Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Question for my wood choppers

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dannarc said:

I love cutting, splitting, stacking, and burning firewood. The Mrs looked at me like I was a caveman when we first met, now she loves wood heat and would never go back. Fiskars makes a badass maul I think it's the x27 or some shit like that. Sledge and wedge for big stuff, hydro are great if you have 4+ cords to do quickly. As far as firewood drill bits go, fuck off

It’s very therapeutic. My Dad made me the official fire builder / tender of our family when I was in HS. Utah piñon pine is a fantastic firewood btw. Burns like oak or any number of hardwoods.
    A pine that burns like an oak.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dannarc said:

I love cutting, splitting, stacking, and burning firewood. The Mrs looked at me like I was a caveman when we first met, now she loves wood heat and would never go back. Fiskars makes a badass maul I think it's the x27 or some shit like that. Sledge and wedge for big stuff, hydro are great if you have 4+ cords to do quickly. As far as firewood drill bits go, fuck off

It’s very therapeutic. My Dad made me the official fire builder / tender of our family when I was in HS. Utah piñon pine is a fantastic firewood btw. Burns like oak or any number of hardwoods.
    A pine that burns like an oak.
    Piñon pine among firewood experts is known as the hardwood of softwoods.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have soft supple thighs and a gas fireplace now.

But back in the olden days, I favored a wood grenade and sledge hammer.

I bought myself a wood grenade and this beautiful Fiskars hammer thing to smash stuff. The hammer weighs about 5 lbs and is the perfect size for splitting wood in combination with the grenade.

Looks tuff but how do you swing that thing John Henry style ? Looks too short
    I swing it like I’m the god of fucking thunder
    Lotta "mass" behind that swing, big fella!
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    Founders Club

I have soft supple thighs and a gas fireplace now.

But back in the olden days, I favored a wood grenade and sledge hammer.

I bought myself a wood grenade and this beautiful Fiskars hammer thing to smash stuff. The hammer weighs about 5 lbs and is the perfect size for splitting wood in combination with the grenade.

Looks tuff but how do you swing that thing John Henry style ? Looks too short
    I swing it like I’m the god of fucking thunder
    Lotta "mass" behind that swing, big fella!
    You get me. I’m also only splitting 1-2 logs at a time and doing so inside my garage so a smaller handle works well.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Man, I actually miss chopping wood with a maul. I could pace myself and chop all day if it was wood that split cleanly and didnt require standing back up too much. All the bending and standing is more tiring than swinging a maul.

It was the moving and stacking and mess that I burnt out on. My old house required 5-6 cord to get through a winter. My Dad and brother ran a loader logging operation and would trailer loads of nice logs to me when a few would build up around the landing, or even pile a load into a dump truck and send it my way. I'd get amazing mixes especially when they were in Oregon... giant Chinkapin, Tamarac, and mixed fir, and they'd selectively send the nice 1.5-2' diameter stuff that split easily without using a wedge.

Kinda miss it at times, kinda don't miss it at all most of the time.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

8 lbs of wood murderer. Wouldn't use anything else.

Do keep a 4lb Estwing hand maul for kindling, too.

Murderous Combo.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,834
    You all realize you can buy wood already split from the poors, right?

• Options

Firewood Slut!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You call yourself a mountain man ?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,834

A wealthy mountain man.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

A wealthy mountain man.

My ex father in law, was the wealthiest mountain man I ever knew. He’s probably helping buy players for Montana as we speak. That guy used to love splitting wood.
  • Options
    Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,310
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I’m with Throbber. Sub that shit out.

• Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,265
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2022

All solid frame, the head will not eventually fall off or break when you shank a piece of wood

12lbs
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

A wealthy mountain man.

I'll add too that splitting wood is some of the greatest exercise of all time. MILFs don't want a Charmin soft, mountain man.

• Options
    edited June 2022

A wealthy mountain man.

My ex father in law, was the wealthiest mountain man I ever knew. He’s probably helping buy players for Montana as we speak. That guy used to love splitting wood.
    What's his running tab at The Depot?

Walk-Ons eat at the Double Front, I hear.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

A wealthy mountain man.

What's his running tab at The Depot?

Walk-Ons eat at the Double Front, I hear.
    Stockman's was his scene if I recall. I've watched a few games from a luxury suite at Grizzly stadium.
  • Options
    Number1AtNumber2Number1AtNumber2 Member Posts: 31
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dannarc said:

I agree that the Fiskars X27 is the best out there. It is light enough that you can swing it all day but heavy enough to split a big log. I do have to resort to a wedge and a sledge sometimes. I like to do it myself at my pace. It is good exercise but more importantly it makes your fire better. No way am I going to let rip a giant fire on a cold June night like I did last weekend if I am paying for it with my hard earned payday lending money.

I burn all of these two woodsheds every year.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,615
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dannarc said:

I agree that the Fiskars X27 is the best out there. It is light enough that you can swing it all day but heavy enough to split a big log. I do have to resort to a wedge and a sledge sometimes. I like to do it myself at my pace. It is good exercise but more importantly it makes your fire better. No way am I going to let rip a giant fire on a cold June night like I did last weekend if I am paying for it with my hard earned payday lending money.

I burn all of these two woodsheds every year.

That's a lot of weight for a Chevy.