Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Matt Campbell

Comments

• Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,412
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Campbell was 35-15 at Toledo. Pinkel was 73-27

At ISU Campbell is meh. BUT its Iowa STATE!

I'd take Aranda and let USC have Campbell and see what happens

My only concern with Aranda is the small sample size as a HC: He's only coached 19 games, going 10-9. But I'd still take him over Wilcox, Sitake, etc. in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Why don’t people like Campbell exactly?

-Was youngest head coach in FBS when took over Toledo. Still only 41.
    -Dominated peers in the MAC and scored multiple OOC upsets.
    -First conference title game appearance in Iowa State history. They’ve never won Big 8/12.
    -First major bowl win in ISU history. Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce never won there.
    -Only took two years to turn around the program (remember Stoops year 2?)
    -Consistently in top third of conference since year 2 despite lack of resources or any history or tradition.
    -Coach of the year in his conference four out of nine years (awards are stupid but still)

It would be an impressive hire. Desirable positions have been offered to Campbell, and if he leaves for Washington then Washington’s dick looks bigger than if they hired DeBoner or Wilcocks.

I chit-chatted on some Iowa State board last year before the two time defending Pac-12 champs played them. They love the guy, but they’ve been so starved of any semblance of good football that they love him in the same way a Uruguayan rugby player loves human meat. When it’s the best you think you’ll ever get it becomes precious.

What Campbell has achieved there is impressive. They are recruiting better than they had hoped for, and he somehow managed to put together a team that had three first team All-Americans, one of whom wasn’t even overrated. As for his style, I’d describe it as boring as fuck. Don’t make mistakes and hope the others do. It limits gets blown away, and since a football bounces unpredictably it lets you beat better teams once in a while. I’d say he has a 10 win ceiling at Washington with a 7 win floor. Not quite the excitement of the Peterman highs, but respectable.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,976
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

-First conference title game appearance in Iowa State history. They’ve never won Big 8/12.
    -First major bowl win in ISU history. Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce never won there.
    -Consistently in top third of conference since year 2 despite lack of resources or any history or tradition.
    -Coach of the year in his conference four out of nine years (awards are stupid but still)

It would be an impressive hire. Desirable positions have been offered to Campbell, and if he leaves for Washington then Washington’s dick looks bigger than if they hired DeBoner or Wilcocks.

I chit-chatted on some Iowa State board last year before the two time defending Pac-12 champs played them. They love the guy, but they’ve been so starved of any semblance of good football that they love him in the same way a Uruguayan rugby player loves human meat. When it’s the best you think you’ll ever get it becomes precious.

What Campbell has achieved there is impressive. They are recruiting better than they had hoped for, and he somehow managed to put together a team that had three first team All-Americans, one of whom wasn’t even overrated. As for his style, I’d describe it as boring as fuck. Don’t make mistakes and hope the others do. It limits gets blown away, and since a football bounces unpredictably it lets you beat better teams once in a while. I’d say he has a 10 win ceiling at Washington with a 7 win floor. Not quite the excitement of the Peterman highs, but respectable.
    This description sounds exactly like Pete though.
  • Options
    A few of Campbell's accomplishments:

- "Campbell coached four full seasons at Toledo: 2012–2015, amassing a record of 35–15. The 2015 team peaked at No. 20 in the AP Poll, including a victory over Arkansas."
    - "In his second year, Campbell led Iowa State to an 8–5 season that included wins against #3 Oklahoma and #4 TCU."
    - "In 2020, the Cyclones finished in first place in the Big 12, their first regular-season first-place finish of any sort in 119 years. They were selected for the 2021 Fiesta Bowl, the first major-bowl appearance in school history, and defeated Oregon 34-17. They finished ninth in both major polls, the highest final ranking in school history."
  • Options

digits said:

Campbell was 35-15 at Toledo. Pinkel was 73-27

At ISU Campbell is meh. BUT its Iowa STATE!

I'd take Aranda and let USC have Campbell and see what happens

My only concern with Aranda is the small sample size as a HC: He's only coached 19 games, going 10-9. But I'd still take him over Wilcox, Sitake, etc. in a heartbeat.
    I would take the risk. He knows big time football. He also fired his shitty OC after year one, brought in a good one, and took off this year.

The drawback is Rhuele was a good program builder himself and didn’t leave Aranda with a bare cupboard. They have talent from the previous staff.
    Which is why I give Campbell a slight edge. He had to build that program from the ground up and won some huge games along the way. Don't get me wrong, I think either would be solid hires. Just say no Wilcox and Sitake.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

NEsnake12 said:

Second guessing whether he’d be a good hire after this quote from yesterday. Yikes

He beat Oregon 34-17

Seems qualified to me
    I was going to ask what he's done

Covid wonder like Indiana
    Matt Campbell would get you to shitty bowls every year. You probably would never lose to the Montana’s of the world with him.

But the next November game He wins that counts, will be his first.

• Options
    Kaepsknee said:

NEsnake12 said:

Second guessing whether he’d be a good hire after this quote from yesterday. Yikes

He beat Oregon 34-17

Seems qualified to me
    I was going to ask what he's done

Covid wonder like Indiana
    Matt Campbell would get you to shitty bowls every year. You probably would never lose to the Montana’s of the world with him.

But the next November game He wins that counts, will be his first.

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,521
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    digits said:

Campbell won a NY6 bowl game, something Peterman never did in three attempts @ UW. But still.

Asterisk needed
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 773
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I'm so bitter that my test is how the new hire matches up with Cristobal. By this measure, it needs to be someone who has a more impressive name cachet from day 1. But then I realize that this isn't the same as being the best coach long term. So fuck.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,206
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What Franklin did at Vanderbilt was as impressive as Campbell at Iowa State

Coin toss on that one
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,706
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Coin toss on that one

Hard disagree. I’ve gone through this before but the five teams Franklin beat in conference for his magical 5-3 2012 season had a total of six conference wins. Franklin only stayed at Vandy three seasons and that was his only year with a winning conference record.

But that was good enough to get him the Penn State job so how are we too big for Campbell?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Coin toss on that one

Hard disagree. I’ve gone through this before but the five teams Franklin beat in conference for his magical 5-3 2012 season had a total of six conference wins. Franklin only stayed at Vandy three seasons and that was his only year with a winning conference record.

But that was good enough to get him the Penn State job so how are we too big for Campbell?
    When I saw the two downvotes I was torn because I respect your opinion.

I'm not anti Campbell. I am pro any of the good names and Anyone But Wilcox

Franklin did get the big job off of Vandy. Derrick Mason before him moved up as well.

Doing good at a historically bad school is a great resume builder.

Campbell has been their longer and has sustained winning records. That's a big plus. The SEC was tougher than the Big almost 12 is now. Advantage Franklin

I'll take a yes from either