Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Question for doomer doogs

PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,624 Swaye's Wigwam
edited August 2021 in Hardcore Husky Board
So, John Donovan sucks. Worst offensive coordinator hire of all time.

Then, why is it that the offense butt fucked the defense during the scrimmage this weekend?

The offense has never looked this good playing against the UW defense in a scrimmage setting since at least 2013.

Is it:

A. the defense sucks

B. the offense and defense both sucks

C. the team is actually good and the offense is no longer the Achilles heel

Im actually pretty curious what people think.

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,624 Swaye's Wigwam

Impossible to tell from a public scrimmage against themselves.

Very fair, but usually in these scenarios the offense looks completely inept and the defense looks stellar.

Total opposite now.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,624 Swaye's Wigwam

D- Big Dick Swinging QB

Like the 2019 EWU game Heisman big dick swinger?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,236
    Where is the scrimmage report? I haven't read anything about it. Fair question if the offense did do well, though, because the defense has always won the scrimmages for several years running. I have big concerns about the DL position group, though.
  • hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    Did anyone even go to the scrimmage or open practices?

D- Big Dick Swinging QB

Like the 2019 EWU game Heisman big dick swinger?
    While drinking some of @UW_Doog_Bot 's English Bitter home brew with all the floaties in it and watching the re-play, I arrogantly declared that Eason was a Heisman contender and UW was going with the Pac.
    I was secretly dooging too, but trolled around and posted that this place was over hyped and a loss to Cal was right around the corner.

And it was.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam
    Scrimmage stats are your source?

Jokes aside I'm pretty curious what went on. Both Morris and Huard put up good stats. Did Donovan unleash the beast? Is there a beast?
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    LIPO on the coaching hires. There's a lot to be weary of given that not a single one of them did anything to energize the program. But that's short term shit that ultimately doesn't matter.

Recruiting is a different story. Jimmy whiffed on the 2021 class. He's whiffing even harder on this one. Sure, LIPO, awfully warm for December, winning cures all, yada yada. Sure, he can overcome that, but we're now waiting on a lot of things to go right for this to not end in Helfrich 2.0.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Impossible to tell from a public scrimmage against themselves.

Very fair, but usually in these scenarios the offense looks completely inept and the defense looks stellar.

Total opposite now.
    I think you're overstating both ends of this. The offense definitely outplayed the defense but based on what I've read it wasn't some sort of humiliation. Offense looked pretty good, defense looked a little below average.

Since I believe the defense is very good it gives me a lot of hope for the offense.

We'll see.
    RoadTrip said:

Then, why is it that the offense butt fucked the defense during the scrimmage this weekend?

The offense has never looked this good playing against the UW defense in a scrimmage setting since at least 2013.

Is it:

A. the defense sucks

The script dictates it's the defense sucks. Their leader is in TX.
    Youre right about the script.

Not Gregory's first rodeo as a DC though
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

RoadTrip said:

Is it:

A. the defense sucks

The script dictates it's the defense sucks. Their leader is in TX.
    Youre right about the script.

Not Gregory's first rodeo as a DC though
    Nor Jimmy Lake's.

If the defense craters in the first year post K we are completely fucking DOOMED.gif.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

I think Donovan was a terrible play caller last year. His power running game strategy was bad. His over reliance on it, especially in first halves was worse.

That said he did two things really well:

QB Coach - Morris' development was significant. He didn't who any of the schizophrenic tendencies that have plagued UW QB's the past 6 years.

Passing concepts - we saw better spacing and more WRs open than at any time in recent memory (non John Ross division).

If Don can fix even one of the two issues from last season the offense could be really good. If he can fix them both it could be great. The potential is fully there, especially since it appears Morris has taken another step forward.

TL; DR: He has strengths as an OC. If he'll play to them we can be really good.

That's what I noted right away in the covid scrimmages and was excited about. WR were open all over the field. Big play chances were there at all levels of the route trees. When was the last time we saw that?
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 4,015
    I'm more concerned the team is actually good and all the ducks following me kn Twitter will not have any good comebacks anymore after we win another natty.