Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Matt Campbell

1235»

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,200
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Reading the replies I was reminded that Johnny Majors and Earl Bruce coached there. Majors went to Pitt and won a national championship then to UT. Bruce followed Woody at Ohio State. Tough act. And Walden sucked there

• Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    digits said:

Why don’t people like Campbell exactly?

-Was youngest head coach in FBS when took over Toledo. Still only 41.
    -Dominated peers in the MAC and scored multiple OOC upsets.
    -First conference title game appearance in Iowa State history. They’ve never won Big 8/12.
    -First major bowl win in ISU history. Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce never won there.
    -Only took two years to turn around the program (remember Stoops year 2?)
    -Consistently in top third of conference since year 2 despite lack of resources or any history or tradition.
    -Coach of the year in his conference four out of nine years (awards are stupid but still)

It would be an impressive hire. Desirable positions have been offered to Campbell, and if he leaves for Washington then Washington’s dick looks bigger than if they hired DeBoner or Wilcocks.

I chit-chatted on some Iowa State board last year before the two time defending Pac-12 champs played them. They love the guy, but they’ve been so starved of any semblance of good football that they love him in the same way a Uruguayan rugby player loves human meat. When it’s the best you think you’ll ever get it becomes precious.

What Campbell has achieved there is impressive. They are recruiting better than they had hoped for, and he somehow managed to put together a team that had three first team All-Americans, one of whom wasn’t even overrated. As for his style, I’d describe it as boring as fuck. Don’t make mistakes and hope the others do. It limits gets blown away, and since a football bounces unpredictably it lets you beat better teams once in a while. I’d say he has a 10 win ceiling at Washington with a 7 win floor. Not quite the excitement of the Peterman highs, but respectable.
    Campbell won a NY6 bowl game, something Peterman never did in three attempts @ UW. But still.

How many Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowls has Campbell won?

I understand that Iowa State is a tough place to win, and occasionally losing to Northern Iowa or Louisiana-Lafayette is to be expected. As is needing a last second TD or 3OT to beat an FCS team. I also have no doubt Campbell will do better in the Apple Cup than he has against Iowa, if only because I don’t think he’d last long enough to go 0-6.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,974
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

What Franklin did at Vanderbilt was as impressive as Campbell at Iowa State

Coin toss on that one

Hard disagree. I’ve gone through this before but the five teams Franklin beat in conference for his magical 5-3 2012 season had a total of six conference wins. Franklin only stayed at Vandy three seasons and that was his only year with a winning conference record.

But that was good enough to get him the Penn State job so how are we too big for Campbell?
    When I saw the two downvotes I was torn because I respect your opinion.

I'm not anti Campbell. I am pro any of the good names and Anyone But Wilcox

Franklin did get the big job off of Vandy. Derrick Mason before him moved up as well.

Doing good at a historically bad school is a great resume builder.

Campbell has been their longer and has sustained winning records. That's a big plus. The SEC was tougher than the Big almost 12 is now. Advantage Franklin

I'll take a yes from either
    Franklin wasn’t beating the heavyweights in his conference if I recall. Maybe I am wrong. Plus he hired Jon don so nuff said on that.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He’s 0-6 against freakin Iowa? And people want him to be our coach? Wtf?
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    James Franklin had an absolute STACKED roster for a few years with Trace McSorley, Saquon Barkely, Chris Godwin, Juwan Johnson, Miles Sanders etc. Anyone with a fucking pulse could have won with that group.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,311
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

James Franklin had an absolute STACKED roster for a few years with Trace McSorley, Saquon Barkely, Chris Godwin, Juwan Johnson, Miles Sanders etc. Anyone with a fucking pulse could have won with that group.

Was he responsible for getting those guys? I honestly don't know, but if he was, that's SOMETHING. Franklin doesn't excite me, but if he can keep the good players from leaving the state, keep the island people coming to Seattle and re-establish the California connections, he might be good here.

He could also be another Willingham.
  • Options
    webdawg13webdawg13 Member Posts: 77
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic

TheHB said:

Was he responsible for getting those guys? I honestly don't know, but if he was, that's SOMETHING. Franklin doesn't excite me, but if he can keep the good players from leaving the state, keep the island people coming to Seattle and re-establish the California connections, he might be good here.

I dont want Franklin but im pretty sure at this point he isn’t willingham
    Franklin reminds me more of a Cristobol. Shitty coach but is a very good recruiter. Currently #5 ranked recruiting class. I also don't want him simply for the fact he was the original dumbass that employed Jon Don.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    After seeing Johnny Majors I am all in on Campbell coming here and winning the national championship and recruiting Tony Dorsett

I stand by Franklin being Petersen. Good and bad. Maybe a better recruiter but that might be Penn State being a better destination than UW
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    TheHB said:

He certainly does but he has to sustain that kind of recruiting to make up for what he lacks on game day. Which the past 2 seasons he hasn't done. Could he recruit like that at UW? I don't know.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    This thread just makes me laugh
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,125
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Reading the replies I was reminded that Johnny Majors and Earl Bruce coached there. Majors went to Pitt and won a national championship then to UT. Bruce followed Woody at Ohio State. Tough act. And Walden sucked there

Jim Walden and his RV spotted, tarps and all, outside of Ivars Salmon House
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jim Walden and his RV spotted, tarps and all, outside of Ivars Salmon House
    I thought of Walden when the Texas Tech radio announcers got suspended for being homers and hating on the refs

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,851
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

What Franklin did at Vanderbilt was as impressive as Campbell at Iowa State

Coin toss on that one

Hard disagree. I’ve gone through this before but the five teams Franklin beat in conference for his magical 5-3 2012 season had a total of six conference wins. Franklin only stayed at Vandy three seasons and that was his only year with a winning conference record.

But that was good enough to get him the Penn State job so how are we too big for Campbell?
    When I saw the two downvotes I was torn because I respect your opinion.

I'm not anti Campbell. I am pro any of the good names and Anyone But Wilcox

Franklin did get the big job off of Vandy. Derrick Mason before him moved up as well.

Doing good at a historically bad school is a great resume builder.

Campbell has been their longer and has sustained winning records. That's a big plus. The SEC was tougher than the Big almost 12 is now. Advantage Franklin

I'll take a yes from either
    Mason replaced Franklin at Vandy and got fired for going 27-55.

Franklin didn’t get to .500 in SEC games but was 11-14 (.458) which was Vandy’s best conference record & winning % since 1939.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,899
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    It is smart for Franklin to be shopping around for a new job/contract right now. He is trending down at Penn State and if he stays he is probably heading towards hot seat territory.

My hope is that he gets the USC job and continues to keep them irrelevant
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,974
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

It is smart for Franklin to be shopping around for a new job/contract right now. He is trending down at Penn State and if he stays he is probably heading towards hot seat territory.

My hope is that he gets the USC job and continues to keep them irrelevant

I think he would do good at usc but not great. I mean clay won the conference there. This is not like the division he is in currently.