Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Keith Richard's Greatest Riff in Open G Tuning

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,260
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Keith Richard's Greatest Riff in Open G Tuning 10 votes

Rock Off
10%
GayThoughts 1 vote
Brown Sugar
0%
Can't You Hear Me Knocking?
40%
chuckYellowSnowJoeEDangerouslyTheRoarOfTheCrowd 4 votes
Happy
10%
Fishpo31 1 vote
Tumbling Dice
20%
DerekJohnsonlouism2wash 2 votes
Start Me Up
10%
EwaDawg 1 vote
Honky Tonk Woman
10%
YouKnowIt 1 vote
All Down The Line
0%

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    *Rocks Off
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Open G tuning sounds impressive and cool but is pretty meh
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Meh, how? Care to expand on this?
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,295
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Happy
    I damn near had an aneurism trying to pick one (tyfys Yella, great list), but settled on this version 'cause Keef is running the show here and really lets it fly...I would give my left nut to have seen the Winos back in the day...little wonder Charlie tapped Steve Jordan to fill in for him...
    https://youtu.be/crvYuMMJcOk
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,223
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Write in

Too bad Ronnie Wood had to beat Keef with the break, get up/slow down and Rod Stewart wins again with better tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtqF0qBqzZo
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Write in

Too bad Ronnie Wood had to beat Keef with the break, get up/slow down and Rod Stewart wins again with better tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtqF0qBqzZo

Didn’t they teach good Engrish at the 1 room school behind whore house In Wallace @PurpleThrobber ?

Stay With Me is in Open E tuning.

Christ.
  • Options
    Only band fags would know that.

The jocks were getting handies from the cheerleaders instead.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Only band fags would know that.

The jocks were getting handies from the cheerleaders instead.

Rod Stewart was a jock in a rock and roll band. No mutual exclusivity here.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I took off the top string, plucked around in open G for a while. I just meant you think you’ve opened some portal to new music and horizons then realize there’s just not as much there as you thought. Just my opinion
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I took off the top string, plucked around in open G for a while. I just meant you think you’ve opened some portal to new music and horizons then realize there’s just not as much there as you thought. Just my opinion
    I just leave the Low E string on and don't touch it, when playing in Open G. That's not how Keef does it, of course - he's got the famous 5 string telecaster.

A man's got to know his limitations, and I'm never gonna be an elite (lulz) picker and have to content myself with playing some riffs and short solos that make me sound cool. Open G scratches that itch. It's a fat, greasy type of sound that gave the Stones a unique sound that few were able to emulate. The Black Crowes come to mind with their first album being heavy on Open G.

That it doesn't open a portal to endless possibilities is of little import to me, personally.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 2022

I just leave the Low E string on and don't touch it, when playing in Open G. That's not how Keef does it, of course - he's got the famous 5 string telecaster.

A man's got to know his limitations, and I'm never gonna be an elite (lulz) picker and have to content myself with playing some riffs and short solos that make me sound cool. Open G scratches that itch. It's a fat, greasy type of sound that gave the Stones a unique sound that few were able to emulate. The Black Crowes come to mind with their first album being heavy on Open G.

That it doesn't open a portal to endless possibilities is of little import to me, personally.
    The only reason it even occurred to me was the fact that Keith has the five stringers. While re-stringing one night it just dawned on me looking at the bottoms five only being there so I just dropped the A down and started playing some power chords and such. Went about an hour and just never felt like anything clicked within me. The only seldom used tuning, as far as well known bands go, I have ever enjoyed or used on a frequent basis is a whole step down. DGCFAD

I’m more the less into the heavy shit though
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,697
    Founders Club
    Nothing special about Keith Richards' guitar skills. Sorry, homies.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not by your tastes. But there's a lot more to rock and roll than being Eddie Van Halen.

He's arguably the most important rhythm guitar player of all time. And Jagger/Richards are 2nd only the Lennon and McCartney as the greatest (group) songwriters.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The only reason it even occurred to me was the fact that Keith has the five stringers. While re-stringing one night it just dawned on me looking at the bottoms five only being there so I just dropped the A down and started playing some power chords and such. Went about an hour and just never felt like anything clicked within me. The only seldom used tuning, as far as well known bands go, I have ever enjoyed or used on a frequent basis is a whole step down. DGCFAD

Yeah, I think Tommy Iommi tuned everything down a half step which gave Sabbath the original sludgey, heavy sound.

What kinda electric axe you got there @JoeEDangerously ?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,704
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    One universal truth I've learned is that most people who know technical things about guitar playing are insufferable fags, at least while they're on that topic.

Not by your tastes. But there's a lot more to rock and roll than being Eddie Van Halen.

He's arguably the most important rhythm guitar player of all time. And Jagger/Richards are 2nd only the Lennon and McCartney as the greatest (group) songwriters.
    You ain't shredding, you ain't playing. That's the standard your average rock fan applies when ranking guitarists.
  • Options

You try playing guitar at 148 years old.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You try playing guitar at 148 years old.

• Options
    Founders Club

Yeah, I think Tommy Iommi tuned everything down a half step which gave Sabbath the original sludgey, heavy sound.

Tony did standard on the first two then went all the way down to C# on Master of Reality and after

Half step you’re talking EVH, Thin Lizzy, Alice In Chains, Metallica Justice album

I just have one Gibson left. Sold a Jackson and an Ibanez years ago. Wish I still had the Jackson
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tony did standard on the first two then went all the way down to C# on Master of Reality and after

Half step you’re talking EVH, Thin Lizzy, Alice In Chains, Metallica Justice album

I just have one Gibson left. Sold a Jackson and an Ibanez years ago. Wish I still had the Jackson
    Jackson and Ibanez guitars are way too hesher for me. I can't pull that off.

• Options

Jackson and Ibanez guitars are way too hesher for me. I can't pull that off.

The Throbber has a Gretsch sitting about six feet away right this second.

Someday when he's not too busy making money, he'll learn how to play the damned thing.