Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

You owe your entire career to Washington, Bob Stoops

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited November 2021

I would’ve loved to see Oregon St vs Miami in a bowl game that year.

It still boggles my mind that FSU made the natty over UW or Miami.

Still can't remember the rationale. That said, I remember not being a loud voice for Miami that year because, like @RaceBannon , I have consistently held to the view that head to head has to matter. Yeah, Miami had the better argument over FSU, and UW had the better argument over Miami. What made it a real bitch was that both head to heads - Miami / UW and Miami / FSU were close games. It was a wonderful clusterfuck and Race and some of the other old timers here and I had a great time jawboning about it 21 years ago. I'm good with the way it used to work and don't really GAF that Oklahoma got a slightly discounted natty. I mean, the fuck ... playing any FSU team back in those days was no picnic for anyone, and that's who they drew, they won, end of discussion. It's a fun historical footnote.
    No team leaves natties on the table like Miamuh and they still have way more than 3 of out 4 on Mt Rushmore in my lifetime.

They have left them on the table indeed. 1986 Penn State still, by far, the most painful. No other is close. Buck PI call was terrible, and I hate whenever the refs insert themselves as a deciding factor in any game really, but Buck was good and up to the task and I've learned to live with it. The '86 fiasco was criminal. Penn State was truly vastly inferior. 7 turnovers, 5 unforced by one guy, and still had a chance to win. Jimmy fucked that one up badly. A big red mark on his career.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Still can't remember the rationale. That said, I remember not being a loud voice for Miami that year because, like @RaceBannon , I have consistently held to the view that head to head has to matter. Yeah, Miami had the better argument over FSU, and UW had the better argument over Miami. What made it a real bitch was that both head to heads - Miami / UW and Miami / FSU were close games. It was a wonderful clusterfuck and Race and some of the other old timers here and I had a great time jawboning about it 21 years ago. I'm good with the way it used to work and don't really GAF that Oklahoma got a slightly discounted natty. I mean, the fuck ... playing any FSU team back in those days was no picnic for anyone, and that's who they drew, they won, end of discussion. It's a fun historical footnote.
    No team leaves natties on the table like Miamuh and they still have way more than 3 of out 4 on Mt Rushmore in my lifetime.

They have left them on the table indeed. 1986 Penn State still, by far, the most painful. No other is close. Buck PI call was terrible, and I hate whenever the refs insert themselves as a deciding factor in any game really, but Buck was good an up to the task and I've learned to live with it. The '86 fiasco was criminal. Penn State was truly vastly inferior. 7 turnovers, 5 unforced by one guy, and still had a chance to win. Jimmy fucked that one up badly. A big red mark on his career.
    Losing at Notre Dame hurt me. Catholics V Convicts

I had the Convicts

You just fucking could not lose that game
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    EwaDawg said:

chuck said:

The boovs were Miami of the west that year. I think this would have been the best matchup of that bowl season by a wide margin provided it didn't turn into a full on brawl on the field.
    The brawl would have made it the best matchup of that bowl season.

HTH
    I'd rather watch a football game first. The brawl would be fine as an encode. I doubt OSU had the depth to win a fight but they were scrappy.
  • Options
    <
    EwaDawg said:

chuck said:

The boovs were Miami of the west that year. I think this would have been the best matchup of that bowl season by a wide margin provided it didn't turn into a full on brawl on the field.
    The brawl would have made it the best matchup of that bowl season.

HTH
    Plus Dennis coaching against his old team.

Man, Denny was good at producing quick results. He just had no staying power. After about 3 years or so, his vices started to rub off on his teams.
  • Options

They have left them on the table indeed. 1986 Penn State still, by far, the most painful. No other is close. Buck PI call was terrible, and I hate whenever the refs insert themselves as a deciding factor in any game really, but Buck was good an up to the task and I've learned to live with it. The '86 fiasco was criminal. Penn State was truly vastly inferior. 7 turnovers, 5 unforced by one guy, and still had a chance to win. Jimmy fucked that one up badly. A big red mark on his career.

I had the Convicts

The Cleveland Gary non-fumble fumble was worse than the Bucks PI call. I'm at peace with the Holtz ND era though. Close games at South Bend, and bend-over games in the Orange Bowl, including 3rd and 43.
  • Options

The Catholics vs Convicts games in the late 80s are what made me fall in love with college football.

Let me tell you: the hate was real, and it was spectacular.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited November 2021

I had the Convicts

The Cleveland Gary non-fumble fumble was worse than the Bucks PI call. I'm at peace with the Holtz ND era though. Close games at South Bend, and bend-over games in the Orange Bowl, including 3rd and 43.
    Since no one else is going to ever challenge you on your Miami posts, I'll just throw out that while the Cleveland Gary non-fumble was awful, the Andre Brown touchdown "catch" is arguably worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80lTRWFmt4o

Let's go ahead and say they cancel each other out and ND won '88 legitimately. You'll always have 3rd and 43 though.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

I had the Convicts

Since no one else is going to ever challenge you on your Miami posts, I'll just throw out that while the Cleveland Gary non-fumble was awful, the Andre Brown touchdown "catch" is arguably worse.

Let's go ahead and say they cancel each other out and ND won '88 legitimately. You'll always have 3rd and 43 though.
    I'll chin it just because you know what you're talking about, but no to agreeing to a cancel out, and surely not worse. It's hard to see how much control he had or didn't have with that non-HD footage, from a mile away, and lack of focus. He clearly catches it, rolls over and the ball falls out/ was on its way out. Hard to say how much control he had before the ball is no longer secured.

The Gary fumble-not-fumble happened out in the wide open spaces for @GrandpaSankey to see and there is zero debate about what caused the fumble (the ground). I believe the officials owned up to it after the game. Or maybe that's urban legend I choose to believe.

But I'll let it go and say '88 was fine enough, and the 3rd and 43 is more than enough salve on the wound.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

I had the Convicts

No one's challenges Creep?

I've given the guy, at least, a half dozen shiners behind Kane Hall.
  • Options

Gladstone said:

I had the Convicts

No one's challenges Creep?

I've given the guy, at least, a half dozen shiners behind Kane Hall.
    Hence my screwed up and confused persona. Trauma is always the reason.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

They have left them on the table indeed. 1986 Penn State still, by far, the most painful. No other is close. Buck PI call was terrible, and I hate whenever the refs insert themselves as a deciding factor in any game really, but Buck was good and up to the task and I've learned to live with it. The '86 fiasco was criminal. Penn State was truly vastly inferior. 7 turnovers, 5 unforced by one guy, and still had a chance to win. Jimmy fucked that one up badly. A big red mark on his career.
    Speaking of 80's Cane Talk @creepycoug ? What was up with 1985? They beat Barry in Oklahoma who went on to get the Natty. Were they Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde that year?
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Speaking of 80's Cane Talk @creepycoug ? What was up with 1985? They beat Barry in Oklahoma who went on to get the Natty. Were they Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde that year?
    Hard to remember now. That was also a Vinny team, and while the guy was supremely physically talented and had some great games, he choked in January ... badly. '85 was against Tennessee, and Vinny sucked, but so did the rest of the team. They had as I recall a technical possibility of claiming a natty with a win against the Vols, but wound up getting their asses kicked. They just sucked that day, that's all I remember. I don't think it was a historically great UT team; I think one team showed up and the other team didn't.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The SEC was Cane kryptonite. The Big 8 was their bitch
  • Options

The SEC was Cane kryptonite. The Big 8 was their bitch

Except for Bamers (split) and LSU.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The SEC Worshington was Cane kryptonite. The Big 8 was their bitch

Dos y uno!
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

The best thing about 2001 Cane stories is that they always begin with a 2000 loss at Husky Stadium

Worst thing is that 65-7 gets a lot of play

I had a great shit-talking streak going with creep up until that 65-7 assraping. A game like that kinda takes the wind out of your shit-talking sails.