Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

It Just Means More

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,361 Founders Club

You guys are acting like buying players is a novel concept with NIL. Teams that care always have, they just don’t have to hide it now.

All the NIL is, is the payment of players with an outside corporate name behind it. Set up a corporation, dump money into it, and send it to prospects and existing players. If Jackson St can outbid Florida st for a top recruit, then any power 5 school can get anybody they want if the price is right.

Imagine the Free Pub if Sonic sold some of his Bitcoin, and Derek and the rest of you pooled money together. Sign a Hardcore Husky NIL to one single top recruit.

I tend to agree. I don't think NIL by itself is what dooms CFB. Allowing kids to leave whenever they want, combined with other schools now being able to buy them off and use lesser schools as their farm system, is the problem. Fixing the portal with terms regarding how many transfers you can make, how long you have to wait to transfer, etc will take care of a lot of the current problems.
    Yep. The portal is going to get real fun with the NIL deals now. It's free agency. Biggest wallet wins. Meanwhile Karen and Jen want you to laugh at dogs and send brownie recipes. Fuck this rinky dink program.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    ntxduck said:

This must be the “coming up with reasons to emotionally detach from the sport entirely (the whole sport is doomed!!!!) because their program is trash” stage of grief. Cfb still gonna be rolling a decade from now despite your take my ball and go home manifestations.

It will still be around. And Alabama will be defending their 11th consecutive title. I’m sure they will pack the house…and Oregon will be on their 6th coach from now. Sounds fun.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,586 Swaye's Wigwam

ntxduck said:

This must be the “coming up with reasons to emotionally detach from the sport entirely (the whole sport is doomed!!!!) because their program is trash” stage of grief. Cfb still gonna be rolling a decade from now despite your take my ball and go home manifestations.

It will still be around. And Alabama will be defending their 11th consecutive title. I’m sure they will pack the house…and Oregon will be a forgotten program because their mega booster is dead and Nike will not treat them any different than Missouri.
  • TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 827 Founders Club
    ntxduck said:

Cfb still gonna be rolling a decade from now despite your take my ball and go home manifestations.

That doesn't mean much. The government is still around and it's been useless for at least 40-50 years.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    haie said:

ntxduck said:

It will still be around. And Alabama will be defending their 11th consecutive title. I’m sure they will pack the house…and Oregon will be a forgotten program because their mega booster is dead and Nike will not treat them any different than Missouri.
    So like Washington now?

haie said:

ntxduck said:

So like Washington now?
    It'll be worse than Washington because no one cares about shitty schools in Eugene Oregon.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,587 Founders Club

ntxduck said:

The reason why so many prefer college to NFL is the emotional connection. When that’s gone because of NIL bullshit and unrestricted free agency it’s no longer the same sport. So what’s the point?

Go Chargers!
    That strong feeling that alums have when they return to their schools for Homecoming and reunions. That will fritter away too when it comes to football and basketball.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,056 Founders Club

ntxduck said:

The reason why so many prefer college to NFL is the emotional connection. When that’s gone because of NIL bullshit and unrestricted free agency it’s no longer the same sport. So what’s the point?

Go Chargers!
    That strong feeling that alums have when they return to their schools for Homecoming and reunions. That will fritter away too when it comes to football and basketball.
    Look, I don’t disagree with the opinions that UW doesn’t seem serious doing whatever it takes to win in NIL era “college” football.

I just don’t know if it’s something worth saving at this point.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    haie said:

haie said:

ntxduck said:

So like Washington now?
    It'll be worse than Washington because no one cares about shitty schools in Eugene Oregon.
    Nike cares
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,418 Swaye's Wigwam
    Hard to believe these players now have access to money AND free agency. That's like getting happy hour at any time of the day you want
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    ntxduck said:

You're right about the motivation. But CFB as a whole is also dying. The two make for convenient bed fellows, but we're not wrong
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,601

ntxduck said:

You're right about the motivation. But CFB as a whole is also dying. The two make for convenient bed fellows, but we're not wrong
    Based on what metrics?
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Based on what metrics?
    I remember when people asked us this when Jimmy Lake was still hip, cool, and 3-1. College football is full of lagging indicators.
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Based on what metrics?
    Attendance. https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/does-college-football-have-an-attendance-problem/
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,601

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Based on what metrics?
    Attendance. https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/does-college-football-have-an-attendance-problem/
    The article even goes out of its way to mention the trend over the last decade isn’t unique to cfb. Are you positing that all sports are doomed since they’ve seen similar decreases?
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Based on what metrics?
    The article even goes out of its way to mention the trend over the last decade isn’t unique to cfb. Are you positing that all sports are doomed since they’ve seen similar decreases?
    CFB is charging professional prices for an amateur product. Especially if you have to donate to the school.

Then there's the "UW-ification" of schools you wouldn't expect that from, such as Florida. Unlike Alabama they can't accept the U0 alums on this bored.

Oregon fans don't have to worry about that though. UO druids would kill themselves to be Florida and Kentucky, let alone UW, UCLA, etc.
    edited January 2022
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Based on what metrics?
    Keep your head in the sand.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/10/college-football-attendance-decline-ncaa

It said there was a slip in most sports due to COVID. It said nothing about a downward trend in others sports like they show in college football. HTH.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,418 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Based on what metrics?
    Keep your head in the sand.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/10/college-football-attendance-decline-ncaa

It said there was a slip in most sports due to COVID. It said nothing about a downward trend in others sports like they show in college football. HTH.
    Not sure you have legs. Take a look at the pure unadulterated facts

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/research/Finances/2020RES_D1-RevExp_Report.pdf