Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hardcore Husky Podcast: Emergency Podcast!

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,643 Founders Club
An emergency pod for our pods.

Jimmy Lake's suspension brings Derek, JoeE and Woolley to the REPO REPO REPO Roundtable. Will Jimmy Lake get fired? Will Washington ever beat Oregon again? Will Ruperake Fuavai win the Guy Flaherty Most Inspirational Award? The boys answer these questions and so much more! Shout outs go to Dan Grable and TTJ.

https://anchor.fm/hardcorehusky/episodes/Emergency-Podcast-Chaos-on-Montlake-e1a0svc

Comments

• JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,593 Founders Club
    More of a Larry Owings shoutout rather than Dan Gable
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Jesus, college wrestling really??? Wtf is going on here??
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,593 Founders Club
    FireCohen said:

I can go on a pro wresting tangent next time if you want
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,461 Founders Club

FireCohen said:

Yes to more pro wrestling. Specifically debate of Flair vs. Rock who was the best on the mic?

Also, yes UW did use Neuheisel's gambling scandal to push him out. Much like how this year has went for Lake and where it was going, the same was happening under Neuheisel but in his case we had been used to great defenses between James and Lambo for many of their 20 years here, and so when we were getting torched by shitty Pac-10 schools at the time the fanbases pitchforks were really out.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter
    godawgst said:

FireCohen said:

Yes to more pro wrestling. Specifically debate of Flair vs. Rock who was the best on the mic?

Also, yes UW did use Neuheisel's gambling scandal to push him out. Much like how this year has went for Lake and where it was going, the same was happening under Neuheisel but in his case we had been used to great defenses between James and Lambo for many of their 20 years here, and so when we were getting torched by shitty Pac-10 schools at the time the fanbases pitchforks were really out.

Rick was not run out like lake. The AD wet the bed and panicked. He may have been fired after another subpar year.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,852 Founders Club
    I got used to shitty defense under Lambo as head coach
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,796
    Jimmy should have been much better. His recruiting should have been lights out. But as soon as he got the job, it seemed he coasted. No marketing, recruiting, kick ass press conferences. He hid his shit OC hire for months before quietly letting him have an awkward press conference. He fought like hell for the job, got paid, and led like he wanted to be fired.
  • SonnyShackelfordSonnyShackelford Member Posts: 951
    Can we get @Doogles to come back on too?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,643 Founders Club

Doogles is only available in a very narrow time window
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,366 Founders Club

Doogles is only available in a very narrow time window
    He is deep into his postgraduate studies of male tantric massage.

@Doogles @EdgingwithMenDWAG
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,346 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2021

godawgst said:

FireCohen said:

Rick was not run out like lake. The AD wet the bed and panicked. He may have been fired after another subpar year.
    Yeah, given the timing and replacement, I don't think Rick was run out. I'm sure he was unpopular in the department at the time given how disappointing his team had become and him trying to get other jobs, but running him out that close to the season with Gilby (a failed head coach) as the replacement would have been insane. There was no way Gilby with two months heads up was going to outperform Rick in 2003. Had Rick stayed in 2003, he goes 8-4 at best, probably 7-5 or 6-6 and at the time that probably gets him fired and you do a real coach search with the best thing being Willingham not yet being available.

It's very unfortunate no one hired away Neuheisel some time when he was at Washington. Same with Sark in 2009-2011.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,852 Founders Club
    People forget that Samek predicted 12-0 for the season that Rick didn't get

There was a thought that UW would bounce back from a disappointing 2002 season. Maybe not 12-0 but win the Pac

If they hadn't Rick would have been fired for on field stuff in December as it should be
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,643 Founders Club

I remember the optimism. There's no way Rick was going to figure out how to have an OL and a defense going into 2003. Best case he avoids the embarrassment against Nevada and Arizona, goes 8-4 and beats Minnesota in the Sun Bowl. Then he bottoms out in 2004 and gets fired.

Similar to his ending at UCLA