Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Huskies 13th In S&P+ (Wait till you see where the offence ranks)

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,624 Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Our defence will be better than last year by a mile. Offense obviously did enough good stuff for the math nerds so in DyMo I trust

I’m worried about the DT’s. We really need those guys to get better.
    Interesting, because that's one of the areas I'm least concerned about. Tuli is a good bet for first team all conference, and Taki is well above average as gap-stuffer. Those two are experienced and good. And then there's a lot of talented depth behind them.
    Calling them good is a stretch. They are servicable so far.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Our defence will be better than last year by a mile. Offense obviously did enough good stuff for the math nerds so in DyMo I trust

Definitely need improvement, but there's plenty of reason to expect it. Taki is bound to be improved as he's a veteran now. Tuli is healthy, Bandes and Tuitele have experience and time in the conditioning program, and there are some other good looking young guys. This isn't a Sark/Ty/Gilby/Neu DL room. It's actually deep and spread across multiple classes.

Also one of the best thing about Bowman is thst he can slide in and put his hand down and be really effective in run D and as an inside rusher.
    If Bowman gets hurt its the difference between 11-2 or so and 8-5

Not kidding
    Stop it.

The only player on this team who might possibly have 3 win value is Ulofoshio just because there is literally nothing behind him.

Losing Bowman would hurt but the edges look shockingly deep even with all the hits they've taken.

I feel much better at edge than MLB.
    Bowman and ZTF being out leaves out with what, Smalls and McDoogie?

Not exactly proven players...

Eddie is a stud and Sirmon is 80% of the way to being a stud. He has a ton of promise but just needs to finish the fucking play.

Ive thought all the backup Lbs have looked good too when given a chance. Better than Smalls and friends thus far.

Plus, dline is just more important than LB
    By all accounts Trice killed it in spring and is killing it so far in the fall.

McDonald has gotten a lot of love from the coaches.

I'll take Smalls' chances of being good this year over Sirmon's rather easily.

Martin has talent and experience.

Then you've still got Lolohea.

That's at least five guys for two spots if Bowman were out. I am confident a couple of those guys would emerge.

Plus it's probably too early for Himes but he's there also.

At MLB with no Ulo there's Sirmon, Heimuli who I expect big things from this year, Tafisi and Bruener who just got switched back from edge - telling you which position the coach's feel is deepest.

There are no true freshman MLB's who could surprise you and sneak into the rotation. No senior LBs who could make emerge in their last year in the program. It's a massively thin position with an All American starter and a few question marks.

Edge without Bowman beats MLB without Ulo in talent, and depth and is at least a push in snaps.

I'd hate to lose either of them but Ulofoshio is the one indispensable player on this team.

(I'm not even gonna consider the possibility of ZTF returning but that is apparently a thing as well)
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,624 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Definitely need improvement, but there's plenty of reason to expect it. Taki is bound to be improved as he's a veteran now. Tuli is healthy, Bandes and Tuitele have experience and time in the conditioning program, and there are some other good looking young guys. This isn't a Sark/Ty/Gilby/Neu DL room. It's actually deep and spread across multiple classes.

Also one of the best thing about Bowman is thst he can slide in and put his hand down and be really effective in run D and as an inside rusher.

Not kidding
    Stop it.

The only player on this team who might possibly have 3 win value is Ulofoshio just because there is literally nothing behind him.

Losing Bowman would hurt but the edges look shockingly deep even with all the hits they've taken.

Eddie is a stud and Sirmon is 80% of the way to being a stud. He has a ton of promise but just needs to finish the fucking play.

Ive thought all the backup Lbs have looked good too when given a chance. Better than Smalls and friends thus far.

That's at least five guys for two spots if Bowman were out. I am confident a couple of those guys would emerge.

At MLB with no Ulo there's Sirmon, Heimuli who I expect big things from this year, Tafisi and Bruener who just got switched back from edge - telling you which position the coach's feel is deepest.

There are no true freshman MLB's who could surprise you and sneak into the rotation. No senior LBs who could make emerge in their last year in the program. It's a massively thin position with an All American starter and a few question marks.

Edge without Bowman beats MLB without Ulo in talent, and depth and is at least a push in snaps.

I'd hate to lose either of them but Ulofoshio is the one indispensable player on this team.

(I'm not even gonna consider the possibility of ZTF returning but that is apparently a thing as well)
    Good points. Bowman is just such a rock for d line. He pressures well and holds the edge.

Even with Eddie in we still got bullied by Stanford which is what a lot of my analysis is based off of. Bowman makes. Huge difference in the physicality of the front seven. Dude is a forced fumble machine too.

Smalls will get better no doubt and McDonald played a bit. Trice is a total unknown.

dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Not kidding
    Stop it.

Good points. Bowman is just such a rock for d line. He pressures well and holds the edge.

Even with Eddie in we still got bullied by Stanford which is what a lot of my analysis is based off of. Bowman makes. Huge difference in the physicality of the front seven. Dude is a forced fumble machine too.

Smalls will get better no doubt and McDonald played a bit. Trice is a total unknown.
    Fair.

I'm one of the fortunate few who didn't actually watch the Stanford debacle. But I did watch all of Utah and Oregon State and didn't see a noticeable difference with him being in versus Oregon State and out versus Utah. We got way too pushed around by both of those offenses IMO.
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Not kidding
    Stop it.

Fair.

I'm one of the fortunate few who didn't actually watch the Stanford debacle. But I did watch all of Utah and Oregon State and didn't see a noticeable difference with him being in versus Oregon State and out versus Utah. We got way too pushed around by both of those offenses IMO.
    Which is why our Dline is TBD right now as @RoadDawg55 and I are saying

Taki, Tuli, Bandes, Smalls got their shit pushed in.

Doesnt matter how good the other units are when you get manhandled up front

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Not kidding
    Stop it.

Fair.

It wasn't just the DL though, if Sirmon and Turner especially could tackle the defense would have looked a lot better.

Hoping they take steps forward.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,421 Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Not kidding
    Stop it.

Fair.

They played 2 down on the line with Tuli being injured last year. Recipe for disaster.

Look for the twins to be well above average and Bandes and Tuitele to contribute a lot more.

Apparently Siaosi Finau was winning 1 on 1s against good O linemen in spring
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,204 Swaye's Wigwam
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Just to be a contrarian, Taki is JAG. Tuli has flashed. I wasn’t impressed with either Tuitele and Bandes last year. They were R-Fr but they weren’t close to ready to being championship caliber DT’s.

Tuitele not getting his pec fixed worries me. I didn’t think he was all that high of an upside guy to begin with, despite his ranking. Lake and Gregory have already talked about Peihopa playing this year.
    dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Not kidding
    Stop it.

I will probably be wrong and I still hate him until proven otherwise, but Sirmon was close to being good last year. He just didn’t finish the plays. I think he will be better.
    Canadawg said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Not kidding
    Stop it.

Fair.

They played 2 down on the line with Tuli being injured last year. Recipe for disaster.

Look for the twins to be well above average and Bandes and Tuitele to contribute a lot more.

They 2 down stuff is bullshit. Bowman and ZTF played on the edge. Two 300+ guys and two guys around 280 is a big front 4. It’s not the reason we were weak against the run.

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Just to be a contrarian, Taki is JAG. Tuli has flashed. I wasn’t impressed with either Tuitele and Bandes last year. They were R-Fr but they weren’t close to ready to being championship caliber DT’s.

Tuitele not getting his pec fixed worries me. I didn’t think he was all that high of an upside guy to begin with, despite his ranking. Lake and Gregory have already talked about Peihopa playing this year.

"Emotionally ready and physically gifted."

- Robert Gregory IV
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,546 Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

It’s spelled defense mother fucker. Learn to speak English!
    This correction has been attempted multiple times with him already. He even accidentally got it right on one of two attempts in the above quote. Blame Canada.

Pushed. In.

@dnc, you are not allowed to make any more season predictions until watching the Stanford game. Have LOTS of booze on hand.

The two things that have flabbergasted me (gobsmacked, even!) over the last two seasons have been the play/condition of the interior D-line and the MLBs minus Ulofoshio. I know at the very least @RaceBannon is over Petersen for 8-5, but I was even more confused by Socha's performance with that skwaad. What the fuck happened to player development? I predicted a conference championship season in '19 based off the uptick in recruiting meeting the proven development standards. Sure, the D-line would be young, but UW stole nearly every single 4-star DT from out west in consecutive seasons! If Gaines could hold his own as a redshirt freshman, imagine a half dozen four-stars! Ditto all the young linebacker talent. Then the season happened, and every team smart enough to just RTDB at them pushed their shit in, and I was left wondering if these guys had ever even stepped foot in a weight room. Meanwhile, Feld's fucking stupid mustache and pussy-ass rubberband curls turned in a Wose Bow win.

2020 was no better. Beavis RTDB. Utah should have done nothing but RTDB and would have won. Shaw RTDB, knowing that Lake/Kwat knew that he knew that they knew that he was going to RTDB, and UW's D had a train run on 'em anyway. UW's base nickel worked in the past because Gaines then Vea then Levi (to a lesser extent) held ground or even penetrated against a double-team, preventing the guard in a zone blocking scheme from shedding down to the second level and erasing a linebacker. Watching teams run ZBS against UW's interior D in 2019 and 2020 is like watching an instructional video on how it's supposed to work. So far, what we've seen from all of these highly ranked and recruited interior D-linemen is that they're big, but that's about it. None have proven to be particularly athletic, explosive, disruptive. None really command a double-team. They remind me of Jordon Scott from Oregon. If UW lines up in more odd fronts this season (and there are at least five teams against which they should), it's not because of some expectation of the secondary being godly, it's because they have to in order to avoid having Austin Jones jammed seven yards up their A-gap. Sideways.

As for offenSe, UW's plan seems to be run, run, run, run, DEEP BALL! I'll believe it'll be effective when I start seeing those deep balls connect. It's as simple as that.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,821 Founders Club
    We're just lucky @CanadianDAWG doesn't write his posts in English and French
    edited August 2021

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

"Emotionally ready and physically gifted."

- Robert Gregory IV
    strong hawaiian kirkland vibes in this pic, in 3 years he’ll be shredded frankenstein

Dude could be one of the strongest on the team already. 3 years could = monster.

Also, Gaaaaaaaaaaaard 😍
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,421 Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Not kidding
    Stop it.

Fair.

They 2 down stuff is bullshit. Bowman and ZTF played on the edge. Two 300+ guys and two guys around 280 is a big front 4. It’s not the reason we were weak against the run.
    What were they running when Vea was playing?
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,093

Lot of optimism here

Excellent

The fall will hurt that much more

Sums up my UW fan experience.
    Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Not kidding
    Stop it.

Fair.

What were they running when Vea was playing?
    Mostly two down lineman. I’m our base D, we have always played four guys up front. It’s not a 2-2-2-5. That was some idiotic shit from DDY that the lemmings grasped onto.

We do use nickel as our base defense so we are down a man in the front 7. The Buck/Sam are essentially DE’s that every now and then cover (which real DE’s also do from time to time).