Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

BREAKING: Eldridge Recasner *gets it*

12346»

Comments

• Options
    hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

@dnc a q?

Can you tell me how many Americans live in rental properties and how many mom and pop single property, reliant on that income, owners there are?

That’s why you can have one without the other. It’s 100 million to maybe 3 million. As much as I’m not a fan of landlords, I don’t want those 3 million to suffer. Thankfully, there have been ways, and there continues to be ways, for them to get help.

Make sure you don’t think things are unfair because you identify more with the group getting less help. It’s about harm reduction, that’s all we want.

There aren't anywhere near 100 million Americans who can't reasonably pay their rent, that number is meaningless.

There's no reason virtually anyone should still be unable to pay rent baring disability, in which case there is other assistance available for them. Everywhere in the world is hiring right now. Vaccines have been free and widely distributed for months. There has been massive government assistance from stimuli to tax credits.

I have been on both ends of this having lived in multiple apartments and spare bedrooms. I've also had to kick my brother out of my house. It sucked, I was physically sick over it for days before and afterwards. I am not zealous to have a bunch of people put out of their homes. I do think eviction is a great motivator for following through with your commitment to pay rent, and when you take that motivator away you are asking people to take advantage of the system.

Bottom line, the government doesn't have the right to force people to continue letting someone live on their property for free. The CDC for sure doesn't even have anything close to that right.

All this is leading to is further corporatization of the housing industry which I'm shocked you are in support of.
    You said you can’t do one without the other. I think the 100 million number is meaningful because it’s about political will. Even if you shrink it down to people at risk, that doesn’t make the numbers look better for landlords.

I don’t care who the landlord is and, honestly, you explained why.

I do think eviction is a great motivator for following through with your commitment to pay rent

That’s not freedom, it’s coercion. I don’t see any difference between the corporations taking your money under threat of homelessness and the “little guy” taking your money under the threat of homelessness.
    So how does free housing for everyone work in your model?

Coercion is the government telling a landlord he doesn't own his property. Freedom is being able to earn enough to buy rent or live where your efforts allow

Your idea of freedom is strange to say the least

Make housing a right. There’s a million different ways to fill in the blanks.

In the extreme, would you say slaves being freed was a coercive act? It was the government telling someone they didn’t own their property anymore. I would say it wasn’t because the freedom to own that “property” was impeding on the freedom of the slaves to not be property.

It’s not apples to apples but, to me, the logical arrow follows. Owning property, specifically to rent it, is coercive and impedes on what I believe should be everyone’s right, a place to live.
    You seem to think that no one should 'own' property, but then you want someone or something to magically own it and then sort it out to everyone 'fairly'. What a fucking infant you are. I would tell you to study basic economics, but it's more fun to watch you self destruct and contradict yourself. Keep shitpoasting!
  • Options
    hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I don’t cherry pick anything.

There’s 8 million independent landlords. They own 24 million properties. They collect 300 billion in rent. Half of them depend on that income. There’s even cited sources in your link confirming these facts. I’m not going to not help 100 million Americans because there’s slightly less help for 4 million Americans.

I will concede that my first 3 million number was off and it’s 4 million, confirmed by your link. It was a pretty good ballpark since I didn’t have the actual numbers until you decided to get run over.

I’m sorry if this personally effects you. I remember business was booming after 2008 but maybe you should have saved a little bit more so you could handle the ups and downs of putting people on the street for income. If you need anything to help hold you over let me know, pretty much the only thing I’ve done with my money for the last year is loan it to boomers.

Gosh I love your maff skills. I don't think you've ever worked a day in your life.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Y’all haven’t figured out this troll job yet?

Sad.