Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Five-star recruit in Class of 2023 signs agreement that could pay him more than $8 million

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Stewart Mandel Mar 11, 2022 222

On Friday, a five-star recruit in the Class of 2023 signed an agreement with a school’s NIL collective that could pay him more than $8 million by the end of his junior year of college, The Athletic has learned. He’ll be paid $350,000 almost immediately, followed by monthly payouts escalating to more than $2 million per year once he begins his college career, in exchange for making public appearances and taking part in social media promotions and other NIL activities “on behalf of (the collective) or a third party.”

While there’s no centralized database to reference other contracts, two NIL experts believe it’s the largest individual NIL deal signed by a non-professional athlete.

Blake Lawrence, the founder of the NIL marketing platform Opendorse, said a deal that high seems like an outlier but added, “Whatever casual sports fans or coaches think student-athletes are earning from collectives, they’re (undershooting) by 10X. While $2 million (a year) is wild, $200,000 isn’t, but most people are thinking they’re getting $20,000.”

Lawyer Mike Caspino, who drafted the contract, allowed The Athletic to review and verify the contract in exchange for keeping the player and collectives’ identities anonymous. It provides a window into how donor-driven third parties tied to specific schools operate.

To read the rest:

https://theathletic.com/3178558/2022/03/11/five-star-recruit-in-class-of-2023-signs-agreement-with-collective-that-could-pay-him-more-than-8-million/

Comments

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    Will be fun to see this kid ride the bench and then portal out after 2 years
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,398
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This and almost any NIL deal seems like the worst investment ever.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

$1 million for Spencer Rattler only for him to get benched and portal
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I saw billboard ads in Georgia that featured football players. It just means more.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I saw billboard ads in Georgia that featured football players. It just means more.

There’s at least one company in Lexington with billboards featuring UK football and basketball players. #myWildcats
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,398
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have to assume there's something built into these NIL deals that are inflating the public numbers. They just seem insane given what your likely return is even if things work out fairly well.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    This is for Nico Iamaleava to go to Tennessee instead of Oregon.

It’s sickening. I think this is the best arm talent this side of Herbert, and we(?) have been outbid. Just makes me sick.
  • TheGhost206TheGhost206 Member Posts: 97
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Photogenic 5 Up Votes
    Someone needs to start an independent NIL firm that colleges can hire. I think that's UW's only hope. Not that they would pay out at the higher levels but at least someone would know what they're doing. We're so fucked with Montlake futures. lol
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Will be hilarious if he sucks
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam

Will be hilarious if he sucks

Odds are good

NIL isn't a horrible idea for actual players who are enrolled

Always better to pay for performance than potential

But the cats out now

It's a recruiting tool
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Chinflation is real
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

It’s sickening. I think this is the best arm talent this side of Herbert, and we(?) have been outbid. Just makes me sick.

Yeah, I’m sure Oregon had a great chance at the kid.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

It’s just really rich dudes getting in a Dick measuring contest while other rich dudes sit over to the side talking about how bad if an investment it is

Oh yeah, what’s the scoop? Did you have some better info than all the recruiting sites or have you sunk to such football lows that it’s not just “someone else beat Oregon, nothing else matters” you’re disputing hat-on-the-table status? You can’t even enjoy me being sad over teen boys, you have to dispute our(?) placement in the sweepstakes?

I don’t know if he was in any group chat. He did have a six inch Wolfdong that got flipped from Oregon to Tennessee this week when he agreed to the NIL deal. Three weeks ago he told ON3 he was committing in April, and their recruiting prediction thingy overwhelmingly predicted him to Oregon. Yesterday Tennessee’s site said it’s probably them, followed by Oregon and a small chance of Miami.

Oregon just got outbid. All of his finalists “have a great NIL program” and I congratulate Tennessee on winning the auction. My condolences to Jeremy Pruitt, he was ahead of his time.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Oh yeah, what’s the scoop? Did you have some better info than all the recruiting sites or have you sunk to such football lows that it’s not just “someone else beat Oregon, nothing else matters” you’re disputing hat-on-the-table status? You can’t even enjoy me being sad over teen boys, you have to dispute our(?) placement in the sweepstakes?

I don’t know if he was in any group chat. He did have a six inch Wolfdong that got flipped from Oregon to Tennessee this week when he agreed to the NIL deal. Three weeks ago he told ON3 he was committing in April, and their recruiting prediction thingy overwhelmingly predicted him to Oregon. Yesterday Tennessee’s site said it’s probably them, followed by Oregon and a small chance of Miami.

Oregon just got outbid. All of his finalists “have a great NIL program” and I congratulate Tennessee on winning the auction. My condolences to Jeremy Pruitt, he was ahead of his time.
    The irony is delicious. Love that the same thing that made Oregon relevant is now, in your eyes, what is hurting Oregon's chances at recruits.

Fuck off, Duck.
  • TrumpsWallTrumpsWall Member Posts: 461
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    There’s some talk that this deal has some pay back to once the kid hits the pros.

The irony is delicious. Love that the same thing that made Oregon relevant is now, in your eyes, what is hurting Oregon's chances at recruits.

Fuck off, Duck.
    I didn’t think the fake outrage could be any more obvious. Or that this is just adding transparency to what has always gone on. But I’m glad that something football related is bringing you joy, y’all could use it.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,244
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Yeah, I didn't read that much into his comments. He basically said the focus is keeping Washington kids home and dominating California. He noted that the 5-star kids that USC wants will stay home. So what. How many five-star players does UW ever get from anywhere, let alone Southern California. Yet even still, there is so much talent there that UW should be able to stock its program with great players (a lot of them need a year or two in the program to develop -- that's going to be where DeBoner earns his keep).

He didn't really say anything that was surprising or worrisome, imho. It was basically a story about how he's gotten to where he is and why he's at Washington. The dude is confident. And the article noted the staff booted Glenn down to director of player development while making the Oregon guy (Henkle?) director of recruiting and a former Michigan guy as director of scouting. Bruce Harrell's daughter is director of on-campus recruiting.

So it sounds like the grown ups are in charge. (Except in the AD's chair, and until that changes, I'm not going to get my hopes up even though I'm doogin more than I have since Peterman first came on board.)