Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Portland...

Comments

• Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,402
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Goduckies said:

Seams ok other than by Union Station to my hotel area... Washington Park was beautiful.

Great photo by the way.
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Kaepsknee said:

MLB in Portland is a hilarious thought. Wilson and the other tards need to give it up. MLB ain’t coming. Timber’s games are basically an LGBT/ANTIFA rally. Baseball could just pick vegas and save themselves a lot of trouble.

Bring back the Mavericks!
    Done and done.

https://www.kptv.com/news/salem-keizer-volcanoes-announce-new-independent-baseball-league-return-of-portland-mavericks/article_b522ed28-5fe8-11eb-96d8-130b8bd9f639.html

And a must watch for any Baseball fan.

https://www.netflix.com/title/70299904

Kurt Russell’s dad was an OG of epic proportions.
    When I was a kid, Kurt Russell was a big Disney movie star (computer wore tennis shoes, etc). I would get his autograph after the games. He and his dad would talk with me and the other vagabond kids who hung around long after the game was finished. Super nice people. Then I saw his father on television like on Bonanza and couldn't believe he was a movie star too so next time I saw him he talked to me about acting in a Western television show. Just solid human beings.
    The original Portland Mavericks played at Civic Stadium from 1973-1977 . . . Kurt Russell played on the inaugural team in 1973.

Hmmm . . . You got his autograph when you were a kid? What year did you graduate from Aloha High School? ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Speaking of the original Portland Mavericks, the player-manager was Frank “the Flake” Peters, former OSU basketball star who played in NCAA final four in 1963.

When I worked at The Oregonian sports department in college, we’d always head down to Peter’s Inn after work.

Frank was full of it.

Frank got busted for having multiple grow houses in the Portland area and served time.

Never knew about the statutory rape conviction until I saw this article.

Frank has a way of keeping his name in the news.

https://www.oregonlive.com/history/2019/07/frank-the-flake-peters-tried-to-win-governorship-one-barfly-at-a-time-gathered-oregonians-worries-in-sacred-book.html
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,572
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    trublue said:

Take a walk around downtown . . . a nice long walk.

Go to around where Ex Novo brewing is, by the Moda Center. Walk around, toward Labrewatory. You'll see a third world country. That entire area used to be all breweries and restaurants, including the giant Widmer Brothers Brewery/Sports Bar. It's almost all boarded up now. The McMenamins just down the street might be the only place you can actually sit down inside and get lunch and a beer.

Walk up the hill up Mississippi. There's still a bunch of restaurants there but it pales in comparison to what it used to be. Also the "Red House" is in that area, if want to look at up what that was.

Was a gentrifying, awesome place for young professionals. Even @TheEkonomyStopper could get a decent job. Completely fucked now.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,946
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Was in a 'third world country' recently.

It was so much fucking nicer than the shitholes that comprise much of Portland and Seattle. There weren't acres of homeless encampments occupied by drug addicts. There weren't needles and feces on the sidewalks. There weren't bums passed out in the doorways of businesses.

We toured some pretty rough neighborhoods - part of the 'have nots' as our tour guide called it. Still not as bad as the shitholes in Portland and Seattle and Spokane and Eugene and SF and LA.

• Options
    GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,388
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Yeah I'm sure some areas are bad... just saying that what I saw wasn't the end of the world, but again I am used to it living in SF for so long
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,755
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

It was so much fucking nicer than the shitholes that comprise much of Portland and Seattle. There weren't acres of homeless encampments occupied by drug addicts. There weren't needles and feces on the sidewalks. There weren't bums passed out in the doorways of businesses.

We toured some pretty rough neighborhoods - part of the 'have nots' as our tour guide called it. Still not as bad as the shitholes in Portland and Seattle and Spokane and Eugene and SF and LA.

How is Alberta these days?
  • Options

How is Alberta these days?
    Prolly cold.

The Throbber's third world country visits include dank bud, sandy beaches and gulf stream breezes, mon.

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,021
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    trublue said:

Speaking of the original Portland Mavericks, the player-manager was Frank “the Flake” Peters, former OSU basketball star who played in NCAA final four in 1963.

When I worked at The Oregonian sports department in college, we’d always head down to Peter’s Inn after work.

Frank was full of it.

Frank got busted for having multiple grow houses in the Portland area and served time.

Never knew about the statutory rape conviction until I saw this article.

Frank has a way of keeping his name in the news.

https://www.oregonlive.com/history/2019/07/frank-the-flake-peters-tried-to-win-governorship-one-barfly-at-a-time-gathered-oregonians-worries-in-sacred-book.html

Frank also made it to Triple A baseball. Played with Heisman Trophy winner Terry Baker who was also on that Final Four OSU basketball team. Played pick up ball with Peters at the Willamette Athletic Club in the 1980s and he could still play. Worked downtown and went to Peter's Inn a lot. Great bloody marys and they never checked for ID. Had an 18 year old girl friend one summer and she never got checked. Good times.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

A must see if you have any nostalgia for the 1970's.
  • Options

A must see if you have any nostalgia for the 1970's.

Only, like, every fucking day....
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,599
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Seattle can’t even support MLB. Not sure why people think Portland can.

No way in hell MLB allows a franchise to relocate there and no way in hell a group of serious investors put skin in the game on something like that.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Kaepsknee said:

MLB in Portland is a hilarious thought. Wilson and the other tards need to give it up. MLB ain’t coming. Timber’s games are basically an LGBT/ANTIFA rally. Baseball could just pick vegas and save themselves a lot of trouble.

Done and done.

https://www.kptv.com/news/salem-keizer-volcanoes-announce-new-independent-baseball-league-return-of-portland-mavericks/article_b522ed28-5fe8-11eb-96d8-130b8bd9f639.html

When I was a kid, Kurt Russell was a big Disney movie star (computer wore tennis shoes, etc). I would get his autograph after the games. He and his dad would talk with me and the other vagabond kids who hung around long after the game was finished. Super nice people. Then I saw his father on television like on Bonanza and couldn't believe he was a movie star too so next time I saw him he talked to me about acting in a Western television show. Just solid human beings.
    I don’t give a fuuuucckk about baseball and I loved that doc.
  • Options
    thechatch said:

No way in hell MLB allows a franchise to relocate there and no way in hell a group of serious investors put skin in the game on something like that.

That ship sailed long ago . . . Who would be stupid enough to pay for building a stadium and where would they build it?

• Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,599
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    trublue said:

thechatch said:

That ship sailed long ago . . . Who would be stupid enough to pay for building a stadium and where would they build it?

Montgomery Park is perfect, bro! 🤣
  • Options
    trublue said:

Kaepsknee said:

Done and done.

The original Portland Mavericks played at Civic Stadium from 1973-1977 . . . Kurt Russell played on the inaugural team in 1973.

Hmmm . . . You got his autograph when you were a kid? What year did you graduate from Aloha High School? ;-)
    I graduated Aloha in 1979. In 73 I was 12. 6-7th grade. Kurt used to wear some sort of goggles/big rimmed glasses. Had a great arm. Any other questions?
  • Options

Kaepsknee said:

Done and done.

You just made me watch it again, Goddamnit!
  • Options

Kaepsknee said:

Done and done.

The guy who used the broom. We thought that was the funniest thing we had ever seen. The documentary brought back many great memories. The first year we would be taken by my friends mother who loved baseball and the Mavericks. The second year on we would take Tri Met. I can't imagine letting my 13 yr old take Tri Met to Portland from Aloha these days without an adult along. Times have changed.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,021
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    trublue said:

Kaepsknee said:

Done and done.

Dimer night at Civic Stadium to watch the Maverick's was something else. I was sort of 21, my brother was not, but not a lot of ID required.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

You guys and your faggy childhood Portland minor league memories.

Winners win.