Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Elise Woodward steps up to challenge as temporary UW football play-by-play announcer

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

A lot of very strange anti-paternity leave takes.

Lets encourage and normalize Dads as active hands-on parents from birth onward.

Not sure how the stay-at-home moms did it in the 1950s, probably with lots of booze and general neglect, but I would fucking kill myself if I had to be trapped alone with my kids all day every day with no help from other parent and I'm pretty sure my wife feels the same.

My wife is mostly a stay at home mom (she works about 12 hours a week) and does an awesome job with our kids. I 100% took two weeks off for the birth of all three of them and she was well deserving of the support and certainly much more than that.

Paternity leave is more about taking care of the mom than the kid IMO. I got better at understanding that with each kid we had.
    Well sure, taking care of the mom by helping take care of the baby I guess.

I took two weeks for baby one and 11 weeks for baby two. Would go back and take full leave for baby one if I could partly because fuck any sense of loyalty and obligation I felt to my employer at that time.
    You get paid for the whole 11?
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,855
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Not sure how the stay-at-home moms did it in the 1950s, probably with lots of booze and general neglect, but I would fucking kill myself if I had to be trapped alone with my kids all day every day with no help from other parent and I'm pretty sure my wife feels the same.

They did it fine and families were way less fucked up. Men were still respected.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,066
    Founders Club

Maybe I didn't articulate myself as well as I could have. But my thing is, there are very few UW games to call every year, and it's one day a week. If you want to take the other six days and be with your family, that's great. I'm no caveman. But staying home and missing Saturday is a very 2021 thing to do.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    LawDawg1 said:

dnc said:

My wife is mostly a stay at home mom (she works about 12 hours a week) and does an awesome job with our kids. I 100% took two weeks off for the birth of all three of them and she was well deserving of the support and certainly much more than that.

Paternity leave is more about taking care of the mom than the kid IMO. I got better at understanding that with each kid we had.

I took two weeks for baby one and 11 weeks for baby two. Would go back and take full leave for baby one if I could partly because fuck any sense of loyalty and obligation I felt to my employer at that time.
    Not all women drop a deuce like that and are 100% next day. Some have surgeries, complications, and heal up after paying the doc for some extra stitches. It’s taking care of the kid, other children, and definitely the mom.
    For sure, childbirth is the most insane thing I've ever witnessed. Recovery has got to be rough although the most severe physical limitations only last a couple weeks. My wife will be back to kicking my ass in the gym in short order though.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,066
    Founders Club

dnc said:

If you don't mind me asking, are you a government worker? Or did you take full advantage of FMLA?
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,518
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I can see taking the day of the birth off. If you're a man, don't take "paternity leave," take some form of PTO...

No, in WA State you take paternity so that you can take advantage of the paid leave act that we're all forced to pay in to. Doesn't cover much of my total pay, but better than nothing and burning all of my PTO.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2021
    Gates Foundation used to offer 12 months paid leave for both parents. Now it’s 6 months with 6 months additional pay I believe.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Both my kids were born on Mondays. Used vacation for the rest of the week and went back to work the next Monday.

Yeah, I’m old and employers would have laughed at something called paternity leave back then.

Paternity suits were well understood, of course.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2021

I mostly agree but he can make it to a game on Saturday’s.

That said, the games are shitty and it really doesn’t matter. Some time off before calling the shitty basketball games makes sense.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Courage

I must say, when I heard she was filling in I figured Castrione had contracted an illness. But to hear that he's on paternity leave is just... I don't know what to say

How about "Congratulations, Dad!"...?

I'm not getting why anyone would have an issue with a guy not leaving town when his wife is expecting to give birth soon...and I've always been childfree.
    Could you explain?

What's better than making sure you're there welcoming your child into the world?

I was born on a foggy Saturday morning at 10:08 a.m.

At 11:30a.m., my dad kissed my mom goodbye and went to the Husky game.

Washington won 56-7.

I'm just gonna leave that right there.
    Looks like your dad had his priorities dialed in
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

A lot of the same people complaining about extended paternity leave are the same people who complain about moral and cultural decay in today’s younger generations (who were raised by tv/video games/nanny’s because both parents had to work) and can’t seem to connect the two dots

This is a good counterpoint. If it were me I would do some prep at home during the week and do my job on Saturday’s.

It’s far from a vacation but babies sleep a lot and there is plenty of time to do some work from home.

I’m posting even tho I really don’t care either way. Good for Tony. It’s not a big deal.
  • Options
    ChillyDawgChillyDawg Member Posts: 1,469
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    She did a very good job calling the UW-Wyoming basketball game with Eldridge Recasner on Thursday evening...

Her son is coming to the UW to play for the baseball team on an athletic scholarship.
  • Options
    SonnyShackelfordSonnyShackelford Member Posts: 917
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Anyone have those pro-Lake tweets from Tony handy?

FTG