Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Question for my wood choppers

CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Has anyone used one of these wood cutting drill bits? Thoughts?

I bought a cheap one and it sucked even with my impact drill but I’m not sure if that was a case of you get what you pay for.

Firewood Drill Bit Wood Splitter, 5 Pcs Kindling Splitter Splitting Wood Removable Logs Splitters Electric Drills Bits Heavy Duty Screw Cone Driver Wood Splitter Drill Bit Set 32mm (5 PCS Log Kindling Splitter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KZKK6X8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QZFRK8TQ8S4YED94K5YF

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sorry. The Throbber's expertise is chipping, not splitting.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

While you fags were busy worrying about chopping wood to keep your 1950's cinder-block ramblers warm for your lemon parties, Pup was busy splitting tail in the back of his '72 VW van with locks a flowin' and all the heat anyone could need courtesy of fresh meat coming through for a poundin' each night.

I laffed.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club
    That’s a touch more complicated than what I need.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Law of coincidences and all, I just had that bit pop up as suggested five minutes ago.

As forestry and timber products superiority guy; it’s a piece of shit.

The power rankings:
    1. Table saw. I’m not kidding. I can have half of a national forest done in a day with a helper to hand them to me. Tip: use an old ripper blade that’s worthless for anything else. Learn to sharpen a blade. Trickier with bigger pieces, but a 16in or bigger that’s got fewer teeth than an Old Town Portland meth whore is perfect. If you took down General Sherman you can still use it if you cut him into smaller chunks with another saw.
    2. Maul/wedge/sledgehammer/axe. Simple, relatively quick, is badass looking, satisfying, allows you to pretend those are the heads of your enemies, good cardio and upper body workout.
    3. Chainsaw. Kind of annoying, gotta sharpen shit more often and deal with chains falling off, limb loss. But you probably already have one out to cut them to size and if you’re good at it it’s quick going. A cheap corded electric chainsaw does the trick.
    4. Hydraulic log splitter. Lol these things suck. If for some sick reason you want to rent one then get the most powerful one, because the little ones only work on balsa wood if you position it properly.
    5. Are you in a location that allows... involuntary labor?
    6. Tearing it up into kindling with one of those claw sets for shredding meat. Can also be used to make pulled pork nachos with a sawdust flavor.
    7. This attachment for a drill that Amazon recommended for $16.
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,059
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Maul. Wedge. Beer.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Law of coincidences and all, I just had that bit pop up as suggested five minutes ago.

The power rankings:
    1. Table saw. I’m not kidding. I can have half of a national forest done in a day with a helper to hand them to me. Tip: use an old ripper blade that’s worthless for anything else. Learn to sharpen a blade. Trickier with bigger pieces, but a 16in or bigger that’s got fewer teeth than an Old Town Portland meth whore is perfect. If you took down General Sherman you can still use it if you cut him into smaller chunks with another saw.
    2. Maul/wedge/sledgehammer/axe. Simple, relatively quick, is badass looking, satisfying, allows you to pretend those are the heads of your enemies, good cardio and upper body workout.
    3. Chainsaw. Kind of annoying, gotta sharpen shit more often and deal with chains falling off, limb loss. But you probably already have one out to cut them to size and if you’re good at it it’s quick going. A cheap corded electric chainsaw does the trick.
    4. Hydraulic log splitter. Lol these things suck. If for some sick reason you want to rent one then get the most powerful one, because the little ones only work on balsa wood if you position it properly.
    6. Tearing it up into kindling with one of those claw sets for shredding meat. Can also be used to make pulled pork nachos with a sawdust flavor.

@RatherBeBrewing can you get me a deal on some Ruskie birch plywood?
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club

The power rankings:

TYFYS. You had my attention at pulled pork nachos.
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,907
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have soft supple thighs and a gas fireplace now.

But back in the olden days, I favored a wood grenade and sledge hammer.

One of my next purchases.. Haul it with you and split it on Forest service land. Keep the bark in the woods and out of the driveway. I actually took a leisurely drive up Icicle Rivee Saturday and picked up a little wood.
    Swaye's Wigwam

The power rankings:

@RatherBeBrewing can you get me a deal on some Ruskie birch plywood?
    No. I don’t deal with plywood. I can get you 1,200 cartons of Marb Reds.

Is it for cabinets? Because I have a top notch cabinet guy out in Central/Eastern Oregon.

I do have some beautiful hardwoods from Western and Central Africa. If you know any of those Bend high rollers I can arrange for a container of the finest teak Benin has to offer. My family has been assisting the societies in Ghana, Benin, and the CAR for over three decades. By helping them remove the bad luck trees that hurt the cassava crops, and teaching them how to mill them into dimensional lumber in order to drive the evil spirits out. Evil spirits absolutely hate anything 2x4 and up.

The locals have gifted us intricate carved masks for helping lift this curse. The children of the village are being born with fairer skin, and the sweetened condensed milk we’ve brought has reduced childhood hunger allowing them to join the workforce earlier. Their small hands are great at sharpening saw teeth. The empty diesel canisters can be reused to carry drinking water from the well we dug to hose mud off the tires provide a reliable source of potable water.

Anyway, plywood is nasty. I have 40 boxes of cigarettes and I think plywood is too carcinogenic if that says anything. I’d recommend options for real wood cabinets when possible. Not just because of that, but they look nicer, don’t break as easily, are repairable and renewable, etc. Birch is an okay wood. It’s sap is delicious for those who haven’t had it. The traditional Russian peasant outfit has shoes made out birch, lapti.

So @RatherBeBrewing I actaully have a custom wood working guy down here in White Wakanda. He made me a beautiful, custom record storage credenza which has my hi fi gear sitting on top. Beautiful 300 year old white oak wood on top and sides and front trim. Back panel Ruskie, Baltic Birch. Nice stuff.
    Swaye's Wigwam

One of my next purchases.. Haul it with you and split it on Forest service land. Keep the bark in the woods and out of the driveway. I actually took a leisurely drive up Icicle Rivee Saturday and picked up a little wood.
    When I worked at a ski area after college for a bit they used to have employee firewood day after new runs were cut. Used to rent a trailer and haul out many cords of rounds for splitting. Real old timey exercise right there.
    Founders Club

I bought myself a wood grenade and this beautiful Fiskars hammer thing to smash stuff. The hammer weighs about 5 lbs and is the perfect size for splitting wood in combination with the grenade.

• dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,244
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I love cutting, splitting, stacking, and burning firewood. The Mrs looked at me like I was a caveman when we first met, now she loves wood heat and would never go back. Fiskars makes a badass maul I think it's the x27 or some shit like that. Sledge and wedge for big stuff, hydro are great if you have 4+ cords to do quickly. As far as firewood drill bits go, fuck off
    Swaye's Wigwam

I bought myself a wood grenade and this beautiful Fiskars hammer thing to smash stuff. The hammer weighs about 5 lbs and is the perfect size for splitting wood in combination with the grenade.

Looks tuff but how do you swing that thing John Henry style ? Looks too short
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dannarc said:

I love cutting, splitting, stacking, and burning firewood. The Mrs looked at me like I was a caveman when we first met, now she loves wood heat and would never go back. Fiskars makes a badass maul I think it's the x27 or some shit like that. Sledge and wedge for big stuff, hydro are great if you have 4+ cords to do quickly. As far as firewood drill bits go, fuck off

It’s very therapeutic. My Dad made me the official fire builder / tender of our family when I was in HS. Utah piñon pine is a fantastic firewood btw. Burns like oak or any number of hardwoods.