Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Dana Hall gets it

Comments

• LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,785

jecornel said:

these kids today want to be paid immediately with little to no commitment. The recruits don't even look at the free school angle. Look at all these poor suckers racking up 100K in school debt and then scream at the boomers for it. The youth today live in a total fantasy world. If these kids spent as much time on their commitment videos they would breeze through their half-baked classes that most players don't even attend. Most coaches eat shit for years before getting a good salary in coaching. Players can eat a little humble pie before making some dough.

This point always gets missed. Yes, the coaches get paid a shit ton, but they still have grind and work their way to the big pay day.

Again, there's huge fucking pay day for the kids in the NFL if they are elite at football. They should quit bitching about getting paid for for hypotheticals.
    or you can just be Jimmy Lake.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,607 Standard Supporter

yes, the issue is that the unlike MLB and the NBA ~ as a result of self imposed rules, NFL teams can not draft high school or junior high kids at this point... if they could and in fact were mandated by the courts that they had to change their rules to enable this because failing to do so is denying kids their economic rights then the kids would have the choice regarding being a pro player (paid) or an amateur (unpaid college) ~ and as a result, their argument that their restricted paid labor rights were being abridged then goes out the window.

Pro teams would then have developmental team facilities kind of the like the fall league in baseball or the CBA in basketball and college would be again able to "govern" "their" game "legally" ~ whatever that now means.

College conferences should sue the NFL to force them to change their rules regarding prohibiting teams from drafting people based on age and or college eligibility.

Going from memory so could be wrong, but isn't it also because the NFLPA agrees to the rule? Their union isn't open to anyone; only to members 3 years out of high school or more. Why would the union agree to change?

Who is bringing the suit to the league and the union?
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

LawDawg1 said:

jecornel said:

these kids today want to be paid immediately with little to no commitment. The recruits don't even look at the free school angle. Look at all these poor suckers racking up 100K in school debt and then scream at the boomers for it. The youth today live in a total fantasy world. If these kids spent as much time on their commitment videos they would breeze through their half-baked classes that most players don't even attend. Most coaches eat shit for years before getting a good salary in coaching. Players can eat a little humble pie before making some dough.

This point always gets missed. Yes, the coaches get paid a shit ton, but they still have grind and work their way to the big pay day.

Again, there's huge fucking pay day for the kids in the NFL if they are elite at football. They should quit bitching about getting paid for for hypotheticals.
    or you can just be Jimmy Lake.
    Jimmy Lake spent 20 years as an assistant. His resume through 2019 merited getting a D1 head coach job.
    Sad part dude had an opportunity to make generational wealth for his kids. Dude pissed it all away. Hopefully Saba gives him an opportunity
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,650 Founders Club

Unfortunately this problem is way bigger than UW. Way bigger.

The game is slowly being ruined, and that’s not sour grapes. It’s really time for a whole sale re-evaluation of the baseline for college athletics. And that starts with the first and most important question: why do we? do this and for whom do we do it?

Then, and this won’t be popular, are we? involving the right kinds of people in this activity?

They seem like simple questions, but opinions vary wildly.

Pretty much everything is being ruined. Husky football was fucked a long time ago.

College football and basketball are minor leagues which creates the problem. Based off of the people involved they don’t want it to be that. But they make so much money off of it it’s only fair to let the players make the money too. The other issue is if you tried to form an independent actual minor league nobody will watch and they don’t make money. The logos actually matter more than the players.

Exactly. Without the school uni, the players are worth nothing. If people want to argue the players need a bigger cut that argument can be mad, but don’t for a second think it’s the individual players generating the revenue.

Take the same players from Oregon and Washington, put them on minor league NFL teams from Eugene and Seattle and see how much money they bring in from attendance, TV, and merch. No one would care or watch. We know this because it’s been tried. But with better players than college players.
    This is pretty spot on. The only people who attend minor league baseball games are people who (1) are insane fans and have little else going on their lives, or (2) are serious baseball fans and live in cities without a MLB team. It's a functional league and nobody gaF who wins whatever division. It's a talent farm, hence the name.

College football is different precisely because of the school and geographical affiliation. It's why every fan base hates when a local kid leaves to play against the local team. It's emotional and personal.

Some of the same principles apply to the NFL as well. If they players go too far and fuck up the league then they have nowhere to go. We all know there are people who have the physical talent to play at the NFL level who for whatever reason (usually they're fucked up people) aren't doing it. A lot of them are in prison. Does anybody care that there is a defensive end in Walla Walla or Sing Sing who could help the Hawks or could have played for Washington? No. You don't. He's not here. That's why you don't care.

You only care about players who help YOUR team, not players who aren't involved. The team part is more important than I think the average player realizes.
    Fuck the kids.

I care about Washington.
    Does WA care about you?

yes, the issue is that the unlike MLB and the NBA ~ as a result of self imposed rules, NFL teams can not draft high school or junior high kids at this point... if they could and in fact were mandated by the courts that they had to change their rules to enable this because failing to do so is denying kids their economic rights then the kids would have the choice regarding being a pro player (paid) or an amateur (unpaid college) ~ and as a result, their argument that their restricted paid labor rights were being abridged then goes out the window.

Pro teams would then have developmental team facilities kind of the like the fall league in baseball or the CBA in basketball and college would be again able to "govern" "their" game "legally" ~ whatever that now means.

College conferences should sue the NFL to force them to change their rules regarding prohibiting teams from drafting people based on age and or college eligibility.

Mother fucking this.

I'm so sick and god damned tired about hearing about the economic rights of the kids.

Let 'em turn pro outta HS and play in the NFL farm system.

Should they be allowed to come back to the NCAA if turning professional doesn't work out? I'd argue against that if you want to protect college and amateur sports in general.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,987 Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

Mother fucking this.

I'm so sick and god damned tired about hearing about the economic rights of the kids.

Let 'em turn pro outta HS and play in the NFL farm system.

Should they be allowed to come back to the NCAA if turning professional doesn't work out? I'd argue against that if you want to protect college and amateur sports in general.
    No.
    RoadTrip said:

College football and basketball are minor leagues which creates the problem. Based off of the people involved they don’t want it to be that. But they make so much money off of it it’s only fair to let the players make the money too. The other issue is if you tried to form an independent actual minor league nobody will watch and they don’t make money. The logos actually matter more than the players.

Exactly. Without the school uni, the players are worth nothing. If people want to argue the players need a bigger cut that argument can be mad, but don’t for a second think it’s the individual players generating the revenue.

Take the same players from Oregon and Washington, put them on minor league NFL teams from Eugene and Seattle and see how much money they bring in from attendance, TV, and merch. No one would care or watch. We know this because it’s been tried. But with better players than college players.
    This is pretty spot on. The only people who attend minor league baseball games are people who (1) are insane fans and have little else going on their lives, or (2) are serious baseball fans and live in cities without a MLB team. It's a functional league and nobody gaF who wins whatever division. It's a talent farm, hence the name.

College football is different precisely because of the school and geographical affiliation. It's why every fan base hates when a local kid leaves to play against the local team. It's emotional and personal.

Some of the same principles apply to the NFL as well. If they players go too far and fuck up the league then they have nowhere to go. We all know there are people who have the physical talent to play at the NFL level who for whatever reason (usually they're fucked up people) aren't doing it. A lot of them are in prison. Does anybody care that there is a defensive end in Walla Walla or Sing Sing who could help the Hawks or could have played for Washington? No. You don't. He's not here. That's why you don't care.

You only care about players who help YOUR team, not players who aren't involved. The team part is more important than I think the average player realizes.
    Fuck the kids.

I care about Washington.
    Does WA care about you?
    Not presently.

But it’s still a brand I’m stuck with.
  • RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 819 Founders Club

If we’re gonna play this game, and we’re gonna start getting paid, kind of seems like a scholarship should become a contract.

I don’t disagree. But it’s kinda like when Linked in Chevron hits you up with a DM to steal you away from 76.

• LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,785
    I can’t wait for all these players going to jail because of tax evasion. Pretty ironic that when Oregon starts winning off-season NCs the game is fricked.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,684 Founders Club
    Thus consummation devoutly to be: that makes us rather bear those ills we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause. There's the whips and makes us rather bear the name of office, and their to, 'tis nobler in the law's delay, the respect that is the pangs of us all; and, by a sleep; to sleep; no more; and, by a sleep; to suffer the rub; for who would bear those ills we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause. There's the oppressor's wrong, the unworthy takes, when he himself would bar the whips and scorns of time.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,684 Founders Club
    whlinder said:

Going from memory so could be wrong, but isn't it also because the NFLPA agrees to the rule? Their union isn't open to anyone; only to members 3 years out of high school or more. Why would the union agree to change?

Who is bringing the suit to the league and the union?
    College conferences should bring the suit, they are the party experiencing disruption to their business model... and they have the money and resources to force the change.

RTD said:

If we’re gonna play this game, and we’re gonna start getting paid, kind of seems like a scholarship should become a contract.

I don’t disagree. But it’s kinda like when Linked in Chevron hits you up with a DM to steal you away from 76.

I’m not going to cut off thy nose to spite thy face and say it’s all ruined and later guys. I’ll keep watching until I don’t but the future doesn’t sound very intriguing.
    Pretty much where I'm at. I didn't drop the NFL with a big going away party or a massive statement. I slowly lost interest and then one day woke up and found myself as that guy who finds out about NFL shit two months after the fact (if even then, if even ever) and often from some weird woman who is obsessed about it. I don't even have a lot of male friends who really give a shit about it anymore. I didn't go away mad. I just went away. Same will happen with cfb too I suspect.
    The 1990 Huskies made me lose interest in #MyBolts except for the one Junior Seau Super Bowl run in the mid 90s.

Now #MyBolts are one win away from a wild card spot with a Big Dick Oregon Duck QB.

Will the circle be unbroken, by and by lord, by and by.