Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

New NIL Manager for UW

Comments

• Options
    lvdlvd Member Posts: 29
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Social media is all about managing optics via the content you post. The content she's posting makes her look like an indifferent out of touch asshole. Imagine not realizing that publicly lamenting your career direction isn't a good way to kick off a new gig. Seems like a pretty fundamental thing not to be bad at. This already feels like when the Times put that other duck child on the UW beat and his reporting sounded like a Dawgman intern til finally the Times got us Vorel. Way to go Jen you clueless fuckhead.

If she can reel in either an Amazon or a Microsoft, her hiring will instantly be regarded a success. It doesn't take much. MSFT AND AMZN have combined 20 times the market cap of Nike. But can she do it? UW has both these companies headquarters in the backyard to themselves and of course several others like Boeing.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    lvd said:

Social media is all about managing optics via the content you post. The content she's posting makes her look like an indifferent out of touch asshole. Imagine not realizing that publicly lamenting your career direction isn't a good way to kick off a new gig. Seems like a pretty fundamental thing not to be bad at. This already feels like when the Times put that other duck child on the UW beat and his reporting sounded like a Dawgman intern til finally the Times got us Vorel. Way to go Jen you clueless fuckhead.

If she can reel in either an Amazon or a Microsoft, her hiring will instantly be regarded a success. It doesn't take much. MSFT AND AMZN have combined 20 times the market cap of Nike. But can she do it? UW has both these companies headquarters in the backyard to themselves and of course several others like Boeing.
    Meanwhile, her equal down in Oregon is Phil Knight and a bunch of former Nike execs who already have the corporation formed and the marketing machine ramped up to promote ESPNs labeled best (injured) player in the a Pac 12. She’s still packing.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    doogville said:

So being social media director of UW atheltics **should** be a full-time job. How on earth can you add NIL to that?

Why wouldn't NIL be its own 6 figure director level role, a direct report to Cohen? Some up and comer at an ad agency or athete management firm.

We're legit going cheap on NIL, right when it's obvious to everyone that we're at a sink or swim inflection for college football/basketball.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Cohen is completely clueless.

But Jen has a BUDGET and is navigating reduced revenue … it’s hard to pay top dollar in THIS economy
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,130
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    LawDawg1 said:

Don’t worry. She won’t start for a few weeks. Gotta pack!!!!

So she's going to coach in the bowl game?
  • Options
    doog_codpiecedoog_codpiece Member Posts: 88
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    doogville said:

So being social media director of UW atheltics **should** be a full-time job. How on earth can you add NIL to that?

Why wouldn't NIL be its own 6 figure director level role, a direct report to Cohen? Some up and comer at an ad agency or athete management firm.

We're legit going cheap on NIL, right when it's obvious to everyone that we're at a sink or swim inflection for college football/basketball.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Cohen is completely clueless.

This is it completely. It’s not about picking this woman apart, it’s about the idea that building an NIL strategy should have more importance.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

lvd said:

The NIL is still new, so a lot of how it will play out remains to be seen. But I can't believe I still see people gabbing about "reeling in" Amazon and Microsoft or any other F500 company in the Seattle area. What possible incentive could any of these companies have to cough up money for any of these kids? I doubt anyone handling the purse strings of a marketing budget over there could ever justify even $10k going to some nameless husky football player who won't even be in the area in three years (or earlier once our mass portal event occurs).

There's a reason all of the NIL deals you read about involve small franchises or local businesses. They're not money making opportunities. But a passionate booster with his own company to use as a slush fund is more than happy to take that loss if it means directly assisting his alma mater's success. So I would assume whoever we hire as the NIL director is someone who can navigate those waters, has connections to local boosters/businesses, and is comfortable shooting the shit with the kind of boys club network of business owners who would be willing to throw money away for an NIL deal. I have no idea if Ramming is that person or not, but on paper she seems to be a complete mismatch and completely underqualified for what I'd expect this job to entail.
    Nike's world headquarters is in Portland Oregon and they get away with using poor brown child slave labor in multiple countries around the world.

Its not an accident they get away with it.

Nike isn't giving Rapinoe and Kaepernick multi million dollar contracts because they are beloved icons at the top of their sports... There is a tax, and Nike understands the game of flatbeds and props.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,066
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2021
    LawDawg1 said:

Based on her past, I’d give her 2-3 yrs max. Fucking millennials.

She might be able to leverage some Qdoba NIL deals. After that, nothing.
    I was thinking a local Orthodontic group.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,121
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

lvd said:

The NIL is still new, so a lot of how it will play out remains to be seen. But I can't believe I still see people gabbing about "reeling in" Amazon and Microsoft or any other F500 company in the Seattle area. What possible incentive could any of these companies have to cough up money for any of these kids? I doubt anyone handling the purse strings of a marketing budget over there could ever justify even $10k going to some nameless husky football player who won't even be in the area in three years (or earlier once our mass portal event occurs).

There's a reason all of the NIL deals you read about involve small franchises or local businesses. They're not money making opportunities. But a passionate booster with his own company to use as a slush fund is more than happy to take that loss if it means directly assisting his alma mater's success. So I would assume whoever we hire as the NIL director is someone who can navigate those waters, has connections to local boosters/businesses, and is comfortable shooting the shit with the kind of boys club network of business owners who would be willing to throw money away for an NIL deal. I have no idea if Ramming is that person or not, but on paper she seems to be a complete mismatch and completely underqualified for what I'd expect this job to entail.

• Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,273
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The only way for this to work is a somewhat local source with regional backing. In other words we needs Doogs at Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, etc... to play the game against uncle Phil, not hire their grad students and #SCODUCK our brains out
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

lvd said:

Microsoft (X-Box) no longer sponsors the Sounders, so I doubt they GAF about a college football team.

Besides, Amazon and Microsoft already give a shit ton of money to UW…to their Computer Science department.

If Dylan Morris and the rest of the team enrolled in CSE 142, we? might stand a chance of getting some of that sweet NIL $$$$.
    CSE 142 is no joke. I took it in 1988 and my son took it in 2020. No joke. I graduated comp sci and encouraged my son who's an interaction designer to take the class. Dude was 15 feet deep in the swimming pole but he managed to pass it.
    I took it too, and I’m glad it was during summer quarter. Very challenging, but I learned a lot.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,244
    Founders Club
    LawDawg1 said:

Don’t worry. She won’t start for a few weeks. Gotta pack!!!!

But she's stoked
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,244
    Founders Club
    Sources said:

On the bright side, we can use her teeth for field goal practice

But would a Michelin tire get through?