Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

As I watch other games from around the nation…

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
edited November 2021 in Hardcore Husky Board
Packed stadiums, wild crowds, no COVID bullshit, I’m just reminded how UW has fucked this up and I don’t think it’s ever coming back. That atmosphere hasn’t consistently existed at UW for a couple of decades and it’s at an all time low.

WeAreARecycelingChampionSchool

Comments

• Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650
    Indeed the detritus that is UW football goes far beyond incompetent coaching and poor HC hiring.
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,964 Founders Club
    You can’t sell as many ads with a rocking atmosphere. Or as much beer.

The alcohol sales in Husky Stadium plus the no re-entry rule was a mega mistake.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam
    If UW football were a house, market comparables would be San Jose State, Georgia Tech and Rice.
  • AlpoAlpo Member Posts: 98
    Build it and they will come.

Personally I think the weak ass defense that we played had something to do with the lack of passion in the stadium. Bend but do t break, keep everything in front of you, don’t penetrate on the DL, rarely blitz, force long drives, fuck all that. I want a defense teams are afraid of and that will energize a crowd.
    TheHB said:

If UW football were a house, market comparables would be San Jose State, Georgia Tech and Rice.

Using the real estate analogy, Washington’s location and physical structure are fine. The problem is the crazy owner who does shitty yard care, decor, and home maintenance.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,621
    Alpo said:

Build it and they will come.

Personally I think the weak ass defense that we played had something to do with the lack of passion in the stadium. Bend but do t break, keep everything in front of you, don’t penetrate on the DL, rarely blitz, force long drives, fuck all that. I want a defense teams are afraid of and that will energize a crowd.

I agree, so sick of that D and dropping 3. Mix it up and make the opposing QB / OC think more, at least in a rivalry game. What I disliked most about this 2021 team is that they played not to lose.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,800
    edited November 2021
    Even when Petersen had it humming we couldn’t sell out the stadium. We had maybe 2 good atmospheres during his tenure (Stanford and Oregon). The 1990s are long long gone.

Willingham killed the culture. And the Seattle area has completely changed since then. Our ability to look like other fan bases is done. Time to make the stadium smaller and pump in the siren noise every down.
    gmo said:

Evolution of Seattle a huge factor.

Other than the shitty traffic, I disagree. If I-5 traffic was like it was 20 years ago and if we still played most of our games at 12:30 pm, the evolution of Seattle would be a benefit, not hindrance for games at Husky Stadium.

For me I-5 traffic and late kickoff times are my least favorite things on game days these recent years.
  • gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,735 Swaye's Wigwam

gmo said:

Evolution of Seattle a huge factor.

Other than the shitty traffic, I disagree. If I-5 traffic was like it was 20 years ago and if we still played most of our games at 12:30 pm, the evolution of Seattle would be a benefit, not hindrance for games at Husky Stadium.

For me I-5 traffic and late kickoff times are my least favorite things on game days these recent years.
    all good, but the demographics of Seattle have changed significantly over the past few decades. I'm not saying it's the only factor, but it's for sure a factor.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited November 2021

Even when I was a kid and we were shitty, the stadium was always rocking, no matter the opponent.

One big mistake the school made was giving rich donors the student section seats at midfield. The atmosphere goes to shit when you give old, rich people the most impactful seats. Kids don't want to watch games from behind an end zone. Dumb as shit.

Look what happened to the Seahawks. They became good... old, rich people bought all the good seats as soon they were marked up, atmosphere lost. They're the type of morons that ask you to sit down and be quiet so they can enjoy their wine.

I tend to agree, but most schools don’t have the students on the 50.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    1991 UO/UW loudest game I’ve ever attended. Crowd roar when Brunell scored on a short TD run was deafening.
  • PolluxPollux Member Posts: 26
    Just wait until upper campus kills off E1 tailgating with their master plan of building an “east campus”.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,800
    HFNY said:

I don't know, UW crushing Stanford at home in 2016 was as loud as I had heard it in years.

With the Seahawks looking at a rebuild, the Huskies have a great chance to be King of Football with a coach who can win.

I included that one Stanford game. One game doesn’t make a program or atmosphere.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,723 Standard Supporter

Packed stadiums, wild crowds, no COVID bullshit, I’m just reminded how UW has fucked this up and I don’t think it’s ever coming back. That atmosphere hasn’t consistently existed at UW for a couple of decades and it’s at an all time low.

WeAreARecycelingChampionSchool

You can’t spell Fucked Up without Jay Inslee.

HFNY said:

I don't know, UW crushing Stanford at home in 2016 was as loud as I had heard it in years.

With the Seahawks looking at a rebuild, the Huskies have a great chance to be King of Football with a coach who can win.

Yeah, that one time 5 years ago.
    46XiJCAB said:

1991 UO/UW loudest game I’ve ever attended. Crowd roar when Brunell scored on a short TD run was deafening.

The upper decks shook.