Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Stupid move by Miami

Comments

• MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,624
    edited December 2021

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

You do have to admit that 10 year contract will be an absolute albatross if he doesn't pan out. I think he will do okay there. Good not great. Probably win a big bowl in there somewhere.
    I admit no such thing.

Fug it. If he doesn't work out, the people who are paying for this eat it. Next guy up.

With a QB, and he has a good one waiting, I think he'll do well.
    I like your young FR QB. When Manny was forced to go to him it was rough for a couple of games but the kid looks very talented. Too bad for you MC will use him as effectively as he did the future HOF now leading the Chargers. The guy that just reached 700 completions fastest than and QB in NFL history. Enjoy your 3 yard bursts up the middle. Tuff SEC style!
    I get what MC was trying to do at Oregon. Sure, arguably a little too much, but he'd what works at previous stops and wanted to create that with the Ducks. This year, it's pretty clear why he stuck to the run, and it did give you 10 wins. And of course people are remembering Herbert with rose colored glasses now that he's tearing it up in the NFL. In college, he was good, but he was not "take over a game" good, and sure, part of that was his receiving corp., with dummy running off the only guy who could consistently beat people. But Herbert at Oregon was not like Mariota at Oregon. You needed more to win. After his colorbone at ASU, the collective wisdom was that you didn't want to try to use him like Mariota, and he's not that kind of game breaker anyway. His runs were set-up runs.

Anyway, he was good in college, but not great. Much more went into that RB win than just Herbert. The guy was far from a one-man team.
    The offensive line was actually good, for one.

Allowing Herbert to run starting with Utah changed the whole season. This is inarguable. They looked just as inept and unimaginative as they do know most of the rest of that season.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    edited December 2021
    This year is why fans like myself are not sad to see MC go. Great recruiter, Oregon will never have another one like him but his QB handling is D level stuff. He had two years of JH. When JH was a FR/Soph he was stretching the field. That stopped with MC. He became a game manager with generational arm talent that his HC didn't want to deploy. Who the F does that?

Any HC that looked at AB film from BC and said that's my guy, needs to be questioned. This year should have been taking your lumps with TT and getting ready for 2022. So you don't win 10 games and get to the F'n alamo bowl. Where's the loss?
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,861
    The creep is back?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,072 Founders Club

46XiJCAB said:

Swaye said:

You do have to admit that 10 year contract will be an absolute albatross if he doesn't pan out. I think he will do okay there. Good not great. Probably win a big bowl in there somewhere.
    I admit no such thing.

Fug it. If he doesn't work out, the people who are paying for this eat it. Next guy up.

With a QB, and he has a good one waiting, I think he'll do well.
    I like your young FR QB. When Manny was forced to go to him it was rough for a couple of games but the kid looks very talented. Too bad for you MC will use him as effectively as he did the future HOF now leading the Chargers. The guy that just reached 700 completions fastest than and QB in NFL history. Enjoy your 3 yard bursts up the middle. Tuff SEC style!
    I get what MC was trying to do at Oregon. Sure, arguably a little too much, but he'd what works at previous stops and wanted to create that with the Ducks. This year, it's pretty clear why he stuck to the run, and it did give you 10 wins. And of course people are remembering Herbert with rose colored glasses now that he's tearing it up in the NFL. In college, he was good, but he was not "take over a game" good, and sure, part of that was his receiving corp., with dummy running off the only guy who could consistently beat people. But Herbert at Oregon was not like Mariota at Oregon. You needed more to win. After his colorbone at ASU, the collective wisdom was that you didn't want to try to use him like Mariota, and he's not that kind of game breaker anyway. His runs were set-up runs.

Anyway, he was good in college, but not great. Much more went into that RB win than just Herbert. The guy was far from a one-man team.
    My Bolts !!
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,539 Standard Supporter
    edited December 2021
    Oregon has lost 6(soon to be 7) games since Herbert left.

3 were blowouts, the don't win a single time if they play 10 times type of games.

The other 3 are to 2-5 OS, 1-3 CAL, and 3-9 Stanford.

You don't need to be wide awake to see the problem.
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,953 Founders Club
    AOG said:

AOG said:

Both the fired coach and the new one appear about the same. The real reason Crystall-Balls was hired: he an ALUM.

That's right, the reason for this is the hire-the-alum fallacy, that somehow an alum will improve the situation. This is even dumber than hiring the assistant with no HC experience. I predict fired in two seasons

Chinned.

If he wasn’t an alumni they wouldnt even know his name.

People think that being an alumnus* (see below) bestows magical properties on the coach. It goes on all the time. WSU had Wulff. Remember that fuck up? Neuheisel at UCLA, Charlie Weis at Notre Dame. Don't get me started.

The best example right now is Frost. Despite being a hopeless failure they extended!

* For an individual graduate, an alumnus is a single male, an alumna is a single female, and an alum is the gender neutral term. For the plurals, alumni refers to multiple male or gender neutral graduates, alumnae is for multiple female grads, and alums is the gender neutral plural. These terms are often used loosely and their strict definitions are in flux.
    Um, Lambright. Us UW fans learned that lesson.

Though that than can work fine too. Coach Mullet for the Okie Pokies for example, or Fat Phil at Tennessee, or Abscess Beamer at Virginia Tech, or Bear Bryant at Bama....
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,731

AOG said:

AOG said:

Both the fired coach and the new one appear about the same. The real reason Crystall-Balls was hired: he an ALUM.

That's right, the reason for this is the hire-the-alum fallacy, that somehow an alum will improve the situation. This is even dumber than hiring the assistant with no HC experience. I predict fired in two seasons

Chinned.

People think that being an alumnus* (see below) bestows magical properties on the coach. It goes on all the time. WSU had Wulff. Remember that fuck up? Neuheisel at UCLA, Charlie Weis at Notre Dame. Don't get me started.

The best example right now is Frost. Despite being a hopeless failure they extended!

* For an individual graduate, an alumnus is a single male, an alumna is a single female, and an alum is the gender neutral term. For the plurals, alumni refers to multiple male or gender neutral graduates, alumnae is for multiple female grads, and alums is the gender neutral plural. These terms are often used loosely and their strict definitions are in flux.

Though that than can work fine too. Coach Mullet for the Okie Pokies for example, or Fat Phil at Tennessee, or Abscess Beamer at Virginia Tech, or Bear Bryant at Bama....
    sure it could work, it's just not likely

• dtddtd Member Posts: 4,539 Standard Supporter
    edited December 2021
    AOG said:

AOG said:

AOG said:

Chinned.

sure it could work, it's just not likely

In fact, has nothing to do with being likely, which is the (your) fucking point.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,118 Founders Club

AOG said:

Chinned.

If he wasn’t an alumni alumnus they wouldnt even know his name.

I know you don't care, but FTFY.
    Prowess.

• pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,118 Founders Club

AEB said:

dtd said:

Miami just paid Oregon $9,000,000 for meat.

Insane.

Miami paid another 8mm to Diaz to go DIAFF.

Insaner.
    Offing a coach with 8mm is everything that's wrong with college football.
    Minimally one should use 9mm hollow-point.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,010
    edited December 2021
    46XiJCAB said:

This year is why fans like myself are not sad to see MC go. Great recruiter, Oregon will never have another one like him but his QB handling is D level stuff. He had two years of JH. When JH was a FR/Soph he was stretching the field. That stopped with MC. He became a game manager with generational arm talent that his HC didn't want to deploy. Who the F does that?

Any HC that looked at AB film from BC and said that's my guy, needs to be questioned. This year should have been taking your lumps with TT and getting ready for 2022. So you don't win 10 games and get to the F'n alamo bowl. Where's the loss?

I'll say it again: we? are all remembering Oregon Herbert a little more fondly than the reality would justify. If need be, I'll make like Grumble and go back in the time machine and find all the Duck (and Dwag) posters shitting on Herbert for inaccuracy and lacking leadership qualities. If you were talking about a coach reducing Mariota's role in the offense, then you'd have a point.

The other thing you and others are misremembering is the decision-making around not running Herbert during the balance of 2019 after the shoulder injury the previous season. The view by many then was that they added the Herbert run when needed against Utah and again against Wisconsin. A lot of people thought it was smart to not run the kid all season long. He's a big target and takes big hits.

In all seriousness, I'm not going to defend MC's coaching decisions point by point. There's no question the guy is a work in progress; but it appears to me that you and your friends are glossing over what he brought to the table besides recruiting. Maybe you'll get somebody better, but the guy won you a Rose Bowl, beat Washington 3x, and added a program-significant season victory. From the dumpster fire that he walked into - a program in complete shambles - I'd say he did well there.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967

46XiJCAB said:

I'll say it again: we? are all remembering Oregon Herbert a little more fondly than the reality would justify. If need be, I'll make like Grumble and go back in the time machine and find all the Duck (and Dwag) posters shitting on Herbert for inaccuracy and lacking leadership qualities. If you were talking about a coach reducing Mariota's role in the offense, then you'd have a point.

The other thing you and others are misremembering is the decision-making around not running Herbert during the balance of 2019 after the shoulder injury the previous season. The view by many then was that they added the Herbert run when needed against Utah and again against Wisconsin. A lot of people thought it was smart to not run the kid all season long. He's a big target and takes big hits.

In all seriousness, I'm not going to defend MC's coaching decisions point by point. There's no question the guy is a work in progress; but it appears to me that you and your friends are glossing over what he brought to the table besides recruiting. Maybe you'll get somebody better, but the guy won you a Rose Bowl, beat Washington 3x, and added a program-significant season victory. From the dumpster fire that he walked into - a program in complete shambles - I'd say he did well there.
    The media landscape is littered with “football people” questioning what the heck was Oregon doing that didn’t show people what they had in JH. It’s not just an Oregon fan thing.
  • MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,624

46XiJCAB said:

You’re putting a lot of words into peoples mouths that nobody is saying.

I’ll leave it at that because this has gotten boring as fuck.

You got your guy. Good luck.

We’ll see who was right.
  • RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 826 Founders Club

46XiJCAB said:

Pro Herbert>College Herbert

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,603 Swaye's Wigwam

Meat will make Miami relevant again. Even if they peak at 9 - 10 wins the cupboards will be full for the next big hire if Miami has it in them.

ACC is worse than the Pac 12. Those Clemson teams were great but they had an advantage in that they didn't have to gameplan until the playoffs.

Mario (he's Mario now since he left Oregon) can dominate that conference as long as he doesn't completely fuck up assistant hires.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,603 Swaye's Wigwam

AOG said:

AOG said:

Chinned.

YBE
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,731

AOG said:

AOG said:

Chinned.

He's 16-27