Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

They are employees, not student-athletes

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Bye bye college football.

Absolutely right. It's going to turn into complete shit. This tired argument has been posted before and Race Bannon won the argument when he said that if you pay the football players you have to pay the women in women's sports and so on. These Northwestern fags are going to ruin college football. Get ready for the NFL farm league and watered down, shit college football. I won't be watching the shit.
    Solution: Let the players earn whatever they want in side deals. It works for all sports, including the Title IX bullshit.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Student athletes, and their scholarships and related expenses, already hit ADs bottom line. Football and basketball players cost schools a lot. Plus, the "profit" from football and basketball are the cash cow for the so-called "minor"sports. I understand the idea that college football is such a huge industry that it will adjust its revenue and expenses accordingly, and everything will go on as usual. Higher ticket prices, greater use of luxury suites and naming rights, bigger tv contracts, etc. But if college athletes successfully market the idea that they are "labor" then I think you have to watch out for the impact of labor unions and political correctness into the process. Either way, however, it will be interesting.

If you are compensating them for their services and giving them a work schedule, they are labor.

Shall I explain why water is wet now?
  • Options
    FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
    what is the monetary value given a full scholarship football player?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Don't worry guys I'm going to email Chris Petersen that it's all right to pay players since Northwestern will do it.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited March 2014
    Some people thought the proletariat revolution that created the Soviet Union was a good idea too. Change isn't bad, man. Northwestern can play for Vladimir Putin after the NCAA places them in exile. I wonder if these guys participated in the movement to raise the SeaTac minimum wage.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Some people thought the proletariat revolution that created the Soviet Union was a good idea too. Change isn't bad, man. Northwestern can play for Vladimir Putin after the NCAA places them in exile. I wonder if these guys participated in the movement to raise the SeaTac minimum wage.

Get a grip.
  • Options

Christ! Talk about extremes .

The anti- slavery south in the 1860's were against change.

Two can play this fucktarded game.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Most of us fucktards would agree that any change that makes college football worse is not a change worth embracing. They are the gladiators and we are the spectators. They get paid with glory, not with gold.

• Options
    edited March 2014
  • Options
    BlowItUpBlowItUp Member Posts: 877
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    as long as these 'employees' can get fired if they suck.

and no I don't hate Ben Ossai.

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

Christ! Talk about extremes

The anti- slavery south in the 1860's were against change.

Two can play this fucktarded game.

Unless you can produce picks and name names, pretty sure this is a lie.

• Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Kids these days - I propose compromise...free graduate degree in general studies and a Fresca
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Title IX is related to scholarships, not to athletic department employees. If football players are employees, then you can cut 85 women's scholarships. Peterman gets paid more than McLaughlin and Metcalf because his program brings in more money than theirs do, even though they are better at what they do than Peterman is at what he does. There is no rule that says all athletic department employees must be paid the same.

MLB did not die when Marvin Miller won free agency. NFL football did not die with free agency. If Athletic Departments can give AD's a bonus of one week's salary $18,000 if a wrestler wins a title, they have money to pay football players.

I cannot wait until the SEC bolts the NCAA and starts its own college football league and pays the players.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    BlowItUp said:

as long as these 'employees' can get fired if they suck.

and no I don't hate Ben Ossai.

They already can. Scholarships are year to year, at the school's discretion.
  • Options

Title IX is related to scholarships, not to athletic department employees. If football players are employees, then you can cut 85 women's scholarships. Peterman gets paid more than McLaughlin and Metcalf because his program brings in more money than theirs do, even though they are better at what they do than Peterman is at what he does. There is no rule that says all athletic department employees must be paid the same.

MLB did not die when Marvin Miller won free agency. NFL football did not die with free agency. If Athletic Departments can give AD's a bonus of one week's salary $18,000 if a wrestler wins a title, they have money to pay football players.

I cannot wait until the SEC bolts the NCAA and starts its own college football league and pays the players.

The Half Brains have been saying that for years ever since Mark Emmert became president of the NCAA.

Anyways how is Mark Emmert a bad president?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is what I was getting at. We're *probably* going to get to a point where college football will have 1-2 conferences of all the teams that really give a shit about winning and compete for the best athletes without hiding behind all the under-the-table shit everyone accuses their rival's school of doing. This will make teams that have been throwing money at their mediocrity but still can't do shit like Michigan (and UW) as well as some of the older powers more relevant again and pit them against the Alabama's, etc, and the Boise and Fresno St's will go DIAFF.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014
    Shut the fucking thing down and tell the NFL to start a minor league. Basketball players that want to go pro can start in the C League. All other sports can either generate enough ticket sales to survive or DIAFF. Tell 99% of the players who have no hope to ever play past college to fuck off and pay for their own god damn education if that's what they want to do. it's not as if colleges have to do this. They are schools. Just be schools.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Shut the fucking thing down and tell the NFL to start a minor league. Basketball players that want to go pro can start in the C League. All other sports can either generate enough ticket sales to survive or DIAFF. it's not as if colleges have to do this. They are schools. Just be schools.

Then how the fuck are we supposed to stay on top as a Softball juggernaut?!
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

Shut the fucking thing down and tell the NFL to start a minor league. Basketball players that want to go pro can start in the C League. All other sports can either generate enough ticket sales to survive or DIAFF. it's not as if colleges have to do this. They are schools. Just be schools.

Then how the fuck are we supposed to stay on top as a Softball juggernaut?!
    They aren't. Are universities will be like those in Europe. No sports. Everyone knows Europe does education better than us. We are garish and extravagant. Offensive even.