Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

As I watch other games from around the nation…

2»

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Pollux said:

Just wait until upper campus kills off E1 tailgating with their master plan of building an “east campus”.

That’s going to be special. Fat Lesbo master plan.
  • TrojanSwordTrojanSword Member Posts: 546
    There are many factors that go into low attendances.

#1 is a shitty product on the field. - if you have a city that has some actual culture and social scene then your product needs to be even better to make sure it's worth the time and effort.

All the other shit doesn't matter , location, tailgating any Covid guidelines.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam

Pollux said:

Just wait until upper campus kills off E1 tailgating with their master plan of building an “east campus”.

Wrong fat lesbo?

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    TheHB said:

Pollux said:

Wrong fat lesbo?

I thought people lost weight when they stopped drinking.
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,964 Founders Club

gmo said:

Evolution of Seattle a huge factor.

Other than the shitty traffic, I disagree. If I-5 traffic was like it was 20 years ago and if we still played most of our games at 12:30 pm, the evolution of Seattle would be a benefit, not hindrance for games at Husky Stadium.

For me I-5 traffic and late kickoff times are my least favorite things on game days these recent years.
    Seattle is a different town than it was 20+ years ago. It used to be TUFF blue collar liberals who would RIP your face off. They loved the Huskies. These were the fans Cougar fans hated so much because they didn’t attend UW (hi Harv!). Now it’s a city full of tech wealthy progressives, homeless, ANTIFA tards, and generally people who don’t give a fuck about Husky football.
    The people you talk about still exist. If I-5 traffic didn’t suck so bad, we would get more fans in from Tumwater, Yelm, Centralia, Sedro-Woolley, etc.

• WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,346 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2021

gmo said:

Other than the shitty traffic, I disagree. If I-5 traffic was like it was 20 years ago and if we still played most of our games at 12:30 pm, the evolution of Seattle would be a benefit, not hindrance for games at Husky Stadium.

For me I-5 traffic and late kickoff times are my least favorite things on game days these recent years.
    Seattle is a different town than it was 20+ years ago. It used to be TUFF blue collar liberals who would RIP your face off. They loved the Huskies. These were the fans Cougar fans hated so much because they didn’t attend UW (hi Harv!). Now it’s a city full of tech wealthy progressives, homeless, ANTIFA tards, and generally people who don’t give a fuck about Husky football.
    The people you talk about still exist. If I-5 traffic didn’t suck so bad, we would get more fans in from Tumwater, Yelm, Centralia, Sedro-Woolley, etc.

I can vouch for Sedro-Woolley. Though it's getting harder for us to justify driving there and back to sit in the rain and watch shitty football for 6-7 Saturdays in the Fall.

Splitting of the fanbases in states like Washington might no longer be sustainable. A percentage of the college football fans in western Washington are Coug fans. Ideally now a state like Oregon or Washington would be like Wisconsin, Missouri or LSU where there's really only one program to cheer for.

The shitting of the bed of the Pac-12 hasn't helped either. At least back in the day you could watch the Huskies get plundered by guys like Maurice Jones-Drew and Reggie Bush instead of now week after week watching QBs who can barely throw a forward pass control the game, guys like Travis Dye run for like 10 yards a carry, and a prevent defense give up play after play after play. Fuck that.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,110 Founders Club

gmo said:

After I left I thought I’d miss going to games. Turns out I didn’t miss the crappy experience.

When you’ve lost Yella…
  • no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 763

TheHB said:

If UW football were a house, market comparables would be San Jose State, Georgia Tech and Rice.

Using the real estate analogy, Washington’s location and physical structure are fine. The problem is the crazy owner who does shitty yard care, decor, and home maintenance.
    And all the neighbors that curb stomp you on your own driveway regularly.
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,108
    The football team has sucked ass. Blame demographics all you want but that’s what it all boils down to.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,461 Founders Club
    You know it's much more than "just win games" when you have to hang hat on 2016 Stanford game as the bell cow and b4 that LSU 2009 Sark's first game as the last two times there was special juice in the stadium.

You know what those games are called in 15 places east of Norman, Oklahoma. A above average game during the regular season.
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,732
    im going to laugh as UW is the last place in the country still demanding a mask and your papers in 2 years. you get what you ask for
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,496 Swaye's Wigwam

Even when I was a kid and we were shitty, the stadium was always rocking, no matter the opponent.

One big mistake the school made was giving rich donors the student section seats at midfield. The atmosphere goes to shit when you give old, rich people the most impactful seats. Kids don't want to watch games from behind an end zone. Dumb as shit.

Look what happened to the Seahawks. They became good... old, rich people bought all the good seats as soon they were marked up, atmosphere lost. They're the type of morons that ask you to sit down and be quiet so they can enjoy their wine.

I tend to agree, but most schools don’t have the students on the 50.
    The AD can't even figure out how to fix the "Go Huskies" chant. They aren't going to be able to fix anything of meaning for the game day atmosphere.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,629 Standard Supporter
    From a Seattle cultural perspective, I do think that is a large part of the issue. Look at how many fans attend Sounders games. 20 years ago if you thought a soccer team would draw 40k per game in Seattle you’d be put in an insane asylum.

The blue collar core went to the Seahawks cause they got good and we sucked in the 2000s.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,859 Founders Club
    The Sounders played at Memorial Stadium for their first two seasons before moving to the Kingdome. On April 25, 1976, 58,218 watched the Seattle Sounders and the New York Cosmos in the first sports event held in the Kingdome.[8]

From 1979 to 1982, they competed in three NASL Indoor campaigns, playing their home games also at the Kingdome.

They pulled around 20k a game in the 70s version of major league soccer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Sounders_(1974–1983)
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,629 Standard Supporter

The Sounders played at Memorial Stadium for their first two seasons before moving to the Kingdome. On April 25, 1976, 58,218 watched the Seattle Sounders and the New York Cosmos in the first sports event held in the Kingdome.[8]

From 1979 to 1982, they competed in three NASL Indoor campaigns, playing their home games also at the Kingdome.

They pulled around 20k a game in the 70s version of major league soccer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Sounders_(1974–1983)

Pffft. Anything in Seattle pre-1990 was not reported on the east coast other than the production of Boeing jets.
  • TrojanSwordTrojanSword Member Posts: 546
    I wonder if 0-12 did it or what was it? Because Everytime I go to Seattle I don't see not one person wearing a UW anything.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,974

I wonder if 0-12 did it or what was it? Because Everytime I go to Seattle I don't see not one person wearing a UW anything.

It's really not that difficult. You've sucked and you've sucked for a long time. If you would have done something in your two year run of greatness you'd see more people wearing UW Football gear now. You guys win and you're not discussing changing demographics in Seattle now. Coming off 2020 when most everyone but the SEC had no attendance, you guys were gawd awful. What incentive did you give to people to show up for your games? Good gawd you fucking lost to Montana.

Oregon isn't filling their stadium like they used to. Meathead ball just isn't that entertaining when compared to what people grew accustomed to under Chip. But they are still winning, so people will continue to show up but not like they used to do.
  • TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 829 Founders Club
    gmo said:

The atmosphere at Stanford is our future. Everything about the Bay Area today is Seattle’s future. That’s why I GTFO.