly. If Kohler is RS he probably develops into an all-conference lineman. He actually played best as a true freshman, then got worse after injuries.

This is another reason why I think Petersen really gets it going in 16 & 17. You'll have full classes in 15 and 16 and I bet he redshirts the majority of the guys. Depth will dip next year but should be quite strong after.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

Just heard this gem from Benning Potoae (2016 DE, Lakes HS)

When asked about Washington and his brother playing there with Sark and staff, and if those coaches being gone effected his view of Washington at all:

Loose quotes....

"The new coaches being there made me want to go to UW more, and with Sark leaving and him offering it didn't really effect me because it didn't really attract me. But with Coach Petersen getting to know him creating a relationship with him it has an effect on me with how I feel about UW"

What those coaches did to Sione was criminal, imo.

Fuck.

BP is '15 for starters, and Sione "Patoa'e" did it to himself. He wasn't very good u ignant pucker fucker
    Whose fault was it that he wasn't very good? It's the coaching staff! He was a highly rated recruit who once again Sark burned his RS even though he hardly played.

Now perhaps he was soft but was so was ASJ. I put this on the coaching staff for not developing him.

They failed to develop the interior players on both sides of the ball which was why UW was never going to win with Sark.
    So a coach can make a shitty football player an all american? Cockus, do you have one fucking idea about the sport of football? No dipstick, it doesn't involve a round ball that gets kicked around for 5 hours without any points.

It's obvious you weren't watching what was going on on the field when your dad took you to "every game in the 80's". You and jsmdog from dawgman ought to become butt-buddies. You just don't belong... Ignant son of a cunt!

If you can't see the difference from a contributor to Sione Potoa'e, I can't help you. Nobody said Thompson is good. You are dealing in extremes again. Once again, I'm not saying Everette Thompson was good. He was a below average DL. Potoa'e had 21 tackles, 2 tfl, and 1.5 sacks in his whole career. Thompson had 101 tackles, 14.5 for loss, and 6.5 sacks. He could also play (not always well) DT and DE. There's a pretty big gap to what they accomplished at UW, which in Potoa'e case is absolutely nothing. I also agree with you about Ta'Amu, and I noted his regression in an earlier post.

I don't know how anyone can say Potoa'e was screwed by Sark. He didn't do shit for four years, with two different defensive coaching staffs. He was so bad, Andrew Hudson played DE in the 3-4 at 240 pounds. Andrew Hudson moves from TE to start next to Shelton after 2 days. Potoa'e didn't make a tackle his senior year. All a redshirt year would have done was keep him around for another year of doing nothing. He's a 270 pound DT who isn't even quick.

Those are really shitty stats considering he was a three year starter(maybe he was a four year starter?).

The Defensive coaches did a poor job of developing players. Also I said Potoe sucks but bringing up Thompson who had some hype around him when he came here is yet another example of piss poor player development. That has plagued our program for over a decade now.

Just heard this gem from Benning Potoae (2016 DE, Lakes HS)

When asked about Washington and his brother playing there with Sark and staff, and if those coaches being gone effected his view of Washington at all:

Loose quotes....

"The new coaches being there made me want to go to UW more, and with Sark leaving and him offering it didn't really effect me because it didn't really attract me. But with Coach Petersen getting to know him creating a relationship with him it has an effect on me with how I feel about UW"

What those coaches did to Sione was criminal, imo.

Fuck.

BP is '15 for starters, and Sione "Patoa'e" did it to himself. He wasn't very good u ignant pucker fucker
    Whose fault was it that he wasn't very good? It's the coaching staff! He was a highly rated recruit who once again Sark burned his RS even though he hardly played.

Now perhaps he was soft but was so was ASJ. I put this on the coaching staff for not developing him.

They failed to develop the interior players on both sides of the ball which was why UW was never going to win with Sark.
    So a coach can make a shitty football player an all american? Cockus, do you have one fucking idea about the sport of football? No dipstick, it doesn't involve a round ball that gets kicked around for 5 hours without any points.

It's obvious you weren't watching what was going on on the field when your dad took you to "every game in the 80's". You and jsmdog from dawgman ought to become butt-buddies. You just don't belong... Ignant son of a cunt!
    Did I say Potoe would be an all-american? I didn't even suggest he'd be good but you and Road Dawg have some serious reading comprehension problems.

I stated that Sark deserves the blame ultimately. He brought the kid in and he did jack shit. That falls on Sark for not noticing the red flags on him in HS or that falls on Sark from poorly developing him. Either way it will be interesting and Sark is at fault.

In general you should never play a true freshman as a DL or OL. Would Potoe had turned out differently? Who knows? Coaching does make a world of difference though.

Here's something that always struck me about Sark that even Ty had with Foster and Butler. Sark never found that diamond in the rough. None of his former 2 stars emerged into anything. He never once coached something past their potential.

Here are the 4 stars and 5 stars that Sark signed while at UW:

2010:

Chris Young: Turned out to be a solid player......for ASU as he didn't qualify.
    Nick Montana: Bust
    Colin Porter: Solid two year starter but injuries derailed his career
    Erik Kohler: Bust and injuries derailed his career.
    Deontae Cooper: To date injuries has derailed his career hopefully he turns it around
    Kevin Smith: Gave us one good year. First three years caught ZERO touchdown passes
    Micah Hatchie: Average Pac-12 starter and I'm being kind
    Sione Potoe: Bust
    Sean Parker: Stud. 3 year starter who was a stud. He was on same par as Hakeem Akbar IMO
    Josh Shirley: Showed promise freshman year but to date I'd say he's a slight bust

So in 2010 recap: 1 stud, 2 jury is out(Cooper and Shirley), one derailed injuries(Porter), one who didn't qualify, one who gave us only one good year(Smith), one who is average(Hatchie) and 3 busts

2011:

Taniela Tupou: Who? Honestly don't remember him at all
    ASJ: Stud. Say what you want but he was a stud. Even if like Locker he left you wanting so much more
    Kasen: Solid WR. If he was a 4 star he'd look at him differently. Instead as a #2 WR he's a slight disappointment
    James Sample: Bust
    Bishop Sankey: Stud

So this class was pretty cut and dry. Had three studs and two busts

2012:

Jeff Lindquist: Will compete for a starting gig so jury out on him
    Cyler Miles: I expect him to be the starting QB
    Shaq Thompson: Read statement on Kasen/ASJ. Petersen will make sure he'll realize his potential
    Jaydon Mickens: Looks to be on the track to having a good career

Probably will end up with a 3 out of 4 here.

Now missing on 4's as consistently as Sark did here is fine if you are consistently building up your 3's and 2's but he wasn't. Just like you forgive Carroll for drafting Carpenter and Moffit in the 1st and 3rd rounds because he scored Wright in the 4th, Sherman in the 5th, Maxwell in the 6th and Malcom Smith in the 7th in the same draft.
    Dardanus said:

I don't disagree with Tequilla about the depth issues but you build depth by redshirting guys. Sark wanted a quick fix. He didnt want to build, he wanted immediate gratification so he could jump to another payday. Thats why he didnt redshirt guys and tried to build the team through WRs and QBs.

I know its in hindsight but you could have had this year:

Sean Parker, Kevin Smith, Greg Ducre, Erik Kohler, Princeton Fuimaono, Taz Stevenson.

Granted overall depth is where it needs to be now (ex OL & DB) but having Parker & Ducre would take the pressure off guys like Budda, Beaver and Kelly. If Kohler is RS he probably develops into an all-conference lineman. He actually played best as a true freshman, then got worse after injuries.

This is another reason why I think Petersen really gets it going in 16 & 17. You'll have full classes in 15 and 16 and I bet he redshirts the majority of the guys. Depth will dip next year but should be quite strong after.

Pretty strong assumption there. Just because he got worse due to injuries doesn't mean he was destined to improve into an all-conference player.
    Especially since he had no injuries in 2011 and flat out sucked. He was clearly the worst lineman in 2011. He was exposed as a tackle.

That is why heading into 2012 he was moved to guard then the injuries happened.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,725 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2014

Hatchie actually had a pretty solid year last year. He struggled mightily in his first two years but settled in quite well and is our best pass-blocker. If you have a day free or an hour or so, here's the Apple Cup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feh1VBb5xTs

and BYU game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVwxTIMy-iA

Then again, you could say running a HUNH offense should make the OL look better, but still, give credit where credit is due. And I guess it helps if he's going up against Kikaha in practice every day now that he's healthy.

Hatchie actually had a pretty solid year last year. He struggled mightily in his first two years but settled in quite well and is our best pass-blocker. If you have a day free or an hour or so, here's the Apple Cup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feh1VBb5xTs

and BYU game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVwxTIMy-iA

Then again, you could say running a HUNH offense should make the OL look better, but still, give credit where credit is due. And I guess it helps if he's going up against Kikaha in practice every day now that he's healthy.
    He's made one honorable mention so far in three years. Like I said average Pac-12 starter.

BTW I do love that last year UW produced ZERO first team and second team OL. Great OL development in year five as always there Sark and Cozzetto.

Yet idiots like Kim bash on Petersen for replacing Cozzetto yet say nothing about the fact Sark didn't take him with him or that nobody has offered that moron a job yet.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,815 Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

I must beg to differ re Everette Thompson.

Thompson was a legit NFL talent at DE who...stop me if you've heard this one before...played too early, got hurt, and was never the same after. Late in his career, he was misused at DT, due mostly to a personnel shortage there. He was pretty pedestrian on the interior. But on the edge, he was a stud. Especially before the Achilles injury.

Colin Porter syndrome
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,169 Founders Club

I think a guy like Ducre or Kevin Smith was screwed more than Potoa'e. If Ducre would have redshirted, he would have had a chance to put another year of starting on tape for NFL scouts. Smith could have had another year of solid production. They could have greatly increased their NFL chances. Instead, their futures were hurt for some token appearances in 2010. Potoa'e did absolutely nothing his entire career. You can't put all of that blame on the coaches.

Kevin Smith really pisses me off because we only got one year out of him. He was wasted in 2010, 2011 just couldn't crack a talented lineup, was hurt all of 2012 yet Sark didn't medical redshirt him.

Sark had not one but two chances to make sure Smith had a 2014 season. Then again I think Sark knew he was gone after this year either way.
    It would've just been a redshirt year ya ignant cunt!

Sorry, this is the first opportunity I've had to call someone an ignant cunt. Nothing personal.

Sorry, this is the first opportunity I've had to call someone an ignant cunt. Nothing personal.
    He played first two games then got injured so had to be medical.

HTH.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,169 Founders Club

He played first two games then got injured so had to be medical.

HTH.
    I'm referring to his original injury before the Alamo Bowl. He should've redshirted that year but your poont is also acceptable.