Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited March 2014
    Fuck - this is what happens when you have too many smarty pants in one place with too much time on their hands.

One of many problems: Northwestern's player profile is, no doubt, not representative of the typical D1 football program. Ironically, there are probably a lot more actual students on that roster than, say, Ohio State's.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Fuck - this is what happens when you have too many smart pants in one place with too much time on their hands.

One of many problems: Northwestern's player profile is, no doubt, not representative of the typical D1 football program. Ironically, there are probably a lot more actual students on that roster than, say, Ohio State's.

Why does the player profile matter?
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Bye bye college football.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Yeah because people are going to throw away a billion dollar industry.

College football as we know it, perhaps, will end. But change isn't always bad.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Can we save a bit of the drama? This will have no impact on public institutions.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

To me, it's almost all that matters, because the argument against calling them employees is based on an anachronism - the tired and unrealistic notion of real student status. Holding to the old notion of amateurism and the ideal of the kid who is there to go to school and as a side matter wants to participate in athletics is a about as self-delusional as any institution of significance in our society I can think of.

Most of the kids on a D1 roster aren't real students. They barely get through, their degrees are mostly made up and they need a lot of help and cojoling to get it done. I used to tutor at the EOP center just off Brooklyn ... I worked with a lot of the football players. I know of what I speak.

There was a fucker on fagman who argued with me on this and tried to insist as evidence that Donald Jones was one of the most thoughtful contributors in some poli sci class he had with him. I called him out on that as straight up made up bullshit because I had Donald sit right next to me in a Drama 101 quiz section (taught by a heroin addict), and Donald struggled A LOT. The fagman poster didn't hold his position too enthusiastically I suspect because he was making it up and knew I knew better.

And that's what we all do. We make it up that these fuckers are students. They are not. Most of them would struggle to get through community college w/o A LOT of help.

Mind you, I don't give a fuck, but it is straight up made up bullshit to call even 30% of those fuckers real college students. They are not.

Now, at Northwestern, I'm guessing the percentage is a lot higher than it is anywhere in the SEC sans Vandy. That's all I'm saying. It would be easier to carry this argument at Oklahoma than at one of the top national universities in the country.

Gave this a thumb up for the bolded part alone. I love it when you call Doogs on their bullshit and they are left with fucking nothing. "But, still".
  • Options
    HuskyJW said:

Can we save a bit of the drama? This will have no impact on public institutions.

You think Ohio State is going to let Northwestern outspend them on players?
  • Options

HuskyJW said:

You think Ohio State is going to let Northwestern outspend them on players?
    Doogs are secretly happy now they can bitch about how Oregon is outspending the Huskies. It's not "fair" blah blah blah.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    HuskyJW said:

Good poont. Driving up the cost of "labor" at college football programs like USC, Notre Dame, Miami, Stanford, Northwestern, Vandy, Boston College, etc. and their competitive position, will have no impact on the college football landscape. Nor will it force public schools to revise their policies related to sponsoring sports like football and basketball. Relax. Everything is ok!
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tosh Lupoi will be out of a job.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited March 2014

Yeah because people are going to throw away a billion dollar industry.

\
    totally fucking agree. where there is money to be lost and made, there is at least that amount of money to change the rules if the courts are going to fuck things up.

i'm now firmly entrenched in middle age, and I've been to the fucking rodeo a few times. there is no better education on how the system works than being at a company with enough money to legitimately play in D.C. and have a department of Seal Team "corporate affairs" types who do nothing but make sure the system doesn't fuck us.

when some set of unfortunate facts makes its way to the wrong federal court and there is a threat to any industry or special interest, I PROMISE YOU the first thing money and influence say is not "let's get the best lawyers." They say that second. The first thing money and influence say is, "legislative fix."

you are correct - I would bet my entire savings that this one court decision is not going to change the basic economics of cfb, and if the basic economics don't change, then you and I will not perceive any difference in the product we enjoy.
  • Options

HuskyJW said:

Good poont. Driving up the cost of "labor" at college football programs like USC, Notre Dame, Miami, Stanford, Northwestern, Vandy, Boston College, etc. and their competitive position, will have no impact on the college football landscape. Nor will it force public schools to revise their policies related to sponsoring sports like football and basketball. Relax. Everything is ok!
    This argument might make sense if college football coaches weren't paid millions of dollars.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This is going to suck ass if the public schools that are serious about football don't make major changes. This won't get reversed, now every private school in the country like USC will have to pony up a bunch to get their players. Now everyone wants to go to that school instead of the public ones because of the benefits. Now public schools have to change to compete with the private schools. There are schools in the pac12 that won't be able to compete. Not sure if anyone here gives a fuck, so long as UW maintains a commitment to winning football. Still the mega-conference predictions will probably come true.

I really hope (though this will never happen) that public schools, once they realize the amount of money needed to keep the players in their revenue-generating sport, will just fucking axe the non-revenue ones that no one gives a shit about to make up the cash.
  • Options
    haie said:

This is going to suck ass if the public schools that are serious about football don't make major changes. This won't get reversed, now every private school in the country like USC will have to pony up a bunch to get their players. Now everyone wants to go to that school instead of the public ones because of the benefits. Now public schools have to change to compete with the private schools. There are schools in the pac12 that won't be able to compete. Not sure if anyone here gives a fuck, so long as UW maintains a commitment to winning football. Still the mega-conference predictions will probably come true.

I really hope (though this will never happen) that public schools, once they realize the amount of money needed to keep the players in their revenue-generating sport, will just fucking axe the non-revenue ones that no one gives a shit about to make up the cash.

USC is still fucked. They still have Pat HadenFS and SarkFS running their program. No need to worry about them for a while.

The rest of your post reminded me of something I'd read on CoogFarm.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited March 2014

Absolutely right. It's going to turn into complete shit. This tired argument has been posted before and Race Bannon won the argument when he said that if you pay the football players you have to pay the women in women's sports and so on. These Northwestern fags are going to ruin college football. Get ready for the NFL farm league and watered down, shit college football. I won't be watching the shit.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Student athletes, and their scholarships and related expenses, already hit ADs bottom line. Football and basketball players cost schools a lot. Plus, the "profit" from football and basketball are the cash cow for the so-called "minor"sports. I understand the idea that college football is such a huge industry that it will adjust its revenue and expenses accordingly, and everything will go on as usual. Higher ticket prices, greater use of luxury suites and naming rights, bigger tv contracts, etc. But if college athletes successfully market the idea that they are "labor" then I think you have to watch out for the impact of labor unions and political correctness into the process. Either way, however, it will be interesting.
  • Options
    The way to deal with this shit is for the NCAA to act fast and expel Northwestern from the college football leagues. It will send a message to other schools to think twice before trying to pull something similar.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm hearing that the sky is falling.
  • Options
    All of the message board smarty pants jackasses should be happy with this domino they've played a part in knocking over.