Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,546 Swaye's Wigwam
    All right! So they'll be pouring Abyss verticals at Husky Field at Alaska Airlines Ballpark!?
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,363 Swaye's Wigwam
    Welcome to 1995

Deschutes? Not even the best beer in Bend
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,546 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

HuskyJW said:

Welcome to 1995

Mirrorpond is still my go to beer. Fuck off. They also have a citrus ipa that is always a solid choice and of course Black Butt is still a fine porter if I feel inclined to go to sleep after two beers.

I'm pretty loyal to Deschutes. Maybe it's just for sentimental reasons.
    I haven't found anything in the $8/six-pack range, that's available everywhere, that beats it since about 2014 or so.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,097 Founders Club
    HuskyJW said:

Welcome to 1995

I've had many better.

Don't care though. I'm claiming my Free Pub.

@chuck I still like Mirror Pond. It's only 5% which make it sessionable.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,624 Swaye's Wigwam
    Deschutes sucks
    Deschutes suffers from the same thing Alaskan, Red Hook, Mac and Jack, etc. suffer from: They've been around forever, can be found in every gas station let alone grocery store, therefore are too familiar. Their beer that can be found everywhere, like the others, is solid but not spectacular. At one point, The Abyss was my favorite beer money could buy, then they started barrel aging it and charging a dollar an ounce. Just like with Red Hook and Alaskan, their specialty stuff that you don't find in any grocery store is great, and a visit to the brewery is totally worth it.

The gas station a couple of blocks away has a walk-in beer cooler in which you can find any beer on Earth as long as it's an IPA. On most days, the only dark beers in the whole place are Obsidian and Black Butte (but you can choose from five IPAs from Fremont alone...), so I've pounded plenty of emergency Deschutes whilst watching my Dwags shit the bed against an undermanned skwaad.

Just not for $8 per sixer. Seriously, @chuck, who's selling $8 sixers? You live in Mississippi or something?
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2021

Deschutes suffers from the same thing Alaskan, Red Hook, Mac and Jack, etc. suffer from: They've been around forever, can be found in every gas station let alone grocery store, therefore are too familiar. Their beer that can be found everywhere, like the others, is solid but not spectacular. At one point, The Abyss was my favorite beer money could buy, then they started barrel aging it and charging a dollar an ounce. Just like with Red Hook and Alaskan, their specialty stuff that you don't find in any grocery store is great, and a visit to the brewery is totally worth it.

The gas station a couple of blocks away has a walk-in beer cooler in which you can find any beer on Earth as long as it's an IPA. On most days, the only dark beers in the whole place are Obsidian and Black Butte (but you can choose from five IPAs from Fremont alone...), so I've pounded plenty of emergency Deschutes whilst watching my Dwags shit the bed against an undermanned skwaad.

Just not for $8 per sixer. Seriously, @chuck, who's selling $8 sixers? You live in Mississippi or something?

Safeway always has a few microbrews for $7.99. It's usually Widmer, Deschutes, or 10 Barrels type stuff.

At least the Safeway I go to does.

Haha I just caught the "you live in Mississippi..." question. Nope. Klickitat County is pretty close though (as is Wasco county across the river where Safeway is).
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,363 Founders Club
    edited August 2021

Swaye said:

I am forever reminder here that while I have an unbelievably refined cigar collection, I am the most unsophisticated dirtbag beer drinker in the world. Honest to God give me Yuengling, Coors or even a fucking Stella over all the super special limited IPA crap that everyone else does backflips for. I have NEVER understood the IPA/Craft craze. If I want pumpkin I'll eat a fucking pie. If I want beer Yuengling has been making a great lager for almost 200 years.

I get it. Different strokes for different folks, but the race to have the weirdest or most niche and unfindable beer product has never made any sense to me. I don't even like the taste of most of it. Whatevs. I'll drink my Yuengling with the res t of the trash and stay out of highbrow skinny jean IPA hawt talk.

I remember making fun of the IPA bros. They’d be in arguments over which IPA was the hoppiest and produced better bitter beer faces.
    Yeah I have never liked that sour bitter taste thing at all. But it's all the rage. That's for sure. I keep Yuengling loaded in the auxiliary fridge at Camelot Trailer Court and I like that just fine. To be fair I have only come around to whiskey lately (was always a rum guy) under the expert tutelage of @PurpleBaze and @YellowSnow and I am starting to get my whiskey legs a bit but still don't like the super peaty shit that once again, is all the rage right now.

Maybe all the drugs fucked up my taste buds or something? I'll kill for a nicely aged good year Cuban or Honduran stick, but for whiskey gimme blue label or something else that's smooth and easy, and beer I'll just take the regular shit. I do "get it" though, because I know piles of guys who wouldn't know the difference between a Cohiba Magicos and a Macanudo Gold. You need to smoke hundreds of stogies to actually start understanding flavor profiles. I have had hundreds of beers of course, but I suppose it was all the wrong kinds. Heh.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,097 Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I am forever reminder here that while I have an unbelievably refined cigar collection, I am the most unsophisticated dirtbag beer drinker in the world. Honest to God give me Yuengling, Coors or even a fucking Stella over all the super special limited IPA crap that everyone else does backflips for. I have NEVER understood the IPA/Craft craze. If I want pumpkin I'll eat a fucking pie. If I want beer Yuengling has been making a great lager for almost 200 years.

I get it. Different strokes for different folks, but the race to have the weirdest or most niche and unfindable beer product has never made any sense to me. I don't even like the taste of most of it. Whatevs. I'll drink my Yuengling with the res t of the trash and stay out of highbrow skinny jean IPA hawt talk.

I remember making fun of the IPA bros. They’d be in arguments over which IPA was the hoppiest and produced better bitter beer faces.
    Yeah I have never liked that sour bitter taste thing at all. But it's all the rage. That's for sure. I keep Yuengling loaded in the auxiliary fridge at Camelot Trailer Court and I like that just fine. To be fair I have only come around to whiskey lately (was always a rum guy) under the expert tutelage of @PurpleBaze and @YellowSnow and I am starting to get my whiskey legs a bit but still don't like the super peaty shit that once again, is all the rage right now.

Maybe all the drugs fucked up my taste buds or something? I'll kill for a nicely aged good year Cuban or Honduran stick, but for whiskey gimme blue label or something else that's smooth and easy, and beer I'll just take the regular shit. I do "get it" though, because I know piles of guys who wouldn't know the difference between a Cohiba Magicos and a Macanudo Gold. You need to smoke hundreds of stogies to actually start understanding flavor profiles. I have had hundreds of beers of course, but I suppose it was all the wrong kinds. Heh.
    You either like peaty whisky, or you don't. I don't think I've ever met anyone who used to not like peated whisky and then acquired a taste for it later. I think it's the same with mezcal - you either like it or you don't. Yes, tastes do change, but I've never met anyone who's been a peat convert. You don't have to like it. There are so many varieties of whisky & whiskey out there that you don't have to taste a drop of peat in your lifetime.

My unsolicited beer take: IPAs have definitely been overdone and I don't order them. If I'm with someone who orders it and they offer me a sip, I'll usually take it. There are actually some tasty IPAs out there, but most others have been over-hopped to death. I'm a pilsner, blonde, lager, & kolsch kinda guym.
    Not many guysm here can saythey’ve hosted @PurpleBaze for peated whiskig tasting and @DerekJohnson for dirty rainy night in NE Seattle jazz in the same evening.

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

You either like peaty whisky, or you don't. I don't think I've ever met anyone who used to not like peated whisky and then acquired a taste for it later. I think it's the same with mezcal - you either like it or you don't. Yes, tastes do change, but I've never met anyone who's been a peat convert. You don't have to like it. There are so many varieties of whisky & whiskey out there that you don't have to taste a drop of peat in your lifetime.

My unsolicited beer take: IPAs have definitely been overdone and I don't order them. If I'm with someone who orders it and they offer me a sip, I'll usually take it. There are actually some tasty IPAs out there, but most others have been over-hopped to death. I'm a pilsner, blonde, lager, & kolsch kinda guym.
    Give me a simple lager or give me death!
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,854 Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Didn’t you start smoking them long sticks less then two yrs ago?
    edited August 2021

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Didn’t you start smoking them long sticks less then two yrs ago?
    Nope started 20 years ago, just got really serious a few years ago. Moved beyond hunter gatherer.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,854 Swaye's Wigwam
    Ok. I’ll put my passive aggressive away.
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,368
    Honey Backwoods and Coors Banquet....I'm pour