Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Ranking the coaching hires -- How will it play out?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,658 Founders Club
When we look back in 3-4 years, who will we think was the best hire?

Ranking the coaching hires -- How will it play out? 48 votes

1. Riley, USC 2. Deboner, UW 3. Lanning, Oregon 4. Dickert, Cuog
41%
SwayeMad_SonCuntWaffledtdYouKnowItalumni94TheHBStinky_HankeyfivehundredmileDAWGTequillawhatshouldicareaboutKimsCopperPennyhuskyhooliganSourcesQuietcowskeeNEsnake12Tripper_JohnsonNorwegianHuskytheLSkidBCoveysLifeInsPolicy 20 votes
1. Riley, USC 2. Lanning, Oregon 3. Deboner, UW 4. Dickert, Cuog
35%
CFetters_Nacho_LoverHouhuskyPurpleBazehoneybadger40greenblooddOgmasterntxduckEwaDawgEl_KFireCohenRDRBeno4LifeEmotermanOreDawgTheRoarOfTheCrowd46XiJCABGaearGrimsrud 17 votes
1. Deboner, UW 2. Riley, USC 3. Lanning, Oregon 4. Dickert, Cuog
12%
AtomicDawgDoogleshaiedannarcAOGPasadenaHuskyFan 6 votes
1. Deboner, UW 2. Lanning, Oregon 3. Riley, USC 4. Dickert, Cuog
0%
1. Lanning, Oregon 2. Riley, USC 3. Deboner, UW 4. Dickert, Cuog
10%
DerekJohnsonwhlinderCarlosDanger1to392831weretakenStLouisDawg 5 votes
1. Lanning, Oregon 2. Deboner, UW 3. Riley, USC, 4. Dicket, Cuog
0%

Comments

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter
    Because I want it to happen I voted.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499

Deboner sucks until he doesn't

Riley is the only one that doesn't qualify as "sucks until he doesn't"
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,630 Standard Supporter
    The fact that two programs care and 1 doesn't is the bigger issue. It will play out this way regardless of who each one hired.
  • PasadenaHuskyFanPasadenaHuskyFan Member Posts: 611
    Riley hasn’t proven yet that he can rebuild a program currently in the dumps. Lanning will have a pretty steep learning curve. Going with DeBoer
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,796 Founders Club
    edited December 2021
    Yes, I had to edit this, because my joke was a big THUD!

Anyway, I'm voting Lanning ahead of DeBoner because of Oregon's momentum with their success and all the other advantages they have over UW.

Will be interesting to see if DeBoner can get UW past its never-ending mediocrity.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,719 Swaye's Wigwam
    Riley is a clear 1 given he's won conference titles at a P5 school.

DeBoer and Lanning are unknowns, but I feel more certainty around where DeBoer fits in the hierarchy of Pac-12 coaches versus Lanning. Lanning just hired an OC from Florida State that managed to score 17 on Jacksonville St, so he's in Hamdan territory until he isn't.

Dickert is probably 3rd in the North given that Shaw has lost his touch since 2019
  • PasadenaHuskyFanPasadenaHuskyFan Member Posts: 611
    Dickert is the first WSU coach in a long time that doesn’t appear to be a complete clown.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Dickert made a good hire at OC. The guy lit it up in the FCS.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,576 Swaye's Wigwam
    Riley was the most volatile hire. He's yet to field a good defense in his career, yet he brought Grinch over with him. His teams also tend to drop one or two to far inferior talent every year. I could also see his personal life explode in LA. Gives me Freshwater/Sark vibes. He'll have pretty much unlimited talent to work with, but he's had nearly that at Oklahoma every year and never broke through.

Oregon's is the lowest risk hire because things always work out for Oregon either way. Unlike USC, they have the money to handle their hire shitting the bed. And even if he does, some team down south will probably buy him away from them just to be nice. Lanning will have a almost as much to work with as Riley but without the pressure.

I would bet DeBoner is the best coach of the three. The Pain Simulation suggests that'll matter fuckall, and this is going to get ugly.
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,596 Founders Club
    My predictions suck
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter

Dickert made a good hire at OC. The guy lit it up in the FCS.

Beau Baldwin 2.0
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,868 Founders Club

Riley was the most volatile hire. He's yet to field a good defense in his career, yet he brought Grinch over with him. His teams also tend to drop one or two to far inferior talent every year. I could also see his personal life explode in LA. Gives me Freshwater/Sark vibes. He'll have pretty much unlimited talent to work with, but he's had nearly that at Oklahoma every year and never broke through.

Oregon's is the lowest risk hire because things always work out for Oregon either way. Unlike USC, they have the money to handle their hire shitting the bed. And even if he does, some team down south will probably buy him away from them just to be nice. Lanning will have a almost as much to work with as Riley but without the pressure.

I would bet DeBoner is the best coach of the three. The Pain Simulation suggests that'll matter fuckall, and this is going to get ugly.

The Oklahoma defense was so bad that Grinch was welcomed as a savior.

That's bad
  • GaearGrimsrudGaearGrimsrud Member Posts: 82
    When he beats Oregon I'll get a sweatpants DeBoner and revist pole
  • 1. Riley, USC 2. Deboner, UW 3. Lanning, Oregon 4. Dickert, Cuog
    Riley’s a proven commodity at a high level. Is he necessarily going to produce playoff teams at USC every year? Probably not. But he’s head-coached at a P5 top-10 program and knows what it takes.

DeBoner’s head coach record is solid; just need to see if that will translate at the next higher level. Decently high ceiling, and not a super low floor.

Lanning is a big ?. He could be the next Smart, but he could be another Wilcox or worse, Lake. History would suggest the odds favor the latter outcome, or mediocrity.

I’d put Dickert ahead of Lanning. He’s gotten his people to play solidly so far. Now we just have to see if that was an anomaly, and the cuog return to their cuoging ways.

Also, no Janet Reno, or FYFMFE for options?
  • BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    My $ is on Riley bombing out. He isn't taking over Bob's well oiled machine. SC is a dumpster fire right now.

We'll see how good of a coach Riley is