Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dan Cozzetto?

Many watched UW's atrocious pass blocking and OL recruiting woes and drew the conclusion Cozz sucked.

Ken Griswold repeatedly dismissed those naysayers as know-nothings.

Chris Fetters suggested Cozzetto was a candidate for the ASU vacancy after Erickson was fired in 2011.

So why did Cozz get left behind when Sarkisian left for USC?

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Coz was a favorite once a year on the lemon trio's podcast.
  • Options
    kh83kh83 Member Posts: 596
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    BTW, what the fuck does that even mean that you don't want to see Cozzetto get mad? Since when does a coach getting pissed off nullify every negative attribute about him as a coach?

I remember poasters would have Tequila like poasts pointing out Cozzetto's flaws and the three man lemon party trio would just respond with a "You don't want to see Cozzetto when he gets mad" .
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014

BTW, what the fuck does that even mean that you don't want to see Cozzetto get mad? Since when does a coach getting pissed off nullify every negative attribute about him as a coach?

I remember poasters would have Tequila like poasts pointing out Cozzetto's flaws and the three man lemon party trio would just respond with a "You don't want to see Cozzetto when he gets mad" .

I went Tequilla style when I was on doogman with a post that tracked Coz's career. The guy did absolutely nothing since he was with ASU in the late 90's. It was the first time Kim used, "but Cozzetto has a lot of friends" and the now famous, "you wouldn't want to see Coz mad. Other posters even chimed in and blasted Kim. The thread had like 70 responses, then went poof. Kim said it turned into a pissing match.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Dan Cozzetto has really kicked around through a lot of jobs, mostly as an assistant to Dennis Erickson who himself was not known to stick any one place for long. I assume you know that Cozzetto like many on Sark's staff has origin history as player and coach in the Palouse (WSU and Idaho) where loser football is a proud tradition and was on Gilby's staff at UW in 2003. It's not clear from Cozzetto's resume what kind of coach he is or was. He's both a OL and RB position coach who was never a coordinator nor did he seem to be a strong recruiter. From the results on Sark's staff, we could guess that Cozzetto's coaching strength would be with the running game and definately not with pass protection blocking, but head coaches decide how much their program focus on teaching or developing the fundamentals of blocking and playing the OL position versus time spent running plays and developing schemes such as no-huddle hurry-up offenses. And apparently, Cozzetto had nothing to do with strength and conditioning so important to developing OLs.

It matters not what Dm.c thought of Cozzetto. The running offense was good to great during Sark's five years while the passing attack suffered at times the last three seasons because Cozzetto's OL struggled to protect Keith Price. I'll never understand how an offensive minded, pass-happy head coach like Sarkisian could tolerate such inconsistency...... and where the fuck was the OL recruiting? As I recall, Cozzetto was not the first choice for OL coach when Sark formed his staff and could have been a convenience hire. Yet Sark kept him on for five seasons while the OL appeared to struggle in fundamental ways. I think it's very possible that Cozzetto worked for a head coach who never fully appreciated the importance of developing consistently good OL play and Cozz himself lacked the ambition to do anything about it.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You guys don't get it, the oline wa young, not sark or cozetto's fault
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

You didn't want to see Holt get mad either.

Crap coach causation?

• Options
    chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    edited March 2014
    chuck said:

Kim loved Cozzetto because he gave good interviews and revealed things about the program and players that other coaches wouldn't reveal, at least not on record. He gave Kim the insider feel that he so desperately craves as well as being entertaining. Kim values sports entertainment over sports, aspiring to the ESPN model on a more intimate scale. Gawd what a fag.

The fatties just marched in lockstep. Cozz was a Kim favorite, so they defended him.

Yep. When Sark closed practices and started limiting access, Coz was the one guy who would still give Fatters a 15 minute interview. Probably because even Jude didn't give a fuck what our washed up line coach thought about anything. (To be fair, Jude probably is too lazy to care what any of the coaches think).
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Tailgater said:

Sark kept him on for five seasons while the OL appeared to struggle in fundamental ways. I think it's very possible that Cozzetto worked for a head coach who never fully appreciated the importance of developing consistently good OL play and Cozz himself lacked the ambition to do anything about it.

You're welcome.
  • Options
    Kim's agenda is so obvious. Mother Fucker gave Petermen shit for taking Strausser who actually has a good track record over Cozzetto.

His silence on Sark not taking him spoke volumes.
  • Options
    GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Cozzetto is an Erickson guy, who Neuheisel had hired and when he left he coached for a year before leaving to re-join Erickson. At the time, Neuheisel was known to have hired Cozzetto to toughen up his team, which was criticized for being soft. Cozzetto was known for the Marine Corp style of coaching, screaming and degrading players. The day Sark re-hired Cozzetto to Washigton was the day I knew we had trouble.

It can only be that Cozzetto had compromising photos of Sark from Joeys. Otherwise he would have been canned in the housecleaning after the Baylor game, or at worst when we changed OCs, which coincided with the worst OL performances I have ever seen in 2012.

Obviously Sark knew Cozzetto was not good after working with him. He left him behind for the Pete, who sent him packing with a $97,500 buyout.
  • Options
    Global said:

Cozzetto is an Erickson guy, who Neuheisel had hired and when he left he coached for a year before leaving to re-join Erickson. At the time, Neuheisel was known to have hired Cozzetto to toughen up his team, which was criticized for being soft.

I think your confusing Cozzetto with Keith Gilbertson. Neuheisel hired Gilby to whip the Husky OL into shape and the results were immediate success as Tui had a good unit to run behind. Gilby was a very good OL coach when he applied himself. I've looked at Cozzetto's resume in the past and I believe he coached at UW only one year on Gilby's 2003 staff before being hired in 2009 by Sark.

• Options
    Rick hired Cozz and Snow to add toughness. Remember the 2003 staff was Rick's since he was fired in June of 2003.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tailgater said:

Global said:

Cozzetto is an Erickson guy, who Neuheisel had hired and when he left he coached for a year before leaving to re-join Erickson. At the time, Neuheisel was known to have hired Cozzetto to toughen up his team, which was criticized for being soft.

I think your confusing Cozzetto with Keith Gilbertson. Neuheisel hired Gilby to whip the Husky OL into shape and the results were immediate success as Tui had a good unit to run behind. Gilby was a very good OL coach when he applied himself. I've looked at Cozzetto's resume in the past and I believe he coached at UW only one year on Gilby's 2003 staff before being hired in 2009 by Sark.

Coz did coach in 2003 for Gilby. He was hired by Rick though before Rick was fired. Gilby had been with Rick since he was hired in 99. Global had it right.
  • Options
    Tailgater said:

Global said:

Neuheisel hired Cozzetto and went through spring ball with him until Neuheisel was canned. Cozzetto continued in Gilby's first year, then left to rejoin Erickson, now at ASU.

It was only one season.
  • Options
    A postscript: I remember going to the spring practices in 2003 when Cozzetto just arrived on Neuheisel's staff. He was barking and cursing and screaming like there was no tomorrow. And Rick was watching with a shit-eating grin, because he had been criticized for being soft. Snow added some toughness, but Cozzetto appeared to be tough as nails.

After one season, with Rick now gone and Cozzetto was under Gilby, Cozzetto quit to rejoin Erickson. Normally players don't say much when their previous coaches leave. But Juan Garcia, who was no wuss, made a very revealing comments that has always stuck with me, about the new coaching teaching them and about the noise volume going down from the screaming so that the players could actually hear what the coaches said.

He made another funny comment in 2008-09 after he retired and he learned that Sark had hired Cozzetto to coach a fat flabby OL left behind by Willingham. About the arrival of offensive line coach Dan Cozzetto. Juan Garcia said it best when Cozetto was hired, "Those guys are going to die, they are just going to die!"
  • Options
    Global said:

Neuheisel hired Cozzetto and went through spring ball with him until Neuheisel was canned. Cozzetto continued in Gilby's first year, then left to rejoin Erickson, now at ASU.

It was only one season.

Okay..... you got me there. I did not know that RN had hired Cozzetto for the 2003 season. I also did not know that Brent Myers, who had succeeded Gilbertson in 2000 as OL coach, had been replaced after the 2002 season. I do recall that in regard to blocking for and protecting Cody Picket, the OL which was still young in 2002 sort of took a nosedive in 2003. The entire 2003 season with Gilby replacing RN was chaotic and shouldn't be accountable to any individual coach.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014
    I can't recall if Kim bashed Cozzetto, but in 2003 Todd Bachart's dad went on doogman and said all the players hated Cozzetto and he was a shitty coach. The board frequently bashed Cozzetto after that. Then when Cozzetto came back with Sark, he was all of a sudden considered a great coach.