Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

24- 7

13»

Comments

• EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333

AEB said:

Emoterman said:

Plus one and be done

Restore the tie ins and make New Year's Day great again

The “cherry bowl” was the best thing @Dennis_DeYoung ever argued for. 1 vs 2 in the AP poll a few weeks after the NYD bowl games.

Georgia already lost to Bammer. I don’t believe in second chances including conference championship games.
    Wasn't this the system that already existed in the early BCS days? Then they expanded it to four?

I used to argue for an expanded playoff, but now I really don't give a shit. NIL, the portal, and insane coaching salaries have broken college football. It's like taking the worst of professional sports, turbocharging it, and mixing it with an on-field product less balanced and competitive than high school ball. It's been a long time since I've given a shit about the NFL, as I've always chased the purity and variety of college ball. I can see a world where people like me just start watching high school ball to get our fix.
    I’ve started admitting to my NFL first buddies that the league now has a better product. It pains me to say it but it’s the truth.

I wish we could make this offer to the kids: no NIL and no instant transfer portal in exchange for being able to be drafted straight outta high school if needed.

I’d rather deal with one and dones vs the current bull shit.
    NFL won't draft 18 year olds to directly play against 28 year old men. There are exactly zero who are ready for it... Well maybe a godlike kicker or punter could hack it. This wouldn't happen without farm leagues, and NFL is perfectly content with the ridiculously robust, wide, and deep farm league they've got.
    Of course they (NFL) won't. But NIL is by far the biggest crock of bullshit yet to descend upon college football.

If a kid's good enough earn money playing sports ball, let them go do it in the pros and leave the college game alone
    While I agree with the sentiment that the college game is a joke now or becoming one, I disagree about not paying the players. College coaches by in large are fucking dumbass douches who are grossly overpaid. The source of their incomes are conference TV contracts delivering a product played by the players. NIL is stupid but something better should replace it. Eventually the players are going to strike. Book it.

As an aside, I met Tedford in the early 2000s while at Berkeley. He’s held a high regard by HH. He’s a fucking meat too.
    Players may strike at individual institutions but nationally, unless they have uniform national representation, they won't.

Keep in mind that the best-compensated players will be in anti-labor red states, fat and happy, they won't rock the boat.
    Pretty hard for the best compensated players to play without everyone else. NIL probably drives unionization even faster as the have-nots become envious of and embittered towards the players who are getting paid.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,218

There is no reason to expand the playoffs

Need to open it up to more teams for the sake of recruiting. It's the same 3-4 teams every year which only extends the recruiting advantages at those schools. Other schools need a chance to sell the chance of playing in the playoffs if a kid goes to their school. Expand it or get rid of it entirely.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,218
    Emoterman said:

AEB said:

Emoterman said:

Plus one and be done

The “cherry bowl” was the best thing @Dennis_DeYoung ever argued for. 1 vs 2 in the AP poll a few weeks after the NYD bowl games.

Georgia already lost to Bammer. I don’t believe in second chances including conference championship games.
    Wasn't this the system that already existed in the early BCS days? Then they expanded it to four?

I used to argue for an expanded playoff, but now I really don't give a shit. NIL, the portal, and insane coaching salaries have broken college football. It's like taking the worst of professional sports, turbocharging it, and mixing it with an on-field product less balanced and competitive than high school ball. It's been a long time since I've given a shit about the NFL, as I've always chased the purity and variety of college ball. I can see a world where people like me just start watching high school ball to get our fix.
    I’ve started admitting to my NFL first buddies that the league now has a better product. It pains me to say it but it’s the truth.

I wish we could make this offer to the kids: no NIL and no instant transfer portal in exchange for being able to be drafted straight outta high school if needed.

NFL won't draft 18 year olds to directly play against 28 year old men. There are exactly zero who are ready for it... Well maybe a godlike kicker or punter could hack it. This wouldn't happen without farm leagues, and NFL is perfectly content with the ridiculously robust, wide, and deep farm league they've got.
    Of course they (NFL) won't. But NIL is by far the biggest crock of bullshit yet to descend upon college football.

If a kid's good enough earn money playing sports ball, let them go do it in the pros and leave the college game alone
    While I agree with the sentiment that the college game is a joke now or becoming one, I disagree about not paying the players. College coaches by in large are fucking dumbass douches who are grossly overpaid. The source of their incomes are conference TV contracts delivering a product played by the players. NIL is stupid but something better should replace it. Eventually the players are going to strike. Book it.

As an aside, I met Tedford in the early 2000s while at Berkeley. He’s held a high regard by HH. He’s a fucking meat too.
    The coaching salaries are a joke. I just don’t know how you fix that at this point.
    Players unionize, demand a share of revenues to be shared roughly equally amongst all players, and eat into the coaches' lucre.

What was the driving force behind the infinite portal, by the way? I assume it will die down when portal products never see the field at their new school, but for now it's a shit show.
    I doubt that would drive down coaching salaries. What it would do is kill off non-revenue sports at schools.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,671 Standard Supporter
    the only reason BCS is better than the playoff system is Ty wasn't involved.

Whatever they do I just do care about one thing, it should contain only league champions - only one member from a league allowed. So if they expand to 8 they better have 8 leagues to pick from. Independents be damned, join a frigging league if you want to win a phony championship.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,723
    Emoterman said:

AEB said:

Emoterman said:

Plus one and be done

Players may strike at individual institutions but nationally, unless they have uniform national representation, they won't.

Keep in mind that the best-compensated players will be in anti-labor red states, fat and happy, they won't rock the boat.
    Pretty hard for the best compensated players to play without everyone else. NIL probably drives unionization even faster as the have-nots become envious of and embittered towards the players who are getting paid.
    I don't think players share uniform grievances. The only ones who feel exploited will be the ones who actually care about studying and are not competing for championships. i.e. Cal and Northwestern players.

The SEC players would never strike because so many are taken care of financially and football is a religion and cultural obligation. They have systematic academic fraud in place. Also, keep in mind tons of CFB players pushed to play in the covid year, they didn't want a "work stoppage" over questionable conditions.

The SEC played a full season by itself just fine. They don't need the rest of the country to play.

Pac players might strike. In any case, if player compensation is tied to conference TV packages then it will be a tiered system, SEC at the top, Big behind, Pac in the rear. And the talent hemorrage from the Pac footprint will only accelerate.

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

There is no reason to expand the playoffs

Need to open it up to more teams for the sake of recruiting. It's the same 3-4 teams every year which only extends the recruiting advantages at those schools. Other schools need a chance to sell the chance of playing in the playoffs if a kid goes to their school. Expand it or get rid of it entirely.
    How would you do it?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Emoterman said:

AEB said:

Emoterman said:

Plus one and be done

At some point, there will be a salary cap. Cook it.