Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Income inequality on the ski hill

13»

Comments

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,803
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

So, same thing as the Disney "fast pass" for Disneyland.

The logic against seems to be that a resort like Bachelor operates on US Forest Service land, so there's a bit of a egalitarian thing going on here. Disneyland being private property can gouge the fuck out of everyone as much as they want. Shit I spent like a $100.00 alone on blended margs at California Adventure this past August.

Speaking of Disneyland, what can we do @UW_Doog_Bot to get them to start selling drinks in the OG park?
    Titanic and airlines are more analogous to the Disneyland in regards to being private businesses. Bachelor is MY hill but I don't have a strong opinion either way. I get both sides but if I'm buying a lift ticket, I'd upgrade to the fast pass no problem on a busy weekend. Mid week or during shitty weather, there's no need.
    You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper
    Skiing is a rich man's game even for the pours. I paid $1,079 for my season pass.

I don't think you're a SR throbber yet, but Silver Mt is only $499 for a season.
    I'm out $1750 in season passes this year - IKON and Stevens.

FYFMFE

• Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

The logic against seems to be that a resort like Bachelor operates on US Forest Service land, so there's a bit of a egalitarian thing going on here. Disneyland being private property can gouge the fuck out of everyone as much as they want. Shit I spent like a $100.00 alone on blended margs at California Adventure this past August.

Speaking of Disneyland, what can we do @UW_Doog_Bot to get them to start selling drinks in the OG park?
    Titanic and airlines are more analogous to the Disneyland in regards to being private businesses. Bachelor is MY hill but I don't have a strong opinion either way. I get both sides but if I'm buying a lift ticket, I'd upgrade to the fast pass no problem on a busy weekend. Mid week or during shitty weather, there's no need.
    You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper
    Skiing is a rich man's game even for the pours. I paid $1,079 for my season pass.

I don't think you're a SR throbber yet, but Silver Mt is only $499 for a season.

FYFMFE

I paid $135.00 for my military Epic Pass. Good at all the North American ski areas owned by. Vail. I’ll be hitting Whistler and Park City for sure.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    USMChawk said:

pawz said:

You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper

FYFMFE

I paid $135.00 for my military Epic Pass. Good at all the North American ski areas owned by. Vail. I’ll be hitting Whistler and Park City for sure.
    TYFYS!

PM me if you need any free, expert Park City advice.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

USMChawk said:

pawz said:

You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper

FYFMFE

TYFYS!

I haven’t been there since the mid-90’s so I’m sure it’s changed. My neighbor is from Utah so I’ve got the insider info already.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

pawz said:

You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper

FYFMFE

TYFYS!

I haven’t been there since the mid-90’s so I’m sure it’s changed. My neighbor is from Utah so I’ve got the insider info already.
    Park City has mostly changed for the worst since the mid 1990's, but this was bound to happen. It's simply too much of a quality year round destination within 30 mins of SLC. The only ski towns that have been able to retain some of their small town charm our the places that are still hard to get to.

Park City and Deer Valley used to basically be mom and pop, privately held outfits that treated the locals well and didn't care about quarterly earnings reports. Vail and Altera are there to make a buck and it shows, which is fine. We're not communists here.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Never been to Bachelor, worth the drive from Seattle or should I fly to Utah?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    section8 said:

I think Bachelor is a far better mountain that Crystal or Stevens. But would I drive 5.5 to 6.5 hrs from Seattle to ski it? Probably not. SLC is such an easy flight.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

section8 said:

I think Bachelor is a far better mountain that Crystal or Stevens. But would I drive 5.5 to 6.5 hrs from Seattle to ski it? Probably not. SLC is such an easy flight.
    Is Baker worth my time? Tons of snow but I have no idea of the layout and lifts.
  • Options
    Founders Club

section8 said:

Easier flight to Bend. usually only $175ish rt
  • Options
    Founders Club

section8 said:

Is Baker worth my time? Tons of snow but I have no idea of the layout and lifts.
    Baker is on my bucket list this year. I haven't been, but it appears to have the best terrain and snow locally. This perception is only based on the social media posts that come out of there vs the other local mountains which I ski regularly (I prefer steep technical terrain). The downside is it's 3+ hrs from Seattle - which sucks and has kept me away.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,314
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

section8 said:

Baker is on my bucket list this year. I haven't been, but it appears to have the best terrain and snow locally. This perception is only based on the social media posts that come out of there vs the other local mountains which I ski regularly (I prefer steep technical terrain). The downside is it's 3+ hrs from Seattle - which sucks and has kept me away.

On the way back down, hit up the North Fork Brewery. Great beer, good pizza.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

section8 said:

I haven't skied there in 20 plus years. It gets the most snow of any resort in N. America so there's that. It's just such a haul.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

section8 said:

I haven't skied there in 20 plus years. It gets the most snow of any resort in N. America so there's that. It's just such a haul.
    I have in-laws near Lynden. Might give it a go this season.