Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Presented without comment: ASJ's individual workout with the Jets.

2»

Comments

• Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Houhusky said:

I am calling bullshit on the 4.56 time, it was probably hand timed but some fucktard assistant intern trainer.

He ran a 4.75 40 at the draft combine

his only other "event" was bench press; 225lbs 20 times placing him 10th among the 15 TEs at the combine

a guy who is 6'6" weighs in at 271 and struggles to bench press in the top half of his TE class isnt going to suddenly run in the top10 fastest 40 times for TEs ever and third or fourth best vertical in 5 years

They are claiming he has Jimmy Graham type numbers but at 10+ lbs heavier after being fairly pedestrian at the combine

Is this a joke? He didn't get timed at the combine.

In other news, preparing for a million dollar paycheck >> hanging with Ivan Sark
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    ASJ was lethargic and content under the supervision of Sark which will likely lead to a rude awakening at the next level. He doesn't know what it takes to be an elite TE because he didn't have the motivation from within and from his coaches at UW. He always looked pudgy & soft and quite frankly played that way too. He was never properly conditioned because he tended to lean on his natural ability instead of pushing himself to the next level, hence being 20 lbs overweight. You don't excel in the NFL with the habits he developed at UW.

In my eyes he never lived up to the hype that surrounded him when he committed to Washington.
    There is a reason why two years ago Rob Rang said he would be a top-10 pick and now he's being projected into the 2nd and 3rd rounds, even after winning the Mackey Award this year. Reality has caught up to Austin. The DUI didn't help his stock either although I think he's done a good job moving on from that chapter of his life. Frankly, he never reached his true potential under the favoritism and coddling of Sark's tutelage.

His game speed feels more like 4.8 than 4.56. With that being said he does have an incredible catch radius that you can't teach and if he falls into the right situation I could see him making an impact. Talent has never been the problem; its a lack of motivation. He's still a Dawg and I'm going to be rooting for him in the NFL just like I do all Huskies who get the opportunity to play professional football. Who knows he might get lucky and have a real coach to guide him throughout his career.

However, if he had made the smart choice and converted to LT his freshman year, given his skill set we would likely be talking about him in the same breath as Robinson & Matthews, both consensus top10 picks in the upcoming draft. Instead, he stuck with TE and his draft stock has tilted downward along with his future salary earning potential. That ship has sailed.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,182
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

The 4.56 is actually a 40 oz. time.

Is that while driving or before?
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

The 4.56 is actually a 40 oz. time.

Is that while driving or before?
    During. Hand timed.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    pat_hm said:

ASJ was lethargic and content under the supervision of Sark which will likely lead to a rude awakening at the next level. He doesn't know what it takes to be an elite TE because he didn't have the motivation from within and from his coaches at UW. He always looked pudgy & soft and quite frankly played that way too. He was never properly conditioned because he tended to lean on his natural ability instead of pushing himself to the next level, hence being 20 lbs overweight. You don't excel in the NFL with the habits he developed at UW.

In my eyes he never lived up to the hype that surrounded him when he committed to Washington.
    There is a reason why two years ago Rob Rang said he would be a top-10 pick and now he's being projected into the 2nd and 3rd rounds, even after winning the Mackey Award this year. Reality has caught up to Austin. The DUI didn't help his stock either although I think he's done a good job moving on from that chapter of his life. Frankly, he never reached his true potential under the favoritism and coddling of Sark's tutelage.

His game speed feels more like 4.8 than 4.56. With that being said he does have an incredible catch radius that you can't teach and if he falls into the right situation I could see him making an impact. Talent has never been the problem; its a lack of motivation. He's still a Dawg and I'm going to be rooting for him in the NFL just like I do all Huskies who get the opportunity to play professional football. Who knows he might get lucky and have a real coach to guide him throughout his career.

However, if he had made the smart choice and converted to LT his freshman year, given his skill set we would likely be talking about him in the same breath as Robinson & Matthews, both consensus top10 picks in the upcoming draft. Instead, he stuck with TE and his draft stock has tilted downward along with his future salary earning potential. That ship has sailed.

i agree however i never saw enough grit or toughness in him on the field that is required in the NFL so I'm skeptical that he can turn the odd ballerina catch into a fulltime TE gig.
  • Options
    Meek said:

pat_hm said:

i agree however i never saw enough grit or toughness in him on the field that is required in the NFL so I'm skeptical that he can turn the odd ballerina catch into a fulltime TE gig.
    ASJ was the anthesis of TUFF.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

pat_hm said:

Good poast but I disagree with the LT paragraph. He is already a lazy blocker lacking strength for his size at TE, I don't think he would have had the mentality required to be a lineman.
    So very this.

This is me everytime people rip him as this soft TE (which he is) and then say the solution is he should have played the most physical position on the field:

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't blame ASJ for not wanting to play tackle. Yes, they make more money in the NFL, but speaking for myself, playing OL would suck. Catching the ball and making plays is better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    pat_hm said:

If we had a good OL coach you'd be right. Plus good LT's make way more than TE's. However, what NFL OL has Sark brought in and developed? The answer after 5 years is ZERO!

That is the most damning thing of the Sark era was he has no OL in five years that he recruited that will be drafted to play in the NFL. Yet Kim defended Sark and the OL coach who was there the entire time yet they weren't doing their fucking job!

Yet Kim says we have the agenda when it's obvious he does. Defending the OL, OL recruiting and OL development is the biggest agenda to gain access of all the bullshit that Kim has ever done.
  • Options

pat_hm said:

Good poast but I disagree with the LT paragraph. He is already a lazy blocker lacking strength for his size at TE, I don't think he would have had the mentality required to be a lineman.
    Thanks man. I'm not necessarily arguing that he would have been an elite level LT. This conjecture is simply based on the fact that he was 6-7 260lbs enrolling early at UW. He could have been molded in to a number of different positions. Basketball background, good footwork, long arms, intelligent and cerebral mindset etc etc. Gaining weight was never a weakness for ASJ. I'm sure the fact that LT's aren't glorified the same way as a pass catching TE threat might have had something to do with the ultimate decision to stay at TE. Who knows, he could have really taken a liking to the position and developed a nasty streak that all the good ones have. None of us will ever know. Or he could have been a bust. You could argue the same about him switching to DE. It's simply notional.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ASJ is Jonathan Martin if he plays tackle. Case closed.