Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jamarcus Shepard WR/CO-Offensive Coordinator

Comments

• LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,751
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Why in the ever-living fuck are we not offering the Arizona WR coach to double his salary? Instead it sounds like we're moving on to either the San Jose State guy or a guy who was just fired from Colorado

It's not the Washington way to hurt your rivals. We root them on in our stead.

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,047
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ok well im going to wait till a school announcement. Seems like every announcement from random Twitter handles over the past 6 months is first and wrong
  • DoogerMcFarlandDoogerMcFarland Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 739
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Beno4Life said:

Beno4Life said:

TheHB said:

I know Jen is a buffoon and all, but why isn’t DeBoner culpable in all this? Do we know it’s strictly a money issue?

One of the bad signs early in the new coach’s time at the helm (I like to say “at the helm” when referring to a coach) is his inability to land great assistants.

If this is all on Jen, school me. But DeBoner isn’t impressing either.

Fucking this. After reading that Taki exit interview from Caple this morning, DeBoner can't seem to sell shit, let alone close. Fuck me.
    What exactly did you read that gave you that sense? I didn't see anything in there that suggested that Deboner made a particularly hard push, or that he was "out-sold" in any way. Sounds like Taki had had one foot out the door for well over a year now.

Deboner still might not be able to sell shit, so don't twist, but that interview wasn't evidence of anything.
    Hmm, unless I have the reading comprehension of a 3-year-old, I thought that entire section of the Taki interview, where he mentioned how Lanning and Tosh sold him not only on the scheme and development but also how Tosh explicitly sold him on it being okay going to a rival as a Husky. That, and meeting with DeBoer and still deciding Oregon was better for his future.

So, this excerpt:

"That’s when (D-line coach) Tony (Tuioti) was over there, and I had a really good relationship with him and the whole staff over there. I was thinking of going to Nebraska, then I also had Baylor and my buddy Apu (Siaki Ika) over there. Oregon came into the picture with Tony going over there, and then we talked a little bit more, and I just talked about “I’m a Husky,” you know? I was taught to hate Oregon. So it was hard for me. I told him that. Coaching-wise, there has to be something that pulls me there. I had a good talk with (new Oregon coach Dan) Lanning and his whole scheme and what he wanted to do, and it really impressed me.

He had told me who the DC would be, Tosh (Lupoi), and I have a really good relationship with Tosh. I’ve known him since my freshman year of high school. I ended up not going to Alabama (where Lupoi worked at the time) because it was too far and I really liked UW. And just with the opportunity, me and Tosh sat down and talked, and he told me he was a Husky, too, and he understands what it’s going to be like to do that. He went through his phase of not liking Oregon, too, and he said, “I promise you, (the criticism) will be bad, but I’ll be right here with you. You won’t just take the heat by yourself. It’s going to be me and you.” And I was like, well, yep, then let’s do it.

I met with DeBoer. We had a really good talk. It was actually really hard to leave. I was unsure, but I told him I just wanted to see other opportunities that I had out there, but I told him I would still consider UW. Then I threw my name in the portal, but we still kept in touch. And then I decided I was going to fully leave from UW and attend the University of Oregon."
    After our first COVID season, I kind of was thinking about (transferring), and I was like, man, these are my boys. I’m just going to (stick) this season out and see how it goes.

This is the “one foot out the door” part. He considered it after COVID year one and then made a commitment to himself that he’d stick around for 2021. Seems to me like he was going to reevaluate after this season no matter what.
  • RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 782
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    Let me break it for you. No fucking chance this program / staff gets this guy.

Fresno North Dawgs don’t poach P5 talent from other more desirable teams that show interest.

DOOMED.gif
  • Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2022

Beno4Life said:

Beno4Life said:

TheHB said:

I know Jen is a buffoon and all, but why isn’t DeBoner culpable in all this? Do we know it’s strictly a money issue?

One of the bad signs early in the new coach’s time at the helm (I like to say “at the helm” when referring to a coach) is his inability to land great assistants.

If this is all on Jen, school me. But DeBoner isn’t impressing either.

Fucking this. After reading that Taki exit interview from Caple this morning, DeBoner can't seem to sell shit, let alone close. Fuck me.
    What exactly did you read that gave you that sense? I didn't see anything in there that suggested that Deboner made a particularly hard push, or that he was "out-sold" in any way. Sounds like Taki had had one foot out the door for well over a year now.

Deboner still might not be able to sell shit, so don't twist, but that interview wasn't evidence of anything.
    Hmm, unless I have the reading comprehension of a 3-year-old, I thought that entire section of the Taki interview, where he mentioned how Lanning and Tosh sold him not only on the scheme and development but also how Tosh explicitly sold him on it being okay going to a rival as a Husky. That, and meeting with DeBoer and still deciding Oregon was better for his future.

So, this excerpt:

"That’s when (D-line coach) Tony (Tuioti) was over there, and I had a really good relationship with him and the whole staff over there. I was thinking of going to Nebraska, then I also had Baylor and my buddy Apu (Siaki Ika) over there. Oregon came into the picture with Tony going over there, and then we talked a little bit more, and I just talked about “I’m a Husky,” you know? I was taught to hate Oregon. So it was hard for me. I told him that. Coaching-wise, there has to be something that pulls me there. I had a good talk with (new Oregon coach Dan) Lanning and his whole scheme and what he wanted to do, and it really impressed me.

He had told me who the DC would be, Tosh (Lupoi), and I have a really good relationship with Tosh. I’ve known him since my freshman year of high school. I ended up not going to Alabama (where Lupoi worked at the time) because it was too far and I really liked UW. And just with the opportunity, me and Tosh sat down and talked, and he told me he was a Husky, too, and he understands what it’s going to be like to do that. He went through his phase of not liking Oregon, too, and he said, “I promise you, (the criticism) will be bad, but I’ll be right here with you. You won’t just take the heat by yourself. It’s going to be me and you.” And I was like, well, yep, then let’s do it.

I met with DeBoer. We had a really good talk. It was actually really hard to leave. I was unsure, but I told him I just wanted to see other opportunities that I had out there, but I told him I would still consider UW. Then I threw my name in the portal, but we still kept in touch. And then I decided I was going to fully leave from UW and attend the University of Oregon."
    After our first COVID season, I kind of was thinking about (transferring), and I was like, man, these are my boys. I’m just going to (stick) this season out and see how it goes.

This is the “one foot out the door” part. He considered it after COVID year one and then made a commitment to himself that he’d stick around for 2021. Seems to me like he was going to reevaluate after this season no matter what.
    I hear ya. This "one foot out the door" frame of mind makes sense.

Perhaps it's the NegaDoog in me, but it just seems like sellers sell. And Lanning/Tosh sold it better than DeBoer/Inoke/Inge, even as THE rival program, as Tosh seemed to clearly lay it out and sell how he was going to defend him.

In other words, even if he had thoughts of transferring, an elite salesman would validate their thoughts and then tell them how their new strategy is better.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,514
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    FireCohen said:

Fire Cohen

Agree
    I see her retiring in the next year or two. May depend on how Hopkins does the rest of the season and if he is (barely) able to stick around for 2022-2023.
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

FireCohen said:

Fire Cohen

Agree
    I see her retiring in the next year or two. May depend on how Hopkins does the rest of the season and if he is (barely) able to stick around for 2022-2023.
    She’s horrible. I can’t see any upside to her retaining her job
  • CH0PwarlordCH0Pwarlord Member Posts: 224
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2022
    Is Darrin Chiaverini the back up? It’s not flashy but he’s a decent recruiter and will produce WRs. Could be way worse choices.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Is Darrin Chiaverini the back up? It’s not flashy but he’s a decent recruiter and will produce WRs. Could be way worse choices.

There’s been talk about him, but there’s also been talk about Scott from San Jose St.

So you know we? will end up with Scott.
  • DawgtillDeathDawgtillDeath Member Posts: 147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

There’s been talk about him, but there’s also been talk about Scott from San Jose St.

So you know we? will end up with Scott.
    I think I'd rather have Scott than Chiaverini. https://sjsuspartans.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/eric-scott/697
  • TrumpsWallTrumpsWall Member Posts: 461
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I still haven’t heard anything about Sheppard taking the ND job yet. Wtf?
    Swaye's Wigwam

Notre Dame is interviewing Bama's WR coach Holmon Wiggins sometime this week (maybe as early as today?). They had to wait until the season was over. Shephard is their second choice so they're going to see if Wiggins rejects them first.
  • HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 992
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2022

Notre Dame is interviewing Bama's WR coach Holmon Wiggins sometime this week (maybe as early as today?). They had to wait until the season was over. Shephard is their second choice so they're going to see if Wiggins rejects them first.
    Yeah this is the same thing I've seen on various posts and tweets but it seems odd since some coaches involved in the playoffs already accepted new jobs -- why does Bama's WR coach need to wait until after the playoffs to even interview while Georgia's DC didn't have to wait in order to interview and accept. It isn't like Bama benefited by making their WR coach wait.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Yeah this is the same thing I've seen on various posts and tweets but it seems odd since some coaches involved in the playoffs already accepted new jobs -- why does Bama's WR coach need to wait until after the playoffs to even interview while Georgia's DC didn't have to wait in order to interview and accept. It isn't like Bama benefited by making their WR coach wait.
    Having his co-DC become a head coach at a desirable P-5 far away is a feather in Kirby’s cap. Saban losing a position coach he would like to keep to a lateral move isn’t. If the assistant isn’t hired then he’s also pissed off the dark lord. Or maybe he legitimately didn’t want the distraction, but for a coordinator or HC job the distraction is worth it.