Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dems to restrict Vitamin D and other supplements in new bill

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sledog said:

Mo reason for this bullshit other than preventing us from treating ourselves in instances such as the current China virus scam. Fuck 'em! You can take my vitamins from my cold dead hands!

@RoadDawg55 vs @Sledog: Pistols at Dawn!
    Not at all. Government and big pharma should stay out. People should be allowed to take whatever they want. Most vitamins and supplements are scams tho.

I see this possibility for what it is. Another way for big pharma to control a multi billion dollar industry and line their pockets thru buying politicians.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,904
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Sledog said:

Mo reason for this bullshit other than preventing us from treating ourselves in instances such as the current China virus scam. Fuck 'em! You can take my vitamins from my cold dead hands!

@RoadDawg55 vs @Sledog: Pistols at Dawn!
    Not at all. Government and big pharma should stay out. People should be allowed to take whatever they want. Most vitamins and supplements are scams tho.

I see this possibility for what it is. Another way for big pharma to control a multi billion dollar industry and line their pockets thru buying politicians.
    Don't forget the placebo effect. Look at the miracle covid drug Remdesivir.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31022-9/fulltext

Summary
    Background
    No specific antiviral drug has been proven effective for treatment of patients with severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Remdesivir (GS-5734), a nucleoside analogue prodrug, has inhibitory effects on pathogenic animal and human coronaviruses, including severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in vitro, and inhibits Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, SARS-CoV-1, and SARS-CoV-2 replication in animal models.

Methods
    We did a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial at ten hospitals in Hubei, China. Eligible patients were adults (aged ≥18 years) admitted to hospital with laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection, with an interval from symptom onset to enrolment of 12 days or less, oxygen saturation of 94% or less on room air or a ratio of arterial oxygen partial pressure to fractional inspired oxygen of 300 mm Hg or less, and radiologically confirmed pneumonia. Patients were randomly assigned in a 2:1 ratio to intravenous remdesivir (200 mg on day 1 followed by 100 mg on days 2–10 in single daily infusions) or the same volume of placebo infusions for 10 days. Patients were permitted concomitant use of lopinavir–ritonavir, interferons, and corticosteroids. The primary endpoint was time to clinical improvement up to day 28, defined as the time (in days) from randomisation to the point of a decline of two levels on a six-point ordinal scale of clinical status (from 1=discharged to 6=death) or discharged alive from hospital, whichever came first. Primary analysis was done in the intention-to-treat (ITT) population and safety analysis was done in all patients who started their assigned treatment. This trial is registered with ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT04257656.

Findings
    Between Feb 6, 2020, and March 12, 2020, 237 patients were enrolled and randomly assigned to a treatment group (158 to remdesivir and 79 to placebo); one patient in the placebo group who withdrew after randomisation was not included in the ITT population. Remdesivir use was not associated with a difference in time to clinical improvement (hazard ratio 1·23 [95% CI 0·87–1·75]). Although not statistically significant, patients receiving remdesivir had a numerically faster time to clinical improvement than those receiving placebo among patients with symptom duration of 10 days or less (hazard ratio 1·52 [0·95–2·43]). Adverse events were reported in 102 (66%) of 155 remdesivir recipients versus 50 (64%) of 78 placebo recipients. Remdesivir was stopped early because of adverse events in 18 (12%) patients versus four (5%) patients who stopped placebo early.

Interpretation
    In this study of adult patients admitted to hospital for severe COVID-19, remdesivir was not associated with statistically significant clinical benefits. However, the numerical reduction in time to clinical improvement in those treated earlier requires confirmation in larger studies.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,987
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I think this is just for weight loss supplements, not vitamins. Could be wrong, and either way it's government overreach.

Vitamins and supplements are scams to begin with. Nobody actually needs them. If the article is true, it’s just another way to line big pharma’s pockets.

Vitamins and supplements are a huge industry. Look at any IG model and somewhere she is advertising some detox tea and/or other supplements.

There are many people selling supplements thru their branding on social media and Amazon and do well. I have a friend that is a millionaire from it.
    Neither vitamin D nor zinc are a scam.
    If you eat right, you already get plenty of both.
    Not if you don't live in a sunny environment
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,904
    Standard Supporter

I think this is just for weight loss supplements, not vitamins. Could be wrong, and either way it's government overreach.

Vitamins and supplements are scams to begin with. Nobody actually needs them. If the article is true, it’s just another way to line big pharma’s pockets.

Vitamins and supplements are a huge industry. Look at any IG model and somewhere she is advertising some detox tea and/or other supplements.

There are many people selling supplements thru their branding on social media and Amazon and do well. I have a friend that is a millionaire from it.
    Then toss in sunscreen.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I stand corrected. Not all vitamins are scams. I don’t think they are really that important or add substantial benefit, but to each their own.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,987
    Founders Club

I stand corrected. Not all vitamins are scams. I don’t think they are really that important or add substantial benefit, but to each their own.
    Guys like Ben Greenfield say that multivitamins are essentially worthless, that we just pee them right out of the body. So I'm not saying that you're completely wrong.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Liquid B12 for Hangovers is the Shit.

Learned that from my alcoholic HS biology teacher.

Also learned about Hot AF Korean hookers from him.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584

Vitamin R is the only one that did fuck all for the Throbber.

J?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Can't help it, but I never liked the Vitamin R. Always an Olympia guy, like my dad and his beer buddies back in the 70s.

The best Yakima Valley Hops went into Grant's Scottish Ale and Galena Trail Ale in Sun Valley, which Grant's provided the hops to.

And that's not a humble brag. That's a giant fucking BRAG! Grant's and Galena were the SHIT!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2021

I rarely drink anymore but when I did, I tried a few of those pseudo bullshit hangover cure pills. They didn’t do anything.

I don’t remember what they were. I’m learning this info about B-12 too late.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584

I rarely drink anymore but when I did, I tried a few of those pseudo bullshit hangover cure pills. They didn’t do anything.

Im currently drinking and don't know what any of this shit is

So fuck you
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Im currently drinking and don't know what any of this shit is

So fuck you
    Same.

Some Bitcoin themed IPA by Cascadia Brothers and then this new brewery Cointoss Brewing in Oregon City, a pickle lager, obviously made with pickle juice. I don't see this brewery lasting long though once Kate Brown locks shit down again.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,803
    Swaye's Wigwam

For the most part, yeah. But vitamin D is one of the few supplements that most adults who aren't living in the sun belt can actually benefit from.
    Blacks are really deficient in Vitamin D. Probably one of the reasons that the chicom crud is harder on them. That and the diabetes and obesity. Still haven't heard any PSAs directed at blacks. New York City just banned about 65% of the black population from bars and restaurants. Not quite sure how you can expect blacks to get a free vaccine and a vaccine ID. Pretty damn racist.
    Vitamins are known to be racist.
  • Options
    hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    Sources said:

For the most part, yeah. But vitamin D is one of the few supplements that most adults who aren't living in the sun belt can actually benefit from.
    Blacks are really deficient in Vitamin D. Probably one of the reasons that the chicom crud is harder on them. That and the diabetes and obesity. Still haven't heard any PSAs directed at blacks. New York City just banned about 65% of the black population from bars and restaurants. Not quite sure how you can expect blacks to get a free vaccine and a vaccine ID. Pretty damn racist.
    Vitamins are known to be racist.
    We need to decolonize vitamins.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Can't help it, but I never liked the Vitamin R. Always an Olympia guy, like my dad and his beer buddies back in the 70s.

The best Yakima Valley Hops went into Grant's Scottish Ale and Galena Trail Ale in Sun Valley, which Grant's provided the hops to.

And that's not a humble brag. That's a giant fucking BRAG! Grant's and Galena were the SHIT!
    Vitamin R was $5.99 a case.

Nuff said.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

What the fuck
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First they came for my guns, then they came for my vitamin D.

Enough is enough!!
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

As someone who has been lifting for a decade I agree that MOST supplements are scams and jush pushed by IG fitness “influencers”. However, a lot of vitamins, specifically vitamin D if you are white as shit are very beneficial when supplemented with good nutrition. That’s the problem though people take vitamins but still stuff their face with donuts and pizza.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,749
    Lucky Lager 2.12 a 12 pack and they had little puzzles in the cap. Living large!