Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Question re: "no way Lake gets fired this year" nonsense

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
edited October 2021 in Hardcore Husky Board
I heard this again on Derek's (otherwise good) pod. Explain to me why there's "no chance" Lake gets fired after year 2, even if we go 4-8 or 3-9? There's even precedent at UW with Gilby. Every level of the program and AD has been eviscerated and torn asunder. We're talking Hitler in the bunker with Soviet shells landing in the Reich Chancellery Garden levels of bad.

And I know factually the buyout money is there if UW decided they needed to. So let's kill that argument in its tracks here.

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The only answer is to point at the recent history at UW, quotes from within the AD, and quotes from Jimmy himself which seem to still convey a sense of comfort and confidence.

I dont think he gets fired, period, but finishing with 2-3 wins might be enough. I won't stop hoping.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Because his first year wasn't a normal year.

For UW's soft culture that's all the excuse needed to justify a third year.

"He deserves at least two full years".

Guaranteed.

In my email to the AD/president saying I won’t be giving them another dime, I specifically cited Jen’s constant use of COVID as an excuse for Jimmy. It’s her Ole Reliable when she has to defend Jimmy.

I said it’s absurd to think that Jimmy deserves praise for “handling COVID” while he loses to teams that also had to deal with COVID, including one in Montana that had their entire fall season canceled.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No way he gets fired

Seen this movie

End of the year he will have coached 16 games

Get a grip
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    We are not firing a vaccinated African American coach. The woke optics are just horrible
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

We are winning more than 4. Take the screenshots. Every game is more of a toss up than a loss. Every game besides Michigan has been close.

I hope Lake does get fired, but let’s not confuse what we want to happen with what is likely to happen. He’s probably getting another year with new coordinators.

I’d be shocked if they get more than 5 … 6 isn’t happening

There’s zero evidence to support this team winning consistently
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Don’t shoot the messenger but Hopkins finished dead last two years in a row. Jimmy finished “first” in the north year one and has a losing record year two. The school is in Seattle Washington. No one at the school or in the AD wants to deal with those optics. Is it warranted and is there precedent set to justify a termination? Absolutely. Just not in this day and age. Just not happening.

UW hoops being shit as fuck, doesn't have that big of an impact on the overall bottom line.

The Golden Goose is a different beast.
    Big THIS. Money talks and they need football to generate a lot of cash to pay for the money-losing sports.

I don't fully blame Cohen for promoting Lake beyond his abilities. There was some sense to it, particularly considering Petersen could have given Cohen 2 to 4 weeks notice so that she would have felt less rushed. When an AD fires a coach, they have usually been thinking about it for half a season. When a coach blindsides an AD with a surprise retirement, that AD has to scramble. Lake seems to be good at self-promotion and likely told her he could make the transition seamless while keeping the 2020 recruiting class together.

"UW’s updated numbers: No. 114 (nationally) in rushing yards per game, No. 100 in points-per-game, No. 93 in yards per play and No. 89 in passing yards per attempt. And don’t forget the number of FBS wins by the only teams the Huskies have beaten (Cal and Arkansas State): Zero."

We all see what's happening but the President / AD have to wait for more dreck evidence. Once he is 3-6, they are much more likely to come to a "separation agreement."
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

We are winning more than 4. Take the screenshots. Every game is more of a toss up than a loss. Every game besides Michigan has been close.

I hope Lake does get fired, but let’s not confuse what we want to happen with what is likely to happen. He’s probably getting another year with new coordinators.

I don’t think they will win consistently. They will win this weekend. Another 2 wins after that wouldn’t shock me. I think the O/U is probably 5.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,973
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

I don’t think they will win consistently. They will win this weekend. Another 2 wins after that wouldn’t shock me. I think the O/U is probably 5.
    Arizona win
    Asu loss
    Colorado is a toss up.
    Wazzu toss up
    Stanford probably a loss
    Oregon loss

I like to think the over under is 4.5. The team very well could quit.