Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Time to checkin on UW’s NIL Director

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,235
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    HuskyJW said:
    I appreciate the effort. But how will they respond when Title IX activists demand equal pay and start calling UW sexist? If they make football the priority, then mega kudos!
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

This actually is great news

And Petersen can earn that money we are throwing away at him

1,000 bucks to every player if they beat Oregon. Start the go fund me

Wouldn’t shock me at all if the $$$ is already in place for a staff turnover

Also wouldn’t shock me if Jen isn’t that far behind
    It wouldn't?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    LawDawg1 said:

Tequilla said:

This actually is great news

And Petersen can earn that money we are throwing away at him

1,000 bucks to every player if they beat Oregon. Start the go fund me

Wouldn’t shock me at all if the $$$ is already in place for a staff turnover

Also wouldn’t shock me if Jen isn’t that far behind
    It wouldn't?
    The NIL investment is a significant one

You don’t make a huge investment to be the best and surround it with mediocrity
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,996
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2021
    Taylor feels bad and wants to make amends
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Weird that nobody retracted their dumbfuck NIL takes from the various Karen threads…
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    Swaye's Wigwam

Weird that nobody retracted their dumbfuck NIL takes from the various Karen threads…

I did
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    Swaye's Wigwam

I was wrong to only dwell on the nice pic of her hiking. That was true before this news though.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We'll see what this amounts to but I'm excited for little bit of light this shines for the future
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

digits said:

At what point does she start working for UW?

Define: "working."
    It’s her personal Twitter…

Imagine being the Karl to this Karen.
  • Options
    YimmyFakeYimmyFake Member Posts: 19
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
  • Options

Not sure why you believe generic Karen OU fan had anything significant to do with the development or fruition of our new NIL enterprise.
    She didn’t. The point was people had no idea what UW even had in place for NIL or what Karen was hired for (google the damn job description) yet felt compelled to rip her for the most random things like not immediately moving to Seattle to start the next day.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,589
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sources said:

Not sure why you believe generic Karen OU fan had anything significant to do with the development or fruition of our new NIL enterprise.
    She didn’t. The point was people had no idea what UW even had in place for NIL or what Karen was hired for (google the damn job description) yet felt compelled to rip her for the most random things like not immediately moving to Seattle to start the next day.
    1. Karen had zero to do with this venture. Defending her because UW finally got their shit together is a nothing burger.
    2. Karens last name is Ramming and she isn't ugly. That alone accounted for two pages worth of posts in this thread. Pretty on par for this forum.
    3. Most on here were frustrated because UW had over a year to come up with this plan before NIL was passed. Instead they watched as 59 other big name and not so big name programs left them in the dust. Why wait?

Good on UW for finally pulling together a comprehensive program to sell to future recruits. Better late than never.
    Much like some were giving Karen too much credit, I think you're doing the same for UW. I'm sure Jen was aware of this and loosely supported the idea, but this is purely a community initiative. Our admin sucks, but our alums at least have a clue
    Fair point. I read the Times article and this was done by alums worried about UW's lack of traction in NIL. I assumed UW was involved so I stand corrected. Jen apparently still sucks.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756

Sources said:

1. Karen had zero to do with this venture. Defending her because UW finally got their shit together is a nothing burger.
    2. Karens last name is Ramming and she isn't ugly. That alone accounted for two pages worth of posts in this thread. Pretty on par for this forum.
    3. Most on here were frustrated because UW had over a year to come up with this plan before NIL was passed. Instead they watched as 59 other big name and not so big name programs left them in the dust. Why wait?

Good on UW for finally pulling together a comprehensive program to sell to future recruits. Better late than never.
    Much like some were giving Karen too much credit, I think you're doing the same for UW. I'm sure Jen was aware of this and loosely supported the idea, but this is purely a community initiative. Our admin sucks, but our alums at least have a clue
    Fair point. I read the Times article and this was done by alums worried about UW's lack of traction in NIL. I assumed UW was involved so I stand corrected. Jen apparently still sucks.
    So is there a need to apologize to Karen and @FremontTroll or not?
  • Options

Sources said:

Apparently you didn’t make it to the end:

UW, of course, is prohibited from affiliating with Montlake Futures or cultivating NIL deals for its athletes. In February, the university did, however, launch the Boundless Futures program — “a comprehensive personal, professional and leadership development program” encompassing NIL curriculum through the Foster School of Business and a partnership with brand-building platform Opendorse.”

The first Karen thread started off with some bullshit about Karen not being capable of walking into Amazon and flipping her big dick out on the table….

Which I pointed out is not what she was hired for and is not the University’s role in any way shape or form!

I pointed out that UW already had similar programs to what other schools were doing to educate student-athletes and help them build their own brands.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sources said:

Apparently you didn’t make it to the end:

UW, of course, is prohibited from affiliating with Montlake Futures or cultivating NIL deals for its athletes. In February, the university did, however, launch the Boundless Futures program — “a comprehensive personal, professional and leadership development program” encompassing NIL curriculum through the Foster School of Business and a partnership with brand-building platform Opendorse.”

The first Karen thread started off with some bullshit about Karen not being capable of walking into Amazon and flipping her big dick out on the table….

Which I pointed out is not what she was hired for and is not the University’s role in any way shape or form!

I pointed out that UW already had similar programs to what other schools were doing to educate student-athletes and help them build their own brands.
    Jen has mentioned state law before

As I recall just because the NCAA allows it isn't enough

So our heavy hitters need to hit the legislature

I think
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    https://natlawreview.com/article/alabama-becomes-10th-state-to-enact-name-image-and-likeness-legislation-student

On April 20, 2021, Alabama governor Kay Ivey signed into law a name, image, and likeness (NIL) bill, making Alabama the tenth state to enact such legislation.

The new law, which goes into effect on July 1, 2021, allows student-athletes at Alabama colleges and universities to receive compensation for their names, images, and likenesses (NIL) at market value and to hire agents or attorneys to represent them for the purposes of receiving NIL compensation. In sum, the law sets forth several key rules, similar to the requirements of laws previously enacted in other states.

Alabama joins a growing list of states to pass laws governing the use of student-athletes’ names, images, and likenesses. Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Jersey, and New Mexico all have passed similar legislation, and there are 14 other states with legislation pending.