Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Dilfer Loses His Shit

dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,854 Swaye's Wigwam
I’ve put the fear of God in my children so they’d never be in this position. Plus my older son is fat and lazy and my two alphas are too skinny. With that said, not sure how I feel about someone else throwing my kids around other than myself…

I’ll be chinteresting to see how this one plays out.

Comments

• rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,198
    get screamed at by trent dilfer, brehs.

crushing.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,131
    Fired in 3...2...1...
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member Posts: 2,912
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    edited August 2021
    To clarify, this is a small college team he's coaching. At that level he could jump off the TV tower and give his dumbass QB the people's elbow and I'd have no issue.

Edit: nevermind, shitty source below said it was Lipscomb University, but it's actually Lipscomb Academy, a prep high school. Still, fuck them kids.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/08/30/trent-dilfer-rant-video-lipscomb-academy/
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,858
    You throw you hat on the ground like that, you done for a long time, if I was coach.

I don't think he did anything too wrong. I guess always be careful "touching" someone when it's heated.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,398
    I can see (and live in) a gigantic disconnect between kids and coaches, especially coaches "of a certain age", which I am one. Kids have been empowered to show their emotions, and speak their minds. I've never laid hands on a kid in 35 years, but played for guys that had no issues grabbing your jersey or face mask to make a point with a face full of spittle, and / or then run you until you puke. Today, that is considered neanderthal behavior.

In retrospect, I can honestly say that in my "playing career" (LOL), I never initiated a conversation with a coach, ever, about anything. As Tony LaRussa said, "I've got an office, he's got a locker". Now, all I get is "my hitting / pitching instructor said..." or my favorite, "Have you seen the video on youtube?"...FML, and now Trent can "spend more tim with family"...
  • Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 808
    Eh. He shouldn’t have grabbed him like that, of course. But also you don’t really know the context about what’s going on here, and their relationship.

Sometimes kids that get coached the hardest like that are the ones the coaches like the most and are pushing.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    I am assuming he did some sort of late hit/cheap shot type of thing.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm all for tough love when needed. I think coaches have to be given leeway to come down hard on kids where appropriate. I had a reputation as a hard ass coach when I was doing coach pitch, 9u soccer, and grade school hoops. I carried that all the way through 15 year olds in baseball and soccer. Most parents saw the method to the madness and were fine with it. Some wanted to talk things over after practice to make sure of what kind of guy I was.

I never had anyone quit on me and only a family or two who tried to avoid getting their marshmallow kid on my team again. Most were fine with it. I played bad cop and good cop as needed. Kids and supportive parents caught on and grew to appreciate and understand...follow my my rules and everything is zen.

But you can't put hands on kids, at least not in front of people. No parent is going to tolerate a coach physically manhandlinh their kid in public. I understand you guys saying there's no context, it didn't look that bad, etc and even agree. Anyone who denies that they'd react if that was their kid in the video is being dishonest though.

Hands off. You just can't break that rule.