Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What's the one thing you miss most about living in Seattle?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,055
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
A high percentage of have resided at one point or another in the Emerald City. What the one thing you miss the most?

Personally, there's not much I miss about Seattle life. But damn do I miss the used bins in the record shops.

I made my first trip back town since the summer of 2020 for a quick row peter puffer reunion and started at Easy Street in West Seattle (shout to @CFetters_Nacho_Lover ) for breakfast and a bloody mary, then onto to Silver Platters SODO, and finally Jive Time and Daybreak in Fremont. Bought about dozen used LPs altogether, all collectible and in great shape.

It will be depressing to venture back into Ranch (Smith Rock) Records in Downtown Bend. They rarely get good used records. I suspect all these old logging camp, Ducktards just never amassed much in the way of good vinyl collections back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Comments

• Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,601
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2022
    Well I still have family there so I have my hot spots... Kells, Canlis, lots of restaurants and bars... haven't been there in 2 1/2 years though and my son is now telling me that downtown is dangerous at night and he is not sure I should be staying at the high level skyline hotels downtown that I normally frequent... [that says something, he is 6'3 and 225 lbs of solid weightlifting muscle]

Is that true?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,266
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Well I still have family there so I have my hot spots... Kells, Canlis, lots of restaurants and bars... haven't been there in 2 1/2 years though and my son is now telling me that downtown is dangerous at night and he is not sure I should be staying at the high level skyline hotels downtown that I normally frequent... [that says something, he is 6'3 and 225 lbs of solid weightlifting muscle]

Is that true?

When I was ghost writing a book for Herb Mead, he had all these stories about Canlis in the 60s and 70s and Sinatra tipping the valet guy $500, etc. I still haven't been to that restaurant.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Is that true?

My stepsister has lived in Arizona for about 15 years. She was bringing her new boyfriend to Seattle and they were going to stay downtown. I asked her if she was fucking crazy, do you have any idea what has happened? She moved her reservation to Redmond.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Everything Seattle 80’s. Everything.

Sonics, Kingdome, Pioneer Square, UDistruct. Fucking everywhere was awesome and aside from a little gang problem in the CD, safe as hell. Traffic wasn’t shitty yet. Housing still within reach. Incredible time.

Nothing Seattle 21st century. Miss fucking nothing. Haven’t been for about six years and don’t intend to go back. SEA on connectors and that’s it.

(You forgot the serial killers of the 80s along with CD gangs.)

I loved Seattle of the 90s, too.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,267
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I miss a lot of old Seattle of the 80's - 90's listed above...going to Pioneer Square, clubs and such, but since moving I really miss the restaurants (and the variety of them), and the little hole-in-the-wall bars and mom-and-pop cafe's we found over the years. ATBS, most of those places I would probably not venture into in 2022-era Seattle. Greenwood / Freelard was starting to turn quickly when we decided to vacate...We hung at Green Lake a lot, and now it's dead...
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

I miss a lot of old Seattle of the 80's - 90's listed above...going to Pioneer Square, clubs and such, but since moving I really miss the restaurants (and the variety of them), and the little hole-in-the-wall bars and mom-and-pop cafe's we found over the years. ATBS, most of those places I would probably not venture into in 2022-era Seattle. Greenwood / Freelard was starting to turn quickly when we decided to vacate...We hung at Green Lake a lot, and now it's dead...

Green Lake today...

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,757
    Seattle was fucking great until about 2000 and when the population was under 700k.

All the new stick skinny tech fags and their 300lb girlfriends have ballooned the population to over 800k and they all suck, have no character, no sense of humor, are fully loaded with social justice bullshit, and live through their fucking phones.

The speeding meteor of death cannot come fast enough for this dirty sphincter city.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,645
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I only ever lived in the U District. There isn't much there to miss. Taking shrooms amd walking around campus and the nicer residential streets on warm spring days when girls wear sun dresses. Good, cheap food of all flavors, record shops, decent bars and even live music all within walking distance.

Not much else.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Seattle was fucking great until about 2000 and when the population was under 700k.

All the new stick skinny tech fags and their 300lb girlfriends have ballooned the population to over 800k and they all suck, have no character, no sense of humor, are fully loaded with social justice bullshit, and live through their fucking phones.

The speeding meteor of death cannot come fast enough for this dirty sphincter city.

But what’s something positive that you miss?
  • Options
    booker14booker14 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 147
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Worked just on the south edge of Belltown in the 90s. I miss the little pubs and restaurants in the area and that it was fun to just people watch at lunch. I loved Two Bells tavern, went to lunch there many times and never made it back to the office. The Ballard Beaver was a cool little place with great shakes and burgers, decor was old Ballard high school stuff. The Dog House a block from the office, the grill at Frederick & Nelson, just to name a few. Used to catch the bus in the tunnel to go to Mariner games at the King Dome and walk back after with no fear for safety. I guess that's all just nostalgia, overall I miss the variety of restaurants and bars.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    booker14 said:

Worked just on the south edge of Belltown in the 90s. I miss the little pubs and restaurants in the area and that it was fun to just people watch at lunch. I loved Two Bells tavern, went to lunch there many times and never made it back to the office. The Ballard Beaver was a cool little place with great shakes and burgers, decor was old Ballard high school stuff. The Dog House a block from the office, the grill at Frederick & Nelson, just to name a few. Used to catch the bus in the tunnel to go to Mariner games at the King Dome and walk back after with no fear for safety. I guess that's all just nostalgia, overall I miss the variety of restaurants and bars.

These days there are sections that resemble a Calcutta slum. But more menacing.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

I only ever lived in the U District. There isn't much there to miss. Taking shrooms amd walking around campus and the nicer residential streets on warm spring days when girls wear sun dresses. Good, cheap food of all flavors, record shops, decent bars and even live music all within walking distance.

Not much else.

The Ave never had a good used record scene in my day. Mostly just CDs. Now it sucks even for that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

@DerekJohnson

So when i was a kid, Peter Canlis was among the top restaurateurs of the period, and Canlis, Rosellini’s Four-10 and the Other Place, Trader Vic's, The Windjammer, etc were the best places to eat in town.

As the town grew the restaurant scene exploded as downtown became a vibrant environment. My sister's high school boyfriend was Tony Canlis so we were quite familiar with the family and knew of them anyway because we regularly went to the restaurant as a family. Over the years a lot of family event dinners [weddings, Wakes and family social occasions] were held at Canlis.

The sizzle and pop of Canlis throughout all of their history was always their ability to create a quietly elegant atmosphere with superb service, the highest quality steak, Caesar salad and drinks in town, combined with a cool nighttime view of the water.

This is now the 3rd generation of ownership... after Peter died, Tony and his brother Chris took over the company, eventually Chris wound up being the owner operator, and now Chris's kids are operating the business.. I haven't been there in a while but the place has remained timeless over the last several generations so I doubt that much has changed.

I’ve had other meals on par with Canlis, but nothing tops that place for the experience. And the location/ view is tits.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,605
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Only thing that jumps to mind are the gyros and shawarmas from Aladdin Falafel on the Ave. I used to go there almost daily while attending UW. Haven't been there for several years.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,099
    Dicks, UW, 1991-1996
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,645
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Not much else.

The Ave never had a good used record scene in my day. Mostly just CDs. Now it sucks even for that.
    I'm not qualified to rate them like you do. When I say record shop I'm actually referring to a place where I bought cds. I know they had vinyl in there, but i didn't look at it.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,901
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Yeah I think 2000 was the point of demarkation between good Seattle and woke faggot Seattle. I remember wanting to move here by my "senior" year at UW in 2002.

When I was a kid, the population was 500,000 and it was liberal but not leftist. We just called SJWs annoying, bleeding heart liberals then.