Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

UW by a boat length

2»

Comments

• GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

chuck said:

You can always count on @chuck to bring the HIV to a thread.

I have been doing a lot of that lately. Probably just a phase. I hate the offseason.
    I remember my HIV phase.
    Full blown?
    I know you're being sarcastic but fully blown HIV is just AIDS.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,773 Founders Club

chuck said:

You can always count on @chuck to bring the HIV to a thread.

I have been doing a lot of that lately. Probably just a phase. I hate the offseason.
    I remember my HIV phase.
    Full blown?
    I know you're being sarcastic but fully blown HIV is just AIDS.
    AIDS superiority guy...
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,624 Standard Supporter
    So um even though we? won (the men anyway, the women lost in a tiebreaker and lost the V8) Callahan's post race comments sound a little bit influenced by a certain burned out former football coach.
    https://www.row2k.com/ira/features/2021/1841/IRA-2021--A-Bittersweet-Triumph/

The University of Washington came in as favorites and swept all five heavyweight events, and even for the frontrunners, Washington coach Mike Callahan said that appreciation of the experience and the sport was front of mind, especially after a long two years of waiting.

"Since 2019 and ‘20 we were really preaching that we have to take more moments to look around and enjoy the day-to-day of it - not just one data point at the championship at the end of the year and decide if we had a good year or bad year," Callahan said after the racing.

"We needed to enjoy our comradery and our team more, and even last year we were well on our way to that - then COVID happened and your season goes away from you. Everyone was really dedicated to come back, including the fifth year seniors, and I think it’s because they were enjoying it; enjoying rowing for rowing’s sake. And then even this week, I told them they were at the top of the mountain here, and you gotta look around at the view, regardless of what happens on race day. Results are gonna be the results, but you have to love the comradery and the sport for what it is and what it’s done for you and each other."

"So when we got here today, I felt really good, and even last night I thought, hey, you know, I really enjoyed this year in a way, the day-to-day: all of it. With these guys, it’s been really special that way, and I could even say one of the most special years of all my time coaching. The guys have been amazing. We asked them to change their lifestyles and they did it; we had no COVID interruptions; nothing. We said you get to live in the dorm and come to the boathouse, and that’s all they had, and they did it. And uh, the fact that they wanted to do it and they supported each other through all of that - I mean I didn’t think it was even possible at one point, but they did it and they kept saying they want to be here - and we kept saying we wanted to be here.

"In December, a lot of guys were doubtful about a season; they were hearing other coaches and universities, and we decided 'hey, this is our gunwale, our boathouse, and we’re not going to listen to all the noise out there. We had an opportunity to train, and if all we do is row on single the whole year, there’s some value to that. Singles will get you fit enough - if you row a single 30K across Lake Washington, or 40K around Mercer Island, that will get you fit!

"So that was the beauty of it. Many times I reflected along the way that they were doing it, and there are hard lessons and hard moments for sure. I mean it was difficult - it was almost emotional sometimes. We're moving forward as young people, to learn that when you have challenges in life, you have to face them, and that’s what this sport does for you."

And Callahan offered that doing a lot of rowing is not really a hardship.

"To have the opportunity to row, we were so fortunate; you can't go to big gatherings, but you can row every day. You have to make sure you have appreciation for that, because a lot of people did not have it so good these past two years. You have to look at that year as a luxury, to go out and row in singles with your buddies.

"You went through this challenge together, not alone on your parents’ couch; you’re here with each other. We are going to cherish this for all those things."

I dunno, maybe I am reading too much into it, but as we like to say, fuck perspective.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,091 Founders Club
    Sources said:

whlinder said:

So um even though we? won (the men anyway, the women lost in a tiebreaker and lost the V8) Callahan's post race comments sound a little bit influenced by a certain burned out former football coach.

The University of Washington came in as favorites and swept all five heavyweight events, and even for the frontrunners, Washington coach Mike Callahan said that appreciation of the experience and the sport was front of mind, especially after a long two years of waiting.

"Since 2019 and ‘20 we were really preaching that we have to take more moments to look around and enjoy the day-to-day of it - not just one data point at the championship at the end of the year and decide if we had a good year or bad year," Callahan said after the racing.

"We needed to enjoy our comradery and our team more, and even last year we were well on our way to that - then COVID happened and your season goes away from you. Everyone was really dedicated to come back, including the fifth year seniors, and I think it’s because they were enjoying it; enjoying rowing for rowing’s sake. And then even this week, I told them they were at the top of the mountain here, and you gotta look around at the view, regardless of what happens on race day. Results are gonna be the results, but you have to love the comradery and the sport for what it is and what it’s done for you and each other."

"So when we got here today, I felt really good, and even last night I thought, hey, you know, I really enjoyed this year in a way, the day-to-day: all of it. With these guys, it’s been really special that way, and I could even say one of the most special years of all my time coaching. The guys have been amazing. We asked them to change their lifestyles and they did it; we had no COVID interruptions; nothing. We said you get to live in the dorm and come to the boathouse, and that’s all they had, and they did it. And uh, the fact that they wanted to do it and they supported each other through all of that - I mean I didn’t think it was even possible at one point, but they did it and they kept saying they want to be here - and we kept saying we wanted to be here.

"In December, a lot of guys were doubtful about a season; they were hearing other coaches and universities, and we decided 'hey, this is our gunwale, our boathouse, and we’re not going to listen to all the noise out there. We had an opportunity to train, and if all we do is row on single the whole year, there’s some value to that. Singles will get you fit enough - if you row a single 30K across Lake Washington, or 40K around Mercer Island, that will get you fit!

"So that was the beauty of it. Many times I reflected along the way that they were doing it, and there are hard lessons and hard moments for sure. I mean it was difficult - it was almost emotional sometimes. We're moving forward as young people, to learn that when you have challenges in life, you have to face them, and that’s what this sport does for you."

"To have the opportunity to row, we were so fortunate; you can't go to big gatherings, but you can row every day. You have to make sure you have appreciation for that, because a lot of people did not have it so good these past two years. You have to look at that year as a luxury, to go out and row in singles with your buddies.

"You went through this challenge together, not alone on your parents’ couch; you’re here with each other. We are going to cherish this for all those things."

I dunno, maybe I am reading too much into it, but as we like to say, fuck perspective.
    Mike has coached 7 Natty winning crews.

I know the guy pretty well. He’s as competitive as it gets. Perspective laden quotes or not.

That's great - can he coach revenue sports?
    I wish.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Sources said:

whlinder said:

I know the guy pretty well. He’s as competitive as it gets. Perspective laden quotes or not.

That's great - can he coach revenue sports?
    If he could, he would.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,624 Standard Supporter
    edited May 2021

whlinder said:

Yeah I meant to add that Callahan >>>>>>> Peterman. I would equate him to Urbs at the worst in terms of rowing to football coaching analogies.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Forgot to add that @PurpleBaze and @Mad_Son ’s badgers were not very strong this year with an 11th place finish overall.

We don’t need no stinking badgers!
    dnc said:

Forgot to add that @PurpleBaze and @Mad_Son ’s badgers were not very strong this year with an 11th place finish overall.

We don’t need no stinking badgers!
    @creepycoug ?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4OcM23Hbs5U
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    edited June 2021
    39 NCAA D-1 schools with men’s competitive rowing . . . I wonder how many offer scholies . . . The Ivy’s don’t (in any sport).
    https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-rowing/colleges
    89 NCAA D-1 schools with women’s competitive rowing.
    trublue said:

39 NCAA D-1 schools with men’s competitive rowing . . . I wonder how many offer scholies . . . The Ivy’s don’t (in any sport).
    https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-rowing/colleges
    89 NCAA D-1 schools with women’s competitive rowing.

Cal and Washington both have scholarships for Men's Rowing (10- 12 full rides typically). However, these are paid for out of private endowments vs the school's athletic dept. budget and therefore don't count against Title IX numbers. Oregon St doesn't have scholarships for Men's Rowing and I'm not sure about Stanford's team.

I feel like the Ivy's substitute "academic aid" or something of the like to make up for not having athletic scholarships.
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    Thanks for the info, Snow . . , Interesting.