Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Query for Oregon fans

13»

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,384 Founders Club

Had Wilcox actually been offered, that would have been extremely embarrassing. But he wasn't. I find it funny people actually think he was.

• dtddtd Member Posts: 4,502 Standard Supporter
    The only people who care are in this thread.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 6,215

Had Wilcox actually been offered, that would have been extremely embarrassing. But he wasn't. I find it funny people actually think he was.

You're one of our better ducks here, but this is a pitiful quook moment of denial for you.

Canzano reported, and ESPN's Bonagura independently confirmed his report that Wilcox was offered the job. As much as you all loathe Canzano, there's nothing to indicate that this report is anything but fact. Learn it, love it, live it.

Cal > Oregon. Evan Weaver and Justin Wilcox have spoken.
    I'm going with the fact that they ran a poll during the search and 73% of Duck fans responded that a Wilcox hire would either be bad or horrible. So it makes zero since why the news of the offer unless it was thrown out there to smooth over the few of the elites that actually wanted him. There wasn't one person I knew that even would have been "ok" with the hire. In fact I know of 6 families that would have turned in their season tickets had he been hired. Ticket sales would have plummeted year one, before a game were even played if Wilcox was named head coach. If Wilcox turned it down, Oregon dodged a major bullet. And if he was in fact offered, then Oregon needs a new AD.

It doesn't make sense, because last week, when talking to members of the athletic department that I work out with, they said Wilcox wasn't seriously being considered. That's what makes this really confusing, and why I was so confident last week in him not even being a possibility. But it also explains the letter Joey five picks sent out. It was originally sent last week, probably because he found out that Wilcox wasn't being seriously considered. Either way, something seems fishy about all of it.

I personally don't think there was an offer. One side is spinning, and I originally thought it was on Wilcox's side. But it makes perfect sense for Oregon leaking this smoke, just to appease some big donors, into thinking Oregon "tried to get Wilcox". Wilcox would have no reason to refute it, because this getting out makes him look really good.

But in the end, Oregon dodged a major bullet.
    Lol. So you don't believe it because "there's no way our AD could be so stupid".

I would've thought your proximity to our last three decades of bumbling incompetence would've allowed you to see just how stupid ADs can be, but kudos to you for being treated to actual competence for so long that you still #trusttheprocess.

But I'm with you - hiring Wilcox would've been a massive mistake and I have no trouble believing that a lot of fans would've jumped ship. I certainly would've preferred you hired a proven mediocre commodity like Wilcox instead of a potential winner like Lanning. That said, unless some new reporting comes out that says Canzano and Bonagura were both wrong or that there was some level of intentional misdirection from their sources in the Oregon AD, you look like an idiot denying this news.
    I stand by it. And it wouldn't be the first time I looked like an idiot. Sometimes I wear idiotism as a badge of honor.

This is why I almost left when Chip rumors were coming out, because I heard that that was an actual possibility. Wilcox was so left field compared to the rumblings, it just made zero sense. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But the conclusion doesn't connect anywhere with the story. Sometimes you watch a movie, and are like "wtf" at the end. This could be that kind of movie. It would almost have to be that, because the storyline and the direction things went from within do not rationally lead to this conclusion.
    He was offered, but with conditions they knew he wouldn't accept to appease Akili et all
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Oregon offered Justin Wilcox the job and he turned it down to stay in Berkeley for less money, but it was worth it to stay in a place with a superior football culture. The only way we’ll know for sure is when someone goes to Africa and sees the t-shirts along with other donated beauties like 2010 or 2014 Natty t-shirts.

Also, is Wilcox gay? I don’t know, and I don’t care who he rams beyond the ram-ifications of it hurting our(?) SEC persona where they prefer the more holesome types, like Hugh Freeze and Joey Freshwater. I just have to wonder why he likes Berkeley so much. And why does he lick his lips like that? Did he take extacy, the gayest of the drugs? Was he thinking about male genitalia? These are questions worth asking when Joey Harrington throws his weight around instead of five picks. I figure if he is then odds are good someone here ran into him at a gloryhole back when he was at UW.

Wilcox is a bachelor, which is fine at his age: maybe he prefers strange without the effort to hide it, or is too lazy to get a beard. I prefer more of a go-getter, but I can respect the first one. He’s hired an assistant that does have a beard but is almost certainly gay if the rumors are true.

Pretty sure meth is the gayest drug, but I could be wrong.
    The difference is minimal enough that they're equally gay.
    Since ecstasy mostly comes in the form of little candies, I think it surpasses meth on the scale.
    So ecstasy is for the soft, fruity gays while meth is for the tuff, prison type. Think Rick Neuheisel vs Pat Hill, to put it in more of a football context.

I can see I'm on the main board but I don't remember what thread. Was it about gays and drugs or was it about Pat Hill?
    Saying one surpasses the other doesn’t make the other tuff.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 6,215
    As to Chip, he likes LA... no pressure compared to Eugene... he also probably would have been required to change things up and said no to that part as well.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,707 Founders Club
    Goduckies said:

As to Chip, he likes West Hollywood...

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Oregon offered Justin Wilcox the job and he turned it down to stay in Berkeley for less money, but it was worth it to stay in a place with a superior football culture. The only way we’ll know for sure is when someone goes to Africa and sees the t-shirts along with other donated beauties like 2010 or 2014 Natty t-shirts.

Also, is Wilcox gay? I don’t know, and I don’t care who he rams beyond the ram-ifications of it hurting our(?) SEC persona where they prefer the more holesome types, like Hugh Freeze and Joey Freshwater. I just have to wonder why he likes Berkeley so much. And why does he lick his lips like that? Did he take extacy, the gayest of the drugs? Was he thinking about male genitalia? These are questions worth asking when Joey Harrington throws his weight around instead of five picks. I figure if he is then odds are good someone here ran into him at a gloryhole back when he was at UW.

Wilcox is a bachelor, which is fine at his age: maybe he prefers strange without the effort to hide it, or is too lazy to get a beard. I prefer more of a go-getter, but I can respect the first one. He’s hired an assistant that does have a beard but is almost certainly gay if the rumors are true.

WTF?

• RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557

WTF?
    I thought it was a perfectly cromulent question.

Why is he afraid to be closer to home? Too small of a town to hide his lifestyle? Scared to disappoint NFL HoF dad? Has he slept his way to the top? Other than Jon Wilner who else is he involved in an affair with?

You have to know these things when making a big time hire. There’s a lot of fans in this conference who wish their AD knew that their previous coach was an alcoholic, or a snake, or had his paychecks made out to JLake Enterprises, or a sentient potato before committing millions of dollars and the future of their program.

Dan Wolken has been caught colluding with ADs to spread propaganda before. I saved this last year because I thought there was a good chance this would happen.
    Confession: I thought Wilcox would be a great hire, probably better than Lanning.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

Dan Wolken has been caught colluding with ADs to spread propaganda before. I saved this last year because I thought there was a good chance this would happen.
    Confession: I thought Wilcox would be a great hire, probably better than Lanning.

If you think Wilcox would have been a "great" hire, I can't help you.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam

Chip was never offered and Wilcox wad only offered with conditions it was known would be turned down as he doesn't put in the effort that is required to be a top guy.Also the lane train blew up before leaving the station as Phil didn't want him and you have to trust a billionaire on that one.but lane did want the job.

If you think Wilcox would have been a "great" hire, I can't help you.
    No offense meant, but the day I need “help” from “you” I might as well chemically castrate myself, then physically chop my balls off, then replace them with truck nutz in lieu of a prothesis, and chop those off.
  • MobeyB4AssholesMobeyB4Assholes Member Posts: 936
    Boy Duck fans sure work hard to convince themselves how their coaching search went.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    I don’t really give a fuck, personally. Occam’s razor tells me that we? never offered Wilcocks the job. And if we? did? Mullens is a fucking moron (but he isn’t) and deserves to be fired (but he doesn’t).

If Dan Tanna sucks we’ll fire him and Mullens will have his life force sucked from his body to nourish Phil Knight’s wraith.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Worst thread in weeks. NOGAF. Take it to the duck board.