Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Psychological deep dive

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,821 Founders Club
edited August 2021 in Hardcore Husky Board
The thought occurred to me that for a fairly large segment of fans Chris Petersen was the one bright spot of their Husky fan existence. If you are under 40 or so the 91 DAWGS are something you read about on the internets or your two dads told you about. Maybe you followed the squad for the one shining moment since then in 2000 but before Petersen you got a steady shit sandwich without the misty colored memories of REAL football here.

And then it was gone. No warning just gone. The security and hope you were beginning to feel was yanked away and you were thrown into the street begging for scraps and another fix.

I can relate to this. I hated Lambo from Day1 because he wasn't James and I wanted James dammit. I grew to have reasons to hate Lambo as a coach but that came later. Conversely other fans clung to Lambo as the bridge to the glory years and got mad when he got fired and hated Rick from Day 1. Even the Rose Bowl year was filled with gameday threads that rival the ones here. Slow starts, always have to come from behind, throw too much, run too much, shitty defense etc.

Then came the long dark extended play decade. Even being old as dirt I too found youth and optimism again under Petersen until the Pick 6 against Bama. 2016 was the best year since 2001 which was the best year since 1991. 3 years out of 30.

So here we all are in various stages of anger grief and denial about the Sqwad awaiting a real season we hope where more of the story will be revealed.

So let's feel each other's pain and hope for the best and expect the worst as usual. You never know when that 4th great year might pop up

Comments

• LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,795
    Yeah, but James didn’t have to deal with a real Oregon
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

2035 will be special.

Race will be there
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,776 Founders Club
    FireCohen said:

2035 will be special.

Race will be there
    Goes without saying.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,821 Founders Club
    I remember that there were many seasons under James, all seasons under Lambo, and 2/3 under RN that weren't any better (and worse in many cases) than Petersen's last year at UW. I'm all for hating Pete for saddling himself with a shitty offense, for not being motivated for a winnable Rose Bowl, and for quitting. I can't get on board with treating his last season like some kind of epic, unprecedented failure..

I would have fired Don James.

And 2019 was an epic failure but not unprecedented

This is close to Don James never played a ranked Arizona even though they were ranked in 92. A game I remember as well
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,041 Founders Club
    LawDawg1 said:

Yeah, but James didn’t have to deal with a real Oregon

Not were the Arizona schools serious about football.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,616 Founders Club

I remember that there were many seasons under James, all seasons under Lambo, and 2/3 under RN that weren't any better (and worse in many cases) than Petersen's last year at UW. I'm all for hating Pete for saddling himself with a shitty offense, for not being motivated for a winnable Rose Bowl, and for quitting. I can't get on board with treating his last season like some kind of epic, unprecedented failure..

This is close to Don James never played a ranked Arizona even though they were ranked in 92. A game I remember as well

Arizona was ranked in 1990 when we beat them 54-10
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,776 Founders Club

Was that from memory or Google?

UW has never had the talent before or since that they had then

Relative to the time those Husky teams would compete and win their share against Bama and Clemson today

James changed the evaluation and the bag men really stepped up. It showed

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

First game I ever attended.
    dnc said:

First game I ever attended.
    Arizona was scared. They would have quit if they could
  • dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,368
    edited August 2021
    I was there, it was loud, I don't remember Az scoring 10

Edit: they did