Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Your initial reaction to every HFC hiring since you've followed the DAWGS?

Geevis_and_ButtheadGeevis_and_Butthead Member Posts: 992
edited November 2021 in Hardcore Husky Board
Best I can remember:

Don James, 1974: "Dad, who is he?"

Jim Lambright, 1993: "Alright! Lambo is gonna win us some more Rose Bowls"

Rick Neuheisel, 1999: "That cocky guitar-playing asshole?! Well ... he does seem to be a helluva recruiter and a pretty decent coach"

Keith Gilbertson, 2003: Gilby? I know it's an emergency and time is running short, but jeezus can't they find somebody better?"

Tyrone Gilbertson, 2004: "Fuck!! GotDAMMIT!!

Steve Sarkisian, 2008: "Man, I guess we're never gonna get Jim Mora Jr. Sarkisian is alright, I guess. At least it's not a washed-up Pat Hill."

Chris Petersen, 2013:"HOLY SHIT. Jen Cohen didn't hit a home run; she hit a GRAND SLAM."

Jimmy Lake, 2019: "This seems pretty intriguing. Looking forward to seeing what he can do."

Kalen DeBoer, 2021: "This seems pretty intriguing. Looking forward to seeing what he can do."

Comments

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Neu and Ty I didn't really follow/care as much as I was in middle school/early high school and cared about other shit

Sark I barked because I was a fucking stupid young college shithead and fell for the hype. I am still fucking stupid just not young anymore.

Petersen was a dream hire and I doubt I will be as optimistic about another coaching hire again

Lake I was happy because I thought it would be a continuation of the solid foundation that Pete built but with more edge. Oops!

Deboer I am indifferent and LIPO. Some things I like and some things I don't. Following college football closely now for a decade you realize the crap shoot coaching hires are.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,316
    Ed Donatell 2008: he’s going to fix our defense and our offense… and our recruiting problems!
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter
    Lambright- well he can’t mess this up right?
    Neuheisel- he will be pretty good!
    Gilby- I thought we’d be tough for a year or two
    Willingham- sucks but he should win 8 games
    Sark- whatever we are fat and ugly at closing time
    Pete- fuck yeah bitches
    Lake- He will be good for a few years and suck or leave first
    DeBoer- he will win the north at least once in the first 3 years.

• HuskyHalfBrainHuskyHalfBrain Member Posts: 1,289
    Poolboy was the AD at the time of Petersen hiring.

Really the only time I actually thought Washington had a chance to win big again.

Meanwhile continued to mock Poolboy with blindsquirrel.gif
  • HuskyHalfBrainHuskyHalfBrain Member Posts: 1,289
    His first time out in December 2008, not many people wanted the job. The Huskies had gone 0–11 in Tyrone Willingham’s final season, and Woodward considered it a victory to get USC offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian. When USC poached Sarkisian following the firing of Lane Kiffin in 2013, Woodward had a list of standard candidates. There was Jim Mora Jr., a Washington alumnus who had gone 19–8 in his first two seasons at UCLA. There was Justin Wilcox, an up-and-comer who had served as Washington’s defensive coordinator under Sarkisian. But as Woodward considered these names, he got a call from Bennett Speyer, who represented Chris Petersen. Petersen had decided the timing was right to leave Boise State, and Washington fit what he sought in a Power 5 job.

Woodward’s response: “WHAT?” His next thought? “Let’s get it done,” Woodward says. “It literally went down that fast.”

https://footballscoop.com/news/story-chris-petersen-got-washington-job-great
  • HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,034
    Lambo: thought he'd be good after the sanctions wore off.

Slick: Expected good things, last time I had season tix.

Gilby: Hated the hire.

Ty: Stopped following the team.

Sark: Started paying attention again.

Pete: Glad my buddy still had season tickets.

Lake: If our D stays great and we can just improve our O by 33% over Hamden things will be good.

DeBoer: Maybe we'll finally see great QB play again.
  • coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,218
    edited November 2021

But I’m from the Ty / Sark generation
  • Geevis_and_ButtheadGeevis_and_Butthead Member Posts: 992
    edited November 2021

Poolboy was the AD at the time of Petersen hiring.

Yeah, I know it was Woody's hire.

But Ken's version where Jen gets the credit is more fun.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam
    Don James: I don't know I was 3.

Lambo: I was non plussed. I didn't think he had the personality or presence to be the face of a top 5 program.

Neu: I was pretty damn impressed and thought it was a huge, swinging dick move.

Gilby: I think I was in "is what it is" mode.

Ty: I stayed out of that one. I was lipo until 2007 though. Sad.

Sark: I was shocked and pissed

Petersen: shocked and thrilled

Lake: I was not impressed or pleased. I actually wouldn't remember but someone bumped a thread recently from when he was hired. I was happy to see that I was on the right side from the start.

DeBoer: he was my favorite all along. He's exactly the kind of coach I've been screaming for UW to hire since RN was fired. If they're not willing or able to pull what SC just did then everyone else is an unknown and a risk. This is the right kind of risk to take.
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,967 Founders Club
    Lambright - :(
    Neuheisel - :# for a day. Then he brought back the gold helmets and hired Gilby and I was :)
    Gilbertsen - :(
    Willingham - :#:'(:s
    Seven - :*
    Petersen - <3
    Lake - :/
    DeBoer - :|
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam
    Loved Neuheisel, like DeBoner. (Har har)

Everyone else was meh.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,630 Standard Supporter
    Neuheisel was the biggest hiring coup at the time. Head coach of a power team (10 years off a natty!), won some games. None of our hires have been that level since. Petermen, since he had won a major bowl and had a ridiculous winning %, is probably right there, but he hired himself. He wasn't stolen like Babs stealing Rick. Babs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cohen
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam
    lolz, I skipped right over Peterman. Yeah, I blew my wad over that one. Probably as excited about the future of UW football as I've ever been -- even moreso than when RN was hired.

Depressing to look back eight years and think about what's actually happened vs. expectations. It's no wonder I'm attracted to this place and keep coming back every couple years.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    JFC some of you are old.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,649 Founders Club
    edited November 2021
    Don James: I don't know, I was 4.

Lambo: I was naively hopeful at first, hoping that we could keep this thing going. I saw cracks in the armor soon after.

Neu: I was thrilled and over the moon. Totally bought the "Florida State of the West" narrative. Became publicly critical in 2002.

Gilby: I was rationalizing like crazy and publicly supportive.

Ty: I was disillusioned and tried to rationalized. Began criticizing him publicly in 2006.

Sark: I was disappointed and suspicious. It didn't take long to see cracks in the armor and hear stuff from players. Was publicly critical by late 2009 or early 2010.

Petersen: Shocked and excited.

Lake: Disappointed that we didn't conduct a search, but assumed he'd be a powerful recruiter and wanted to give him a chance. Started seeing cracks in the armor immediately.

DeBoer: Of all the candidates that were discussed, he became my favorite. I agree that he seems like the type of coach WSU or OSU would hire and not UW, historically. But that UW doesn't exist anymore. 90% of me is hoping he'll be a breath of fresh air and we can reestablish our dominance in the Pac-12 North and have fun watching UW football again. The other 10% of me hopes he flames out and Cohen can finally be replaced so she can return to her rightful place on the set of Housewives of New Jersey.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,363 Swaye's Wigwam
    46 years old and we’ve had 2 coaching hires that got people excited.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,865 Founders Club
    DeBoer - the Mountain West Country Club of Petersen's dreams is here

Petersen - Hawkins Koetter or ????

Sark - BARK

Ty - sick to my stomach

Gilby - dumb fucking move of all the dumb fucking moves

Rick - that was then this is now. Big Balls Babs who quickly shrank like a cold dip in the pool

Lambo - No. Just no

James - after a decade of my dad daily saying that Owens need to be fired I was a bit taken aback when he retired. The only Husky coach I had known. I liked James because I had some players in a class when DJ showed up and they said he was killing them.

If DeBoer doesn't send half the roster of soft fucking losers packing then he isn't the guy
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,861
    Sark: Who?
    Pete: Holy fuck...
    Jimmy: Please don’t fuck it up, he’s pete that can recruit
    Deboer: well you saw my reaction on the boards
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,108 Swaye's Wigwam
    James. Was too young. Don't remember

Lambo. I tried to make excuses for him. Gave him alot of rope. My dad (#1 of 2) hated him. We argued all the tim. I finally turned on him when he lost to RN in 96 bowel game.

RN. Favorite hire by far. Still think he got a raw deal. Last coach we had that had any idea how to actually coach in game. Had warts but felt he was adaptable enough to get through it if he would have had a chance.

Gilby. Tried to justify that his 9 win season at Cal may work here but didn't really have any hope. By the time Nevada beat him at Husky stadium, it was way over.

Ty. Hated the hire. Saw enough of him at Stanford to realize he was a total dipshit. He was even more dipshittery than I could have imagined.

Sark. Didn't hate the hire. Liked the kickass presser. Until he stayed at SC for the bowel game and used it as his personal free pub tour. Then he lost me. The win over SC here gave me hope, but became pretty apparent with the Holt defenses that we would never be really good.

Pete. Was really excited, and even though he couldn't actually coach his way out of a wet paper bag (the chart, true?) I can't say I didn't have fun with Husky football from 15-18, But can never forgive him for the Rose Bowl and 2019 give up tour.

Lake. Thought it made sense. Was pretty obvious pretty quickly with his assistant coach hires that he was in over his head.

Deboner. I like the hire. I'm sure he'll suck because I like him, but I have a feeling he knows how to coach. His assistant hires will determine whether I stay on board, like with RN, or whether I bail quickly, like Sark.