Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The final word on lake’s recruiting

2»

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,015

Tequilla said:

Canadawg said:

Dawgman released a podcast with Cooper Petanga, the ex UW recruiting analyst under Petersen and now national recruiting analyst for 247, who essentially said that Jimmy Lake and his staff quit on recruiting.

I forget the exact wording he used but essentially said "Jimmy talked a big game" on recruiting but never followed through on it while he was head coach. He mentioned the speech he gave at halftime of the basketball game specifically as a time where his rhetoric didn't match his effort/outcome. Petanga also said the staff thought they were such good developers that they could bring in inferior talent and coach them into players that they could win conference championships with. Petanga seemed to generally think that Jimmy was all hat and no cattle during his tenure as head coach... talked a big game but didn't deliver.

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Article/Washington-Huskies-football-recruiting-DawgmanRadio-Talking-Coaching-Search-And-Recruiting-With-Cooper-Petagna-LSU-Dave-Aranda-USC-Lincoln-Riley-James-Franklin-175466677/

Honestly, after hearing that my reaction to Jimmy is that he can go to hell. I thought that I had come to terms with Jimmy not working out as head coach and that I was willing to let him ride into the sunset and remember him fondly for what he did when he was a DB coach and coordinator but honestly, fuck him. He knew what he was getting himself into and he knew the level of effort that was needed in order to keep our program on a Petersen-era trajectory but he completely mailed it in and half-assed the job and walked away with 10 million dollars of booster/fan money.
    Even Baird said on the honks show that he doesn't feel bad for him seeing as he walked away with all that $$. That's cutting coming from him
    I respect the years and successes that Jimmy had

That was also a while ago

He failed spectacularly as a head coach so much so that he got fired than 81% of people thought was even possible … and he got a $10M parachute on the way for his efforts

Good luck to him but I ain’t kissing his ass after the fact
    When you think about it, his flame out was spectacularly fast. I think most people got something of a pass for COVID. Assuming he did, and I think that's a safe assumption, he's being fired for being spectacularly bad over a very short period of time.

Said differently, if somehow somebody had mistakenly made me the Washington HC instead of Shitballz, I myself might have lasted longer than he did. I'm serious because at least I would not have had the sideline escapade or academic prowess. So, like, I would have just sat around, gotten coffee, made sure all my assistant coaches showed up, made some random comments during practice, met with my assistants and nodded with approval over their game plan recommendations, probably barked at the refs two or three times for effect, and importantly I would NOT have hit or pushed anyone or made dumb Oregon comments to the media.

In that scenario, I think I'm still coaching today. Tell me I'm wrong. This guy may be the most historical HC blowup in history behind only Mike Price strip club Bamers.
    You're not wrong at all. All you would have to do is keep things as unchanged as possible the second you walk into the building. Have IT pull Pete's work calendar for you and simply mimic whatever he did.

Let your recruiting staff tell you when and where you need to be. Use 247 rankings to help you make final decisions on who gets offers and which in-home visits you attend. Let your coordinators handle the entirety of game plans. Given that you likely know nothing about some of the finer details of the game, just pay $150k to a local high school coach to ghost consult for you so your staff doesn't sniff you out as a fraud right away. Get your fraudulent framework in place week one of the job, and then just spend the rest of your time Constanza-scheming ways to convince all of your staff and upper campus bosses that you're adding value and grinding every day.

Everyone will almost certainly come around to the fact that you're hilariously in over your head, and shit will fall apart. But by that time you'll have lasted more than 22 months on the job.

But perhaps that was the point. Why should Jimmy stick around and work at keeping up the charade when he could crater everything as fast as possible and still slither away with his $10m? If the end goal is to make 8 figures as quickly as possible, then he fucking knocked it out of the park. Some might even say it was a grand slam.
    Frighteningly, that's all pretty much plausible and accurate. I can't think of another line of bidness where you get fired for cause and walk away with your whole contract. Literally even the executive suite doesn't work that way. Sure, bad leaders are unceremoniously "let go" with dignity and they know the company could have pulled the "cause" trigger by which you lose all your equity and performance-based comp and other shit. They send you packing with some "good bye" money, depending on how much shit you could stir up once you're gone. But when you get canned for screwing the pooch, you don't get a lot on your way out, contrary to what people think. If they find someone better, or something else happens that isn't strictly your fuck up, then sure, they send you with some feel-good $$. But when "cause" comes out, it's a different kind of party.

Fucking HCs always get sent out with their contracts. Boggles the mind, but again, fucking academic admins are always playing with house money. They have no shareholders and thus nobody to answer to. They just ask for more donations from a mindless mob of people who are emotionally tied to the school.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,621
    One of the main reasons why Lake was supposed to be a decent replacement for Petersen was that he was an elite recruiter and could amp things up to Top 15 classes annually.

Either he stopped caring, trying, or thought it was beneath him once he became HC.

I just hope no Pac-12 program hires him because he is a very good position coach and DB recruiter. Saban's pass D has been leaky so he would be a great fit there.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,108 Founders Club

Tequilla said:

Canadawg said:

Dawgman released a podcast with Cooper Petanga, the ex UW recruiting analyst under Petersen and now national recruiting analyst for 247, who essentially said that Jimmy Lake and his staff quit on recruiting.

I forget the exact wording he used but essentially said "Jimmy talked a big game" on recruiting but never followed through on it while he was head coach. He mentioned the speech he gave at halftime of the basketball game specifically as a time where his rhetoric didn't match his effort/outcome. Petanga also said the staff thought they were such good developers that they could bring in inferior talent and coach them into players that they could win conference championships with. Petanga seemed to generally think that Jimmy was all hat and no cattle during his tenure as head coach... talked a big game but didn't deliver.

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Article/Washington-Huskies-football-recruiting-DawgmanRadio-Talking-Coaching-Search-And-Recruiting-With-Cooper-Petagna-LSU-Dave-Aranda-USC-Lincoln-Riley-James-Franklin-175466677/

Honestly, after hearing that my reaction to Jimmy is that he can go to hell. I thought that I had come to terms with Jimmy not working out as head coach and that I was willing to let him ride into the sunset and remember him fondly for what he did when he was a DB coach and coordinator but honestly, fuck him. He knew what he was getting himself into and he knew the level of effort that was needed in order to keep our program on a Petersen-era trajectory but he completely mailed it in and half-assed the job and walked away with 10 million dollars of booster/fan money.
    Even Baird said on the honks show that he doesn't feel bad for him seeing as he walked away with all that $$. That's cutting coming from him
    I respect the years and successes that Jimmy had

That was also a while ago

He failed spectacularly as a head coach so much so that he got fired than 81% of people thought was even possible … and he got a $10M parachute on the way for his efforts

Good luck to him but I ain’t kissing his ass after the fact
    When you think about it, his flame out was spectacularly fast. I think most people got something of a pass for COVID. Assuming he did, and I think that's a safe assumption, he's being fired for being spectacularly bad over a very short period of time.

Said differently, if somehow somebody had mistakenly made me the Washington HC instead of Shitballz, I myself might have lasted longer than he did. I'm serious because at least I would not have had the sideline escapade or academic prowess. So, like, I would have just sat around, gotten coffee, made sure all my assistant coaches showed up, made some random comments during practice, met with my assistants and nodded with approval over their game plan recommendations, probably barked at the refs two or three times for effect, and importantly I would NOT have hit or pushed anyone or made dumb Oregon comments to the media.

In that scenario, I think I'm still coaching today. Tell me I'm wrong. This guy may be the most historical HC blowup in history behind only Mike Price strip club Bamers.
    I would just wear my Don James style hat (like I already do IRL) and watch practice from a big ass tower. Probably would pour some bourbon in my coffee cup.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    HFNY said:

One of the main reasons why Lake was supposed to be a decent replacement for Petersen was that he was an elite recruiter and could amp things up to Top 15 classes annually.

Either he stopped caring, trying, or thought it was beneath him once he became HC.

I just hope no Pac-12 program hires him because he is a very good position coach and DB recruiter. Saban's pass D has been leaky so he would be a great fit there.

He stopped following the model Pete set up wanted to hi his own direction