Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Keith Richard's Greatest Riff in Open G Tuning

2»

Comments

• Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Can't You Hear Me Knocking?

Open G tuning sounds impressive and cool but is pretty meh

Meh, how? Care to expand on this?
    I took off the top string, plucked around in open G for a while. I just meant you think you’ve opened some portal to new music and horizons then realize there’s just not as much there as you thought. Just my opinion
    I just leave the Low E string on and don't touch it, when playing in Open G. That's not how Keef does it, of course - he's got the famous 5 string telecaster.

A man's got to know his limitations, and I'm never gonna be an elite (lulz) picker and have to content myself with playing some riffs and short solos that make me sound cool. Open G scratches that itch. It's a fat, greasy type of sound that gave the Stones a unique sound that few were able to emulate. The Black Crowes come to mind with their first album being heavy on Open G.

That it doesn't open a portal to endless possibilities is of little import to me, personally.
    The only reason it even occurred to me was the fact that Keith has the five stringers. While re-stringing one night it just dawned on me looking at the bottoms five only being there so I just dropped the A down and started playing some power chords and such. Went about an hour and just never felt like anything clicked within me. The only seldom used tuning, as far as well known bands go, I have ever enjoyed or used on a frequent basis is a whole step down. DGCFAD

I’m more the less into the heavy shit though
    Yeah, I think Tommy Iommi tuned everything down a half step which gave Sabbath the original sludgey, heavy sound.

What kinda electric axe you got there @JoeEDangerously ?
    Tony did standard on the first two then went all the way down to C# on Master of Reality and after

Half step you’re talking EVH, Thin Lizzy, Alice In Chains, Metallica Justice album

I just have one Gibson left. Sold a Jackson and an Ibanez years ago. Wish I still had the Jackson
    Jackson and Ibanez guitars are way too hesher for me. I can't pull that off.

The Throbber has a Gretsch sitting about six feet away right this second.

Someday when he's not too busy making money, he'll learn how to play the damned thing.

I’m in the same boat. Had kids… quit playing
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,289
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I took off the top string, plucked around in open G for a while. I just meant you think you’ve opened some portal to new music and horizons then realize there’s just not as much there as you thought. Just my opinion
    I just leave the Low E string on and don't touch it, when playing in Open G. That's not how Keef does it, of course - he's got the famous 5 string telecaster.

A man's got to know his limitations, and I'm never gonna be an elite (lulz) picker and have to content myself with playing some riffs and short solos that make me sound cool. Open G scratches that itch. It's a fat, greasy type of sound that gave the Stones a unique sound that few were able to emulate. The Black Crowes come to mind with their first album being heavy on Open G.

That it doesn't open a portal to endless possibilities is of little import to me, personally.
    The only reason it even occurred to me was the fact that Keith has the five stringers. While re-stringing one night it just dawned on me looking at the bottoms five only being there so I just dropped the A down and started playing some power chords and such. Went about an hour and just never felt like anything clicked within me. The only seldom used tuning, as far as well known bands go, I have ever enjoyed or used on a frequent basis is a whole step down. DGCFAD

Yeah, I think Tommy Iommi tuned everything down a half step which gave Sabbath the original sludgey, heavy sound.

Tony did standard on the first two then went all the way down to C# on Master of Reality and after

Half step you’re talking EVH, Thin Lizzy, Alice In Chains, Metallica Justice album

I just have one Gibson left. Sold a Jackson and an Ibanez years ago. Wish I still had the Jackson

Someday when he's not too busy making money, he'll learn how to play the damned thing.

A REAL Gretsch or some made in Asia Gretsch?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m in the same boat. Had kids… quit playing
    I hate the Kidz!
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,615
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2022
    Top 5 song all time for me... love that riff blend and like the vocals as well
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022

Top 5 song all time for me... love that riff blend and like the vocals as well

It’s the greatest opening riff of all time. It’s even better with Joe Pesci on vocals.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=d5CTEQ8SeIs
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,281
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

A REAL Gretsch or some made in Asia Gretsch?
    Fuck if I know. It's black on the front (like me), brown on the back and has strings.