Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Income inequality on the ski hill

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,887
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
This is borderline Tug, but I'm the skiing and Central OR news bored so fuck off.

The locals and our goofy, Sen. Ron Wyden are up in arms about the new "fast pass" which Powder Corp (owners of Bachelor and many other resorts) started this year. Pay $49.00 extra per day and get to cut the line.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2021/10/sen-ron-wyden-skiers-concerned-about-new-mt-bachelor-fast-pass.html

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    So, same thing as the Disney "fast pass" for Disneyland.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The logic against seems to be that a resort like Bachelor operates on US Forest Service land, so there's a bit of a egalitarian thing going on here. Disneyland being private property can gouge the fuck out of everyone as much as they want. Shit I spent like a $100.00 alone on blended margs at California Adventure this past August.

Speaking of Disneyland, what can we do @UW_Doog_Bot to get them to start selling drinks in the OG park?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,225
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    One great thing about California is the fast track. Pay to use one or two separate lanes from the riff raff

Some are pay only, some are carpool or pay

Most vehicles in the Southland (iltcit) are single occupancy

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

One great thing about California is the fast track. Pay to use one or two separate lanes from the riff raff

CSB
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I do love that San Joquin Hills toll road.

So in August I had my first experience driving around LA using Waze. Some of these short cuts they had us taking on surface roads to avoid 405 bumper cards were fantastic.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Everyone in all politics hates airlines and shits on them for political points.

Airlines have had rich class and poor class for 80 years.

Time is money. Always has been.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

And before that there was steerage on the Titanic.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,803

whlinder said:

And before that there was steerage on the Titanic.
    @RaceBannon was there!!!!

• Options

The logic against seems to be that a resort like Bachelor operates on US Forest Service land, so there's a bit of a egalitarian thing going on here. Disneyland being private property can gouge the fuck out of everyone as much as they want. Shit I spent like a $100.00 alone on blended margs at California Adventure this past August.

Speaking of Disneyland, what can we do @UW_Doog_Bot to get them to start selling drinks in the OG park?
    Titanic and airlines are more analogous to the Disneyland in regards to being private businesses. Bachelor is MY hill but I don't have a strong opinion either way. I get both sides but if I'm buying a lift ticket, I'd upgrade to the fast pass no problem on a busy weekend. Mid week or during shitty weather, there's no need.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Titanic and airlines are more analogous to the Disneyland in regards to being private businesses. Bachelor is MY hill but I don't have a strong opinion either way. I get both sides but if I'm buying a lift ticket, I'd upgrade to the fast pass no problem on a busy weekend. Mid week or during shitty weather, there's no need.
    You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper
  • Options

You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper
    I was going to say that the poors ski "ride" midweek because they don't have a jerb or they work weekends, then there's the group that ski mid-week because they're so rich they don't have to work or work whenever they want. Or the retired.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don’t see myself doing it. The chairs I’m usually on - Northwest and Outback - never seem to get that busy even on the weekends.

It will be funny to see how it plays out because the pours and threatening too boo and shit talk the fast pass bros.
  • Options

I don’t see myself doing it. The chairs I’m usually on - Northwest and Outback - never seem to get that busy even on the weekends.

It will be funny to see how it plays out because the pours and threatening too boo and shit talk the fast pass bros.
    Easy response:

SCOREBOARD, BITCHES

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You guys** sound poor.

No crowds on weekdays.

**(c) @TheKobeStopper
    Skiing is a rich man's game even for the pours. I paid $1,079 for my season pass.

I don't think you're a SR throbber yet, but Silver Mt is only $499 for a season.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    $49 to skip lines doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, if lines are an issue. I'm not a skier and deaf, but I don't see the big deal here.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,225
    Swaye's Wigwam

That would be a cunty thing to do. If I’m on the fast pass and get shit talked, im giving them a thumbs up and getting on the chair. If I’m with someone talking shit to fast passers, I’m bombing down the hill and ditching them the rest of the day.
    Once upon a time children were taught that sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt you

Hurtful
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

That would be a cunty thing to do. If I’m on the fast pass and get shit talked, im giving them a thumbs up and getting on the chair. If I’m with someone talking shit to fast passers, I’m bombing down the hill and ditching them the rest of the day.
    I'll report back and try to take some videos.