Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

24- 7

Comments

• AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971

Emoterman said:

Plus one and be done

Restore the tie ins and make New Year's Day great again

The “cherry bowl” was the best thing @Dennis_DeYoung ever argued for. 1 vs 2 in the AP poll a few weeks after the NYD bowl games.

Georgia already lost to Bammer. I don’t believe in second chances including conference championship games.
    Wasn't this the system that already existed in the early BCS days? Then they expanded it to four?

I used to argue for an expanded playoff, but now I really don't give a shit. NIL, the portal, and insane coaching salaries have broken college football. It's like taking the worst of professional sports, turbocharging it, and mixing it with an on-field product less balanced and competitive than high school ball. It's been a long time since I've given a shit about the NFL, as I've always chased the purity and variety of college ball. I can see a world where people like me just start watching high school ball to get our fix.
    I’ve started admitting to my NFL first buddies that the league now has a better product. It pains me to say it but it’s the truth.

I wish we could make this offer to the kids: no NIL and no instant transfer portal in exchange for being able to be drafted straight outta high school if needed.

I’d rather deal with one and dones vs the current bull shit.
    NFL won't draft 18 year olds to directly play against 28 year old men. There are exactly zero who are ready for it... Well maybe a godlike kicker or punter could hack it. This wouldn't happen without farm leagues, and NFL is perfectly content with the ridiculously robust, wide, and deep farm league they've got.
    Of course they (NFL) won't. But NIL is by far the biggest crock of bullshit yet to descend upon college football.

If a kid's good enough earn money playing sports ball, let them go do it in the pros and leave the college game alone
    While I agree with the sentiment that the college game is a joke now or becoming one, I disagree about not paying the players. College coaches by in large are fucking dumbass douches who are grossly overpaid. The source of their incomes are conference TV contracts delivering a product played by the players. NIL is stupid but something better should replace it. Eventually the players are going to strike. Book it.

As an aside, I met Tedford in the early 2000s while at Berkeley. He’s held a high regard by HH. He’s a fucking meat too.
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333

The Cinnci defense was tuffer on Bama than Georgia

If Bama plays shitty offense like last night the DAWGS will win

Objectively on paper Georgia is better. On the field they weren't. Nice to get a second chance

Not really. Bama was running all over Cincy and Cincy couldn’t move the ball. They didn’t have to throw it downfield and score.
    Bama had more yards and points against Georgia

Really
    I have heard tales that Saban has evolved and abandoned his tuff defensive identity and protecting it with a balanced offense in favor of shootouts, while presumably that's still former nose guard Fickell's brand. Make of that what you will, I didn't watch either game; dunno if you heard, but CFB is DED.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,056 Founders Club
    AEB said:

Emoterman said:

Plus one and be done

The “cherry bowl” was the best thing @Dennis_DeYoung ever argued for. 1 vs 2 in the AP poll a few weeks after the NYD bowl games.

Georgia already lost to Bammer. I don’t believe in second chances including conference championship games.
    Wasn't this the system that already existed in the early BCS days? Then they expanded it to four?

I used to argue for an expanded playoff, but now I really don't give a shit. NIL, the portal, and insane coaching salaries have broken college football. It's like taking the worst of professional sports, turbocharging it, and mixing it with an on-field product less balanced and competitive than high school ball. It's been a long time since I've given a shit about the NFL, as I've always chased the purity and variety of college ball. I can see a world where people like me just start watching high school ball to get our fix.
    I’ve started admitting to my NFL first buddies that the league now has a better product. It pains me to say it but it’s the truth.

I wish we could make this offer to the kids: no NIL and no instant transfer portal in exchange for being able to be drafted straight outta high school if needed.

NFL won't draft 18 year olds to directly play against 28 year old men. There are exactly zero who are ready for it... Well maybe a godlike kicker or punter could hack it. This wouldn't happen without farm leagues, and NFL is perfectly content with the ridiculously robust, wide, and deep farm league they've got.
    Of course they (NFL) won't. But NIL is by far the biggest crock of bullshit yet to descend upon college football.

If a kid's good enough earn money playing sports ball, let them go do it in the pros and leave the college game alone
    While I agree with the sentiment that the college game is a joke now or becoming one, I disagree about not paying the players. College coaches by in large are fucking dumbass douches who are grossly overpaid. The source of their incomes are conference TV contracts delivering a product played by the players. NIL is stupid but something better should replace it. Eventually the players are going to strike. Book it.

As an aside, I met Tedford in the early 2000s while at Berkeley. He’s held a high regard by HH. He’s a fucking meat too.
    The coaching salaries are a joke. I just don’t know how you fix that at this point.

AEB said:

Emoterman said:

Plus one and be done

The coaching salaries are a joke. I just don’t know how you fix that at this point.
    Players unionize, demand a share of revenues to be shared roughly equally amongst all players, and eat into the coaches' lucre.

What was the driving force behind the infinite portal, by the way? I assume it will die down when portal products never see the field at their new school, but for now it's a shit show.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,539 Standard Supporter

The Cinnci defense was tuffer on Bama than Georgia

If Bama plays shitty offense like last night the DAWGS will win

Objectively on paper Georgia is better. On the field they weren't. Nice to get a second chance

Not really. Bama was running all over Cincy and Cincy couldn’t move the ball. They didn’t have to throw it downfield and score.
    Yeah I'm sure the game plan was to score almost a season low in the CFP semi.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,736 Founders Club
    The coaches lose their gravy train when the golden goose is cooked

No one wins including networks and media. What would NFL rights be worth without college ball and Thursday to Monday to fill up with games?

I'll keep reminding everyone colleges don't have to do this

Unions or employees or payrolls isn't happening. There's nothing in it for the school.

Many fine institutions already hate football. I'm a fan of one of them

• AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,106 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Igjt now the problem is there are only three games anyone cares about, and the first two of those generally have a known outcome.. There's no reason to think that bowls plus one would help at all. There would still only be one meaningful game. The bowls would still be a joke and opt outs would continue.

There is no way to make NYD great again unless the teams think they have something to play for. Pretty flowers, parades, etc aren't going to do it.

If you wanna make kids want to play in Bowl games again, make the payout 60/40 with the winning team getting the 60 and the additional portion of that goes to the players.

Also make the kids scholarship money broken into 14 sections (or however many games are on the schedule plus bowl) and if kids portal or sit out prior to the end of the agreed contract, ie the full season plus bowl, they pay back however much they didn’t earn.

Kids want to get treated like adults, let them be treated like adults.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,542 Swaye's Wigwam
    Alexis said:

chuck said:

Igjt now the problem is there are only three games anyone cares about, and the first two of those generally have a known outcome.. There's no reason to think that bowls plus one would help at all. There would still only be one meaningful game. The bowls would still be a joke and opt outs would continue.

There is no way to make NYD great again unless the teams think they have something to play for. Pretty flowers, parades, etc aren't going to do it.

If you wanna make kids want to play in Bowl games again, make the payout 60/40 with the winning team getting the 60 and the additional portion of that goes to the players.

Also make the kids scholarship money broken into 14 sections (or however many games are on the schedule plus bowl) and if kids portal or sit out prior to the end of the agreed contract, ie the full season plus bowl, they pay back however much they didn’t earn.

Kids want to get treated like adults, let them be treated like adults.
    I like the attitude, but this is unworkable without discriminating against injured players. Make it fair to the injured, and every player who wants to sit out would just be "injured."

Football would sorta become soccer...

No one wins including networks and media. What would NFL rights be worth without college ball and Thursday to Monday to fill up with games?

Unions or employees or payrolls isn't happening. There's nothing in it for the school.

Paying coaches 10mm per annum has nothing in it for the school, but they do it because FB and MBB buoy the non revenue sports. They'll administer player salaries if that's the adaptation it takes to keep this pig alive. At this point, the pig probably needs to die, but it will be kept shambling along as long as possible.
    Emoterman said:

Paying coaches 10mm per annum has nothing in it for the school, but they do it because FB and MBB buoy the non revenue sports. They'll administer player salaries if that's the adaptation it takes to keep this pig alive. At this point, the pig probably needs to die, but it will be kept shambling along as long as possible.
    Players as employees brings in labor and industry and a lifetime of insurance payouts and a liability

If colleges can fund sports no one will pay to watch by having a great football team they will

If they can't they won't and no one will miss volleyball

I don't care if players get paid I'm just convinced they won't

Legally that is

I still watch the teams that try and enjoy it while I can

Emoterman said:

Players as employees brings in labor and industry and a lifetime of insurance payouts and a liability

If colleges can fund sports no one will pay to watch by having a great football team they will

Legally that is

The administration will miss volleyball, as sports are long codified as part of the university's mission in the maturation of young adults.

I'm sure the payouts can be tabbed the same as cash stipends are currently, no further liability. For a time at least.

This thing truly is dead, glad I got my Seahawks tickets. 😬
    Emoterman said:

Emoterman said:

Legally that is

The administration will miss volleyball, as sports are long codified as part of the university's mission in the maturation of young adults.

I'm sure the payouts can be tabbed the same as cash stipends are currently, no further liability. For a time at least.

This thing truly is dead, glad I got my Seahawks tickets. 😬
    College sports would be club sports if colleges didn't need football to survive the depression

So it is ingrained to be sure

But things change

I think NIL is the last hope to keep it alive. Not sure why so many here hate it.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,586 Swaye's Wigwam
    How much Whitman College swag is out there?

There's way too many reasons for schools to keep doing this, even with NIL.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,723
    AEB said:

Emoterman said:

Plus one and be done

Private boosters fuel a lot of it. How much dead buyout money comes from boosters pockets? It's not just official school revenue.
    NIL is just rich get richer, that's why it sucks. Texas boosters are paying scholarship OL $50k a year. There should be a revenue sharing process from ticket sales, television contracts, NIL shit like jerseys and video games, etc, but the current NIL deal alone is just just a cop out making shit worse.
    dtd said:

NIL is just rich get richer, that's why it sucks. Texas boosters are paying scholarship OL $50k a year. There should be a revenue sharing process from ticket sales, television contracts, NIL shit like jerseys and video games, etc, but the current NIL deal alone is just just a cop out making shit worse.

You could have a college salary cap and Joe Bob is still going to pay more to get Billy Bob to Texas

Just embrace cheating. Its worked for 150 years

dtd said:

You could have a college salary cap and Joe Bob is still going to pay more to get Billy Bob to Texas

Just embrace cheating. Its worked for 150 years
    This is like the NBA refusing to pay players because they can get endorsements. Anything and everything to keep paying Mark Emmert 3 million a year. The NCAA will kick this can as slowly as possible to avoid having to shell anything out themselves.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

The fans make it what it is. As long as fans want it, it will exist.

The unlimited portal is rertarded because it fucks with the fans who are the lifeblood.

Regional game, built on regional passions. When players stop sharing that it's a fuck you to the fan.

Pride for the institution is paramount. Constraints on the players are essential.

Your last sentence nails it. Too many pro-player idiots have a backwards view of the value proposition that college football brings.

It is not and never has been about the players. Prioritize them and the "get what's yours" mentality, and you have a sport that is slowly eroding. And as a result the next generation of player won't get anything.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,723
    AEB said:

Emoterman said:

Plus one and be done

Players may strike at individual institutions but nationally, unless they have uniform national representation, they won't.

Keep in mind that the best-compensated players will be in anti-labor red states, fat and happy, they won't rock the boat.