Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest 70s One Hit Wonder - "Rock" Edition ?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,926
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Greatest 70s One Hit Wonder - "Rock" Edition ? 24 votes

Never Been Any Reason - Head East
12%
TheHBPurpleThrobberFishpo31 3 votes
Black Betty - Ram Jam
37%
RaceBannonSwayeYouKnowItchuckdfleabiak1DHDIPukeOregonGrellowbooker14 9 votes
All Right Now - Free
25%
DerekJohnsonTequillaLebamDawgWilliams3YellowSnowJoeEDangerously 6 votes
Smokin' in The Boys Rooms - Brownsville Station
0%
My Sharona - The Knack
16%
whlinderMad_SonAtomicDawghuskyhooligan 4 votes
Mississippi Queen - Mountain
0%
Flirtin' With Disaster - Molly Hatchet
0%
Green Grass & High Tides - The Outlaws
4%
alumni94 1 vote
Rock On - David Essex
0%
F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off
4%
USMChawk 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,252
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Memories of football locker rooms, Craig under dash 8 track players, and drinking Rainier out of kegs in the woods…
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,854
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fishpo31 said:

Memories of football locker rooms, Craig under dash 8 track players, and drinking Rainier out of kegs in the woods…

Got pretty fucked up in CDA circa 1982 with the bass player for Head East.

There may have been Wallace hookers and blow involved. Checking with my attorney on the hookers and blow statute of limitations. Definitely big-haired bitches from Peabody's.

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,252
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fishpo31 said:

Got pretty fucked up in CDA circa 1982 with the bass player for Head East.

There may have been Wallace hookers and blow involved. Checking with my attorney on the hookers and blow statute of limitations. Definitely big-haired bitches from Peabody's.

Saw them at the Boone Street Barn, circa 82…L-O-L Peabody’s and big hair!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,349
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Black Betty - Ram Jam
    My first wife called her mother in law this

Whoa

Wham de lam
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2022
    Black Betty - Ram Jam
    It's fucking Ram Jam or burn it all down. A black work song thrown down by the dorkiest white fucks ever in the most hooky way possible is the shit of legend. This song couldn't even be made today without getting the entire record company cancelled. It's fucking epic.

• Options
    booker14booker14 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 145
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Black Betty - Ram Jam
    That's a tough list to pick from. I think I own the album for at least five and probably six of them. I'll go with Ram Jam because they are the most "one hit" to me because I know I've never heard anything else from them. And a salute to Peabody's - I used to own a bunch of their mugs but my last wife hated them and threw them out.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Black Betty - Ram Jam
    Looks like the good guys came out to vote on this one.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All Right Now - Free
    chuck said:

I was pretty torn here. I wanted to go with Ram Jam, but All Right Now is just too much of the perfect song for its moment in time.

I don't care if it's cliche and ruined by overplay. It basically spawned an entire style of radio friendly, catchy hard rock in a way that Zep, Cream, Sabbath had never attempted.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All Right Now - Free
    What also love about this list is the prevalence of cowbell. The drummers today just don't know how to lay down some good cowbell.

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,543
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All Right Now - Free
    Good list but so many not on that list

One Toke over the Line comes to mind
    Baker Street, Kung Ku Fighting, I am trying to list all the ones that drive me crazy as I drive around and my wife keeps changing to SiriusXM 70's on 7 - the name could be changed to One hit wonders of 70s
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum and/or Cat’s in the Cradle by Harry Chapin would get my vote over any you listed.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All Right Now - Free
    USMChawk said:

Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum and/or Cat’s in the Cradle by Harry Chapin would get my vote over any you listed.

@USMChawk

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/94398/greatest-70s-one-hit-wonder-countr-folk-rock-edition#latest
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

USMChawk said:

@USMChawk

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/94398/greatest-70s-one-hit-wonder-countr-folk-rock-edition#latest

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Black Betty - Ram Jam

chuck said:

I was pretty torn here. I wanted to go with Ram Jam, but All Right Now is just too much of the perfect song for its moment in time.

I don't care if it's cliche and ruined by overplay. It basically spawned an entire style of radio friendly, catchy hard rock in a way that Zep, Cream, Sabbath had never attempted.
    I hate that song with a passion. I didn't want to come in opposite of the board chief but man, that song sucks. I see your point about it though.

USMChawk said:

@USMChawk

He has a point about Spirot In the Sky though doesn't he? I didn't see that on the list.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All Right Now - Free
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I hate that song with a passion. I didn't want to come in opposite of the board chief but man, that song sucks. I see your point about it though.

USMChawk said:

@USMChawk

He has a point about Spirot In the Sky though doesn't he? I didn't see that on the list.
    Spirit in the Sky was released in Dec. 1969. I had it pegged to the 60s.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,574
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

It's fucking Ram Jam or burn it all down. A black work song thrown down by the dorkiest white fucks ever in the most hooky way possible is the shit of legend. This song couldn't even be made today without getting the entire record company cancelled. It's fucking epic.

Very funny comments and so true about what record companies would say now about the song today... do like the signature Riff and the music video is an epic cult classic that now that seems like a SNL skit now.
  • Options
    booker14booker14 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 145
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Black Betty - Ram Jam

chuck said:

I'm a retard and can't figure out if I got the quote function to work, but I agree on All Right Now. However, to me it seems like it's just Bad Company's first hit. But take that for what it's worth because I went through a Paul Rodgers phase and have all of the original Bad Co albums as well as Willie and the Poor Boys and The Firm's two albums.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,140
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    All Right Now - Free
    All Right Now is on my list of top ten greatest rock songs ever. Everything you want, Sex (quasi-rape) Drugs and Rock and Roll. Some good guitar crunch and one of the best vocalists ever
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,349
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Black Betty - Ram Jam
    booker14 said:

chuck said:

I'm a retard and can't figure out if I got the quote function to work, but I agree on All Right Now. However, to me it seems like it's just Bad Company's first hit. But take that for what it's worth because I went through a Paul Rodgers phase and have all of the original Bad Co albums as well as Willie and the Poor Boys and The Firm's two albums.
    Bad Company is a lost classic